• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#41 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Very glad to see Conks get another start. Very disappointed I won't be able to watch Dats play tonight :(

#42 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

Conklin is getting the start. I swear if they lose to the Islanders due to poor goaltending...

Because he did such a poor job Sunday night. <_< I think he played great after those 2 goals. He deserves this start and it'll be good for him and the team.

Edited by WizardOfOz30, 10 January 2012 - 12:49 PM.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#43 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

Because he did such a poor job Sunday night. <_< I think he played great after those 2 goals. He deserves this start and it'll be good for him and the team.

Well because a guy plays 1 decent game after multiple awful ones means he is going to be good tonight? Interesting logic. Not fielding the best team they can always annoys me regardless of this so called rest goalies need.

#44 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Fortunately the Wings are not an AHL team.

Well because a guy plays 1 decent game after multiple awful ones means he is going to be good tonight? Interesting logic. Not fielding the best team they can always annoys me regardless of this so called rest goalies need.

It's a good thing you're not making those decisions then.

Edited by rrasco, 10 January 2012 - 12:55 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#45 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

Fortunately the Wings are not an AHