• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

I don't know about that Franzen,Stuart and Hudler for Ryan IMO is defintly an overpayment

If they weren't UFA's after this season, you would be correct. Their contracts substantially decrease their trade value- i.e. teams see the players as a rental.

#62 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

I'd love it if we traded Stu to SJ for a few picks, then bring in Suter. Follow that up with trading a 3rd/4th liner and draft picks, for Bobby Ryan.

I hope not Stu is the 2nd best D-man we have and the most consistent physical player we have
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#63 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hopefully this is just Holland playing it close to his vest.

The Detroit Red Wings have more cap space than they’ve ever had since this system was put in place in 2005. They’ll be looking to add, but not at all costs.

"We got cap space, I’m going to work the phones like I always do over the next six to seven weeks," Wings GM Ken Holland told ESPN.com Thursday. "If there’s a fit, we’ll do something, but if there isn’t, I don’t feel the urge to do something for the sake of doing something. I like our team."

http://espn.go.com/b...tough-decisions

#64 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

I hope your right Harold. I like this team too but not sure how deep in the playoffs they get with this line up. Even a minor change could inject some hungar.

#65 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

The Detroit Red Wings have more cap space than they’ve ever had since this system was put in place in 2005. They’ll be looking to add, but not at all costs.

"We got cap space, I’m going to work the phones like I always do over the next six to seven weeks," Wings GM Ken Holland told ESPN.com Thursday. "If there’s a fit, we’ll do something, but if there isn’t, I don’t feel the urge to do something for the sake of doing something. I like our team."

When I read that, I think two things. The first is that Holland obviously isn't prepared to trade a 1st round pick, a top 3 prospect, and an above average roster player for a guy like Parise. I'd have to agree with this approach. The second thing I think about, and what concerns me the most, is how much does he like this team? I like the team too, but there are obvious areas for improvement. Holland knows this, so I think this is the part of the quote that Holland displays any real kind of diplomacy or slyness. I can't see him coming out and saying "I don't think we can win without another top six winger and grit in the bottom six." BUT if he really think's this team can't be improved by swapping fringe assets for a Moen-type, or trading a non bank-breaking package for a top six guy like Ruutu, then I'd have to question his judgement. I doubt this is the case though.

Basically, what I take away from that quote is that he won't mortgage the future for a rental or get in a crazy bidding war for that top six winger every playoff team wants.

Edit to add: any LGW sleuths want to try and dig up some pre-deadline quotes form Holand in 08 before he traded a 4th round pick for Brad Stewart? I bet he was saying the same type of thing then

Edited by rick zombo, 13 January 2012 - 12:55 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#66 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

I never take anything seriously Holland says anymore. Who know what he is thinking, but if he can't work out a deal with the Yotes for Doan it will be disappointing... Greg Campbell would be great for that gritty bottom six guy.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors