• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

Speculation on Red Wings

Rate this topic

This ’n’ that:

-- The Red Wings’ biggest concern outside of trying to arm-twist Nick Lidstrom into coming back one more year to tutor young Brendan Smith is trying to convince unrestricted free agent defenceman Brad Stuart, their second-pairing blue-liner, to hang around. His family still lives in California and sources say he will sign with either the San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings or Anaheim Ducks. Stuart is 32. I wonder if San Jose would want him back; they drafted him originally. Tomas Holmstrom is likely quitting, too and Todd Bertuzzi might not be back, along with Jiri Hudler, who isn’t one of coach Mike Babcock’s favourites, although he praised Hudler the other day after a two-goal game.

-- As much as Shea Weber is a horse in Nashville, the Red Wings really like the Predators Ryan Suter, who will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and plays a league-leading 27:03 a night. If Nashville can’t sign him by the trade deadline, Preds GM David Poile will be moving him. That’s where Detroit comes in.

—If Ryan Smyth was available at the trade deadline, would the Detroit Red Wings be sniffing around? I say yes. Tomas Holmstrom, who turns 39 this month, gives them the same sort of net presence, but he isn’t a top-six guy any longer. He’s on their fourth line with some power-play time.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Hockey+World+Ducks+Getzlaf+likely+staying/5962984/story.html

Those are some pretty good ideas. I myself really hope Stuart re-sign. I'm hoping we convince Stuart somehow to stay, give him a long term contract and during the summer maybe his family can move to Detroit.

This is the year for us to improve and get better then we are right now. We will have 24M in cap space, we still have our core guys signed, We just got to sign Helm, Abdelkader, Conner, Stuart, and Lids. We are probably going to drop Conklin, Hudler (Unless we resigns for one more season), Bertuzzi is probably going to retire along with Homstrom.

But overall, I'm feeling good about the Trade deadline and Free Agent Time :)

i see nyquist taking homers spot maybe not at first but eventually

i see mursak and emmerton full time

stuart resigns

commodore is let go. smith full time

some lame defense pickup what no one wants so prob not weber or suter

but in my fantasy we get bobby ryan, suter rupp/moen and lids resigns :D

Ryan Smith isn't leaving Edmonton. What's wrong with you people? It's like saying Selanne is going to leave Anaheim. Both not happening. As for Shea Weber I'll pass on and Suter meh. I'd rather have Lids one more year, somehow resign Stu and get Smith involved big time. Although losing Lids and Stu seems very realistic.

If you think Bobby Ryan can be had for a 3rd liner and some picks, you need to get your head checked...

And stop playing a franchise with the Wings in NHL 12. Bobby Ryan would almost certainly cost us a top 3 prospect, Roster player, and maybe a 1st and another pick (cause our picks aren't exactly great). Ottawa's GM didn't do anyone besides Don Maloney any favors with that Turris trade. Rundblad and a good pick for Turris means a fortune for Bobby Ryan.

Ryan Smith isn't leaving Edmonton. What's wrong with you people? It's like saying Selanne is going to leave Anaheim. Both not happening. As for Shea Weber I'll pass on and Suter meh. I'd rather have Lids one more year, somehow resign Stu and get Smith involved big time. Although losing Lids and Stu seems very realistic.

#1. Don't be 100% sure Selanne wouldn't leave Anaheim. If Anaheim is gonna stink it up the rest of the year, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him waive his NTC. This guy doesn't scream Captain loyalty.

#2. "MEh" to Suter? You'll pass on Weber?! If there was a chance we could get either of those guys it would be an enormous break. Considering Lidstrom's retirement and Nashville being in our division, Holland would be borderline nuts not to do it.

And stop playing a franchise with the Wings in NHL 12. Bobby Ryan would almost certainly cost us a top 3 prospect, Roster player, and maybe a 1st and another pick (cause our picks aren't exactly great). Ottawa's GM didn't do anyone besides Don Maloney any favors with that Turris trade. Rundblad and a good pick for Turris means a fortune for Bobby Ryan.

Tatar, Kindl, and a first rounder fits your description, but I don’t think that would be enough.

#1. Don't be 100% sure Selanne wouldn't leave Anaheim. If Anaheim is gonna stink it up the rest of the year, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him waive his NTC. This guy doesn't scream Captain loyalty.

#2. "MEh" to Suter? You'll pass on Weber?! If there was a chance we could get either of those guys it would be an enormous break. Considering Lidstrom's retirement and Nashville being in our division, Holland would be borderline nuts not to do it.

1. Selanne is retiring a duck. End of. I don't care how bad the Ducks are unless they are offered the greatest package in league history Selanne isn't leaving.

