• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#321 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

Being a little tired is no excuse for this. They are way too good to phone in a game against the third worst team in the league.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#322 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

Just didn't show up. <_<

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 11 January 2012 - 12:05 AM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#323 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

That's an excuse. The Red Wings inability to show up for games has been a problem for years.

Umm... what? Oh, OK. So I guess they're the only team that ever plays bad games. Got it. Or maybe teams just sometimes play bad games and that's normal, and it happens to all teams. Yeah, that seems more likely.

And no, it's not an excuse. When you've gotten into professional hockey and played three games in four nights, get back to me and tell me how easy it is to play at 100% capacity in the second game, let alone in the third one.

#324 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

Guess I didn't miss much.

Yikes.

Posted Image

#325 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:03 AM

Can we swap coaches with St. Louis? I think Babcock's message is getting old.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#326 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:17 AM

Can we swap coaches with St. Louis? I think Babcock's message is getting old.

I like Babs, but whenever I see a good team lose to a bad one like this, it falls on the shoulders of the coach.

#327 MSG

MSG

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

I agree. If the Wings lose, it will likely come as a result of poor play. If the Wings win, it is expected.

It looks like Conklin is getting the nod- I'm excited. Howard has earned a rest and there are a lot of games in the coming weeks before the all-star break.

Being a little tired is no excuse for this. They are way too good to phone in a game against the third worst team in the league.

#328 MSG

MSG

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

Obviously, the Wings don't listen to Babcock and never really have. It definitely showed last night. Certainly not the best motivator and never has been. He always tells the media how good the other team played after a loss to take some pressure off (him). And whatever made him think that Conklin was gonna have two consecutive good games in goal? I think Babcock is way, way overrated as a coach and it's been showing for the past couple of seasons. Of course, he has Holland to protect 'em but Holland isn't anyone to protect anybody. Curious to see what he's gonna do at the trade deadline. I mean really........what has he done lately to improve the team as much as the other GM's in the league have done for their teams? Not much when you think about it. Ian White......okay but what was that Commodore signing all about? And remember..........he let Hossa "walk" and that was a huge mistake. In retrospect..........the Wings aren't gonna win anything this season and probably not in the foreseeable future. Apparently, a change has to be made both behind the bench and "upstairs" as well. The Wings have a winning record attributed to just a handful of talented players and that'll get them just so far in the playoffs.

Edited by MSG, 11 January 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#329 JPT

JPT

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

I was at the Coliseum for last year's debacle against the Isles and will be there tonight. Wings will take care of business tonight Dats or no Dats.

Never mind

#330 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

Guess I didn't miss much.

Yikes.

If you are talking about the game, no.

If you are talking about the LGW forum members hitting the panic button and laying blame on the lazy forwards, horrible goalie, coach, etc, that is also a no.

Surprised? I'm not. :D
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#331 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

This game wasn't sold out? Interesting.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#332 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

Well at least that one's over with. We don't seem to get up for the Isles. The Wings are predictable though. We know they will play bad games like they did last night against the Isles. But we also know they will bounce back and get on a roll and beat some good teams. We're due for one of those streaks right about now I'd say. :thumbup:

Obviously, the Wings don't listen to Babcock and never really have. It definitely showed last night. Certainly not the best motivator and never has been. He always tells the media how good the other team played after a loss to take some pressure off (him). And whatever made him think that Conklin was gonna have two consecutive good games in goal? I think Babcock is way, way overrated as a coach and it's been showing for the past couple of seasons. Of course, he has Holland to protect 'em but Holland isn't anyone to protect anybody. Curious to see what he's gonna do at the trade deadline. I mean really........what has he done lately to improve the team as much as the other GM's in the league have done for their teams? Not much when you think about it. Ian White......okay but what was that Commodore signing all about? And remember..........he let Hossa "walk" and that was a huge mistake. In retrospect..........the Wings aren't gonna win anything this season and probably not in the foreseeable future. Apparently, a change has to be made both behind the bench and "upstairs" as well. The Wings have a winning record attributed to just a handful of talented players and that'll get them just so far in the playoffs.

Blow it up! Blow it up! :lol:
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#333 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

Posted Image
Credit goes to Taco Fingerhat at HFBoards

Posted Image

Posted Image
Credit goes to ZMachine at HFBoards

#334 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,509 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

Agree, and disagree.

I agree with you that with this current roster the Red Wings will be hard pressed to get past the 2nd round of the playoffs...As you've said - other teams have gotten better these past several years, and they know how to get Detroit off their game when the playoffs begin.

I disagree with ya though on Babcock; he's a good coach, a positive influence, and a good motivator...His problem is that other teams have gotten better, and the opposition knows how to counter the puck possession style of play...Sure - some of that may fall onto Babcock, but lets be honest - how many other teams have the number of reclamation projects that Detroit has had?..Where are these teams drafting in comparison to Detroit?..How much cap space do they have in comparison to Detroit (although this year we got some serious $$$ to spend)?

Detroit will be a potential contender for the next few years, but as I mentioned earlier their chances are slowly dwindling with their current roster...Parity at it's finest.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#335 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

This game wasn't sold out? Interesting.

Strange indeed.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#336 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

It's not the end of the world but games like this are frustrating. It's a tight playoff race in the West. To be at or near the top you've got to beat the teams you're supposed to beat and take those points.

#337 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

Umm... what? Oh, OK. So I guess they're the only team that ever plays bad games. Got it. Or maybe teams just sometimes play bad games and that's normal, and it happens to all teams. Yeah, that seems more likely.

And no, it's not an excuse. When you've gotten into professional hockey and played three games in four nights, get back to me and tell me how easy it is to play at 100% capacity in the second game, let alone in the third one.

Can you ever construct a post without talking down to someone? You make strong points, but ruin them by coming across as your opinion is the final say on any matter.

Sure, the Red Wings have bad games. No one is denying that. If you don't believe the Red Wings have a knack for playing down to opponents however, then I don't know what else to say. They have done it every season fairly frequently since 2008. I feel last night was an example of this and fatigue is an excuse.

The Red Wings had enough energy to play hard after falling behind to Chicago and that came a night after 40 minutes of intense hockey in Toronto. The schedule is tough no doubt, but they had no desire to work hard against the Islanders. Fatigue doesn't cause you to give up a ton of odd-man rushes or turn the puck over -- that's lack of focus and something that plagued the Red Wings the entire road trip, not just in New York. Their attention to detail defensively was poor the past four games especially at the start of games where fatigue really shouldn't be a factor.

I saw more emotion from Babcock applauding a timeout than any guy on the ice.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#338 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

Posted Image

:lol:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#339 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

LOL, Islanders call a timeout with 20 seconds to go.

What did everyone think of the timeout? I thought it was pretty bush league, but maybe the Wings will have a more positive reaction after that.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#340 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

What did everyone think of the timeout? I thought it was pretty bush league, but maybe the Wings will have a more positive reaction after that.

Yeah it was pretty stupid but I'd rather look at it as something that can really piss off the Wings in a good way.