Yikes. Pretty steep.

I would have thought 2-3 games max.

#42 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

Brendan's video explanation is pretty good, I don't really see how anybody could argue it.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#43 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

His explanation makes sense.

Not a huge deal.

Posted Image

#44 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

Marchand should be suspended just for having such an annoying face.

Marchand gets 5 games

I think 4 1/2 of those games are just because of his annoying ugly face. The other half might be for his weasel demeanor.

Oh and this picture reminds me of the Wings fans laughing at Selanne. Except that one guy seems to be grimacing.

Posted Image

#45 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

I don't have the link to the Shanny Video but he explains his reasons well. Targeting knees cannot happen and with Marchands history I say good call!

#46 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

I don't have the link to the Shanny Video but he explains his reasons well. Targeting knees cannot happen and with Marchands history I say good call!

NHL.com always has it.

#47 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

What killed Marchand's credibility is the fact that the exact same play happened less than 20 seconds before the clip and Marchand didn't feel the need to "instinctively" crouch down...that and he retaliated after the first hit as well. Not really too hard for Shanny to see through the bulls*** on that one.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#48 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Wow. I figured 2-3 games....but I'm fine with this since Marchand is slew-footing s***head.

Suspension Video:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=148388

Followup:

Suspension
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#49 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Suspension Video

Every time I watch one of those I always think that moving star in the background of the bullet point portion of the video is like a presentation effect so that the star will come forward and explode into the bullet point text. If that makes any sense.

#50 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

Posted Image

"Five games?!"

Posted Image

"F U Shanahan!"
  • Ram likes this

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#51 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

I think it's too many games. But with Salo being concussed and the player involved being Marchand, who's been suspended for elbowing and fined for slew-footing, 5 games isn't going to keep me up at night.

#52 malts85

malts85

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

So correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this hit similar to the one Marchand gave Salo? The only difference I saw was Subban kind of turned.

#53 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2maEVaQ3EQ

So correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this hit similar to the one Marchand gave Salo? The only difference I saw was Subban kind of turned.

well for starters, Ovechkin didn't drive shoulder first into Subban's knee as you can see Marchand doing here
Attached File  Marchand-Salo-hit1.jpg   120.84KB   6 downloads

, and in live video here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GN2cFZ1oMA.

Ovi's is a hip check, legs extended, torso parallel to the ice surface, etc. Marchand's was a deliberate targeting of the knee, as per Shanny's explanation seen here, http://video.nhl.com...id=60&id=148388

#54 malts85

malts85

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

Thanks, I didn't notice the shoulder going into the knees.

#55 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

no prob.

#56 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

Eh, I've watched this a million times. The first time I saw it, I was surprised it was a penalty. It looks like Salo tries to hit him, he ducks and Salo goes flying over him. When you slow it down it looks like maybe Marchand is trying to lay down a hip check on Salo. I don't know. 5 games is too steep for a play, that I thought, looked fine at regular speed.

#57 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

I get the feeling a lot if people didn't play hockey and don't appreciate how dirty this play really is. Im ok with 5, just wanted him suspended.

#58 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:30 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGD5DbljtfE

Ok...My take on this...At the start of this longer video of the hit - we see #6 Salo, and #63 Marchand tangle along the boards...They seperate...Puck comes around once more along the boards...Both players going for it - although at the last second Marchand dips his shoulder, and submarines Salo.

Now at the 1:58 mark - in slow motion I see Marchand duck down, and Salo turns slightly as though he's bracing for impact...The point of contact isn't so much Marchand's shoulder to Salo's knee...IMHO it's more of Marchand's shoulder/upper back into Salo's left thigh/hamstring (2:13 of the vid).

I personally won't lose any sleep over Shanahan's decision; I honestly would've been shocked had there wasn't a suspension...For those calling out Marchand as a little weasel - yeah he has some of those qualities, but he's also stood up for himself by fighting Subban/Niskanen/Cogliano.

I may get flamed for saying this, but I'd love to have Marchand on the Red Wings...Just like Perry - he'd be "our" little douchebag for others to hate.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#59 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

I'm not ready to say the guy is a weasel, or a dirty player, but I think it was kind of a dirty play and honestly, I sometimes like dirty play, particularly from guys who you expect it from. I was always a big Maltby and Chelios fan, so I'd be a hypocrite if I condemned the guy for a dirty play, but he got caught and now he has to do the time.

#60 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

Marchand's not a bad guy,

I'll have to disagree with that. He is a talented little s*** who is not a stranger of cheap shots (along with the rest of the Boston team).

Anyone have a video of the game in Boston last year where Marchand tried to fight Eaves in a Wing's blowout and Eaves was like "get the f*** out of here"?