• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 Mike375

Mike375

Do You Believe In Miracles?

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Once again, I'm not saying what Marchand did was right, but it's no worse than a well timed hip check and if Salo had gotten low when delivering the hit, this wouldn't have happened, if anything he would have just landed on top of him... they both were at fault here and Salo is JUST as responsible for going head over heels on this one...

I feel like I'm watching a different video than you. I'm not sure how that clip has any relation to a hip check. Hip checks rarely catch a person squarely in the knees. And how is Salo responsible in any way? He came in and appeared to be going shoulder to shoulder. Nothing in that video really shows Salo doing anything illegal, dirty, or otherwise unsportsmanlike.

Edit: I don't feel Marchand should face discipline for it, imo slightly dirty but not terribly so.

Edited by Mike375, 09 January 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#22 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

I feel like I'm watching a different video than you. I'm not sure how that clip has any relation to a hip check. Hip checks rarely catch a person squarely in the knees. And how is Salo responsible in any way? He came in and appeared to be going shoulder to shoulder. Nothing in that video really shows Salo doing anything illegal, dirty, or otherwise unsportsmanlike.

Edit: I don't feel Marchand should face discipline for it, imo slightly dirty but not terribly so.

The physics to "clipping" and upending someone with a hip check, sending them head over heels, is exactly the same... Where's the confusion? It's not the intent I'm referring to - it's the physics of the hit

How is Salo NOT responsible? He shouldn't have been that upright when coming in on a check to Marchand in the first place, UNLESS he was aiming to hit high, the guy has damn near 6 inches on Marchand...

Once again, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, I don't know how many times I can say that I don't think what Marchand did was right or very respectful, but I don't think Salo was by any means a victim here either and Salo could have easily prevented the outcome by getting lower... Salo is not generally a dirty player, but his form looks very incriminating there and I find it HARD to believe he was not purposely going high on that hit...

As the old saying goes, use your head out there...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#23 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Once again, I'm not saying what Marchand did was right, but it's no worse than a well timed hip check and if Salo had gotten low when delivering the hit, this wouldn't have happened, if anything he would have just landed on top of him... they both were at fault here and Salo is JUST as responsible for going head over heels on this one...

You can call it well timed I guess..we can argue about this all day but it's clear Marchand's intended point of contact was very low. If I was smarter I would post come videos of some quality hit checks from youtube but that is way out of my technical area. Its a fine line with hip checks, lots of factors to determine like point of contact, size of the people involved etc...

Komisarek on Lucic - I find this one similar to the Marchand hit..very low

Ballard on Miller - I think this is text book even though it's on a Wing, hip to hip

It's a really fine line and everyone's point is different I guess. Open for discussion.

The physics to "clipping" and upending someone with a hip check, sending them head over heels, is exactly the same... Where's the confusion? It's not the intent I'm referring to - it's the physics of the hit

How is Salo NOT responsible? He shouldn't have been that upright when coming in on a check to Marchand in the first place, UNLESS he was aiming to hit high, the guy has damn near 6 inches on Marchand...

Once again, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, I don't know how many times I can say that I don't think what Marchand did was right or very respectful, but I don't think Salo was by any means a victim here either and Salo could have easily prevented the outcome by getting lower... Salo is not generally a dirty player, but his form looks very incriminating there and I find it HARD to believe he was not purposely going high on that hit...

As the old saying goes, use your head out there...

I don't think the hit was the cleanest but I do agree that discipline is not necessary at all here whether its a fine or suspension. The only thing that may change the way this is looked at is because Salo has a concussion and obviously the C word is a pretty sensitive subject these days.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#24 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

That's stupid. I don't really have a comment on Marchand, but to blame this on Salo is ignorant.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#25 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

To bad it was Salo, he's a good guy. Would of rather it be Kesler or one of the Sundin's.

Marchand will get 3 games and guys will think twice when they go to hit him next time.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#26 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

I don't know about a suspension, but a fine should be levied. Salo wasn't coming in hot and had his elbows down. Dirty knee check.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#27 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

I may be one of the few but I think going for someones knees is worse than a headshot personally. Youre brought up to not do that.

This is what you get if you make a habit of targetting knees, s*** can end a career

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,296 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

I don't know about a suspension, but a fine should be levied. Salo wasn't coming in hot and had his elbows down. Dirty knee check.

Agreed.

the 5 and game he got was enough and throw a fine on it for good measure. Because it's Marchand and Salo got hurt though, I'm guessing he'll get a couple games. I don't think he was running at Salo's knees, but he bailed out of being hit and got way too low for it to be a good hip check.

Nucks fans were bitching about him not even trying to play the puck, but Salo wasn't either.

#29 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

And this, I could agree with 100%...

I just don't see how it warrants a suspension...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#30 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

You can call it well timed I guess..we can argue about this all day but it's clear Marchand's intended point of contact was very low. If I was smarter I would post come videos of some quality hit checks from youtube but that is way out of my technical area. Its a fine line with hip checks, lots of factors to determine like point of contact, size of the people involved etc...

Komisarek on Lucic - I find this one similar to the Marchand hit..very low

Ballard on Miller - I think this is text book even though it's on a Wing, hip to hip

Interesting that you showed Ballard as an example of a good hip check, he was asked about the Marchand hit and here is what he had to say:

Keith Ballard is one of the best hip-checkers and has been called for clipping because the league obviously wants to avoid serious knee injuries. But in a puck-possession play against Jordin Tootoo on April 28, Ballard was assessed a two-minute minor for clipping. Whether that action and what Marchand did are in the same clipping category is what the league needs to better define.

"Normally when I do that, the guy has the puck and the guy is coming down on me and trying to beat me," Ballard said of his hip-checking ability. "There is a difference and anybody who says there's not a difference is an idiot."

*** And yes I realize Ballard is not unbiased as he is Salo's teammate.***

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#31 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

IT wasnt a cheap hit since Marchand had the puck. He also didn't go too low in my opinion. Watch the Scuderi hit on Chimera, now that is a clip.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#32 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

IT wasnt a cheap hit since Marchand had the puck. He also didn't go too low in my opinion. Watch the Scuderi hit on Chimera, now that is a clip.

Agreed.

Ya wanna see low?..Check out some hits by the "Lethal Lithuanian" aka Darius Kasparitis.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#33 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Agreed.

the 5 and game he got was enough and throw a fine on it for good measure. Because it's Marchand and Salo got hurt though, I'm guessing he'll get a couple games. I don't think he was running at Salo's knees, but he bailed out of being hit and got way too low for it to be a good hip check.

Nucks fans were bitching about him not even trying to play the puck, but Salo wasn't either.

I agree. It was a dirty play, but I think 5 and a game plus a fine are enough. To me, there is a very blurred line between a hip check and a clip and I wouldn't want to job of determining what is and is not a hip check.

#34 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm not sure how much lower he needs to go in order to consider this a clip...maybe if he were crawling on all fours, or perhaps touched his nose to Salo's laces.

Attached File  Marchand-Salo-hit1.jpg   120.84KB   22 downloads

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#35 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

and you're ignorant if you can't see HOW he's at least partially responsible... I never put the SOLE onus of the outcome on Salo, don't put words in my mouth...

Your words:

How is Salo NOT responsible?

#36 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Some of you need to watch the clip again.

Anything lower than about this height (yes I know, different angle blahblahblah)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1uhorF5LA

IS A CLIP (see IILeiBlazeII's post above [Clipping].

Since there is an obvious double standard for the Bruins...I doubt he will be suspended, though he should get 3 games.

Edited by syntax, 09 January 2012 - 04:33 PM.

The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#37 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

It wasn't a good hockey play at all. It was a cheap shot end of discussion
IPB Image

#38 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Marchand should be suspended just for having such an annoying face.

He acts tough because he knows he's backed up by such a tough team. I'd like to see this ***** pull his antics in another uniform.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#39 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Marchand should be suspended just for having such an annoying face.

He acts tough because he knows he's backed up by such a tough team. I'd like to see this ***** pull his antics in another uniform.

That's funny, during the broadcast one of the commentators made mention that Pouliot never acted so tough before he played with the Bruins.

#40 Steve Sample

Steve Sample

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Marchand gets 5 games