2. Meh to Suter? Yeah I find him to be very lazy defensively but good offensively. Shoot me. I don't mind him I just don't think he would fit on our team. Opinion of course I don't expect everyone to agree. We'll see what Holland does if Suter's still on the market if something doesn't happen to Suter before then. I'll pass on Weber too cause well he's on a division rival same with Suter. I don't see Holland making many moves bringing guys in from our division rivals. Like ever. Have you? Ok forgot Chelios. After that I think the answer is none.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Suter is definitely the better option out of him and Weber, but to whoever suggested trading Stuart to San Jose I must wag my finger at you. Do you really want to wind up facing Stuart in the playoffs on a strong team like San Jose? Stuart is one of the better stay-at-home defensemen in the league, and always seems to make the crazy "I think I'm a goalie" stops when defense breaks down. I sure don't want to have the Wings play against him in the playoffs.

Guest blueadams

That original rumor doesn't make sense...

#1) We want Lidstrom to return to mentor Smith - that's two defenseman.

2) We want Stuart to return - that's three.

3) We want Suter - that's four.

4) Kronwall and White - that's six.

...Is the 3 million dollar man (Ericsson) going to be out of the regular lineup next year?

The rumors are either collectively wrong, or someone's about to be dealt.

I know they WANT Lidstrom back, but I really don't think he comes back. He's only going to play so long as he feels that competitive urge. And if he's considered retirement twice already, he'll probably want to retire. But who knows, maybe he'll pull a Hasek and come back the year after.

He could play another year, but it's about how he feels at this point. If he doesn't feel he can play at the top of his game, even if he's still better than everyone else, he hangs it up.

The only problem I have with this article is using Quitting and Holmstrom in the same sentence. Tiny detail of the piece, but I could think of much better words to use in replacement after being in the league for 16 years. After his career, if that's called quitting....I want to be a quitter too.

I would be suprised if Bert goes anywhere. He's mentioned that he would love to finish his career in Detroit if given the chance and I would guess he would be willing to do it on the cheap. He's proven to be a good teammate and will play on any of the top 3 lines if asked.

That original rumor doesn't make sense...

#1) We want Lidstrom to return to mentor Smith - that's two defenseman.

2) We want Stuart to return - that's three.

3) We want Suter - that's four.

4) Kronwall and White - that's six.

...Is the 3 million dollar man (Ericsson) going to be out of the regular lineup next year?

The rumors are either collectively wrong, or someone's about to be dealt.

Nothing happens until Lidstrom makes his decision and being the classy guy that he is he usually makes that decision with enough time for management to adjust ( especially if he decides to hang em up this year ). Lids stays then there is no way obviously that Suter is an option. Either way I like our D. Stuart is key though, it's going to be hard to keep him here.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I expect Stuart to be gone as he wants to be closer to his family which is understandable. If Suter is available on July 1st then Kenny will do his very best to sign him. So will the other 29 teams, Smyth likely wants to retire as an Oiler so he will be staying in Edmonton. The way Nick is playing, I think he comes back. If his game had slipped a little bit then he'd likely retire. But he's shown no decline from last season. Homer will retire and neither Bert nor Hudler will be back. Mursak, Emmerton and Nyquist should be on the team next season. Holland needs to get a good back-up goalie to spell off Howard. Ruutu would be a good fit on the Wings at the trade deadline. However my gut says a team like the Blues or Hawks will overpay for him. I'd like Kenny to add another top 6 forward but that's easier said than done. The Wings are in decent shape right now with room for improvement. But their is no need for panic or desperation moves which is what most teams do at the trade deadline and on July 1st.

The only problem I have with this article is using Quitting and Holmstrom in the same sentence. Tiny detail of the piece, but I could think of much better words to use in replacement after being in the league for 16 years. After his career, if that's called quitting....I want to be a quitter too.

No kidding. It's a tiny detail but a strange word choice. When you're 38 years old, have played in the NHL for as long as Homer has especially given the beating he takes in front of the net every game, it's called retiring.

I would be suprised if Bert goes anywhere. He's mentioned that he would love to finish his career in Detroit if given the chance and I would guess he would be willing to do it on the cheap. He's proven to be a good teammate and will play on any of the top 3 lines if asked.

Nothing happens until Lidstrom makes his decision and being the classy guy that he is he usually makes that decision with enough time for management to adjust ( especially if he decides to hang em up this year ). Lids stays then there is no way obviously that Suter is an option. Either way I like our D. Stuart is key though, it's going to be hard to keep him here.

Suter will still be a likely target if Lidstrom stays. We'll still have the money, and this summer is the best crop of free agent defensemen in years I think. So even if Lidstrom stays we'll still need someone to fill in and this will be our best chance to get one. Suter is a target no matter what.

If Lidstrom plays another year and Stuart stays as well. I hope that they go after a real good goal scorer. I would like to see Hudlers money go towards that.

We are in big trouble if Stuart and Lids go in the same year. Suter would be great but he is going to get offered crazy money and is he worth it?

Honest question here: with all the talk of Stuart leaving, I seem to recall hearing something here (uncited, IIRC) about him selling his California (San Jose?) home. Does he hold another home in SoCal? Did he relocate his family to Detroit?

If that rumor was true, it would stand to reason that one of the two scenarios above is likely and would definitely play into his decision as to where to play next year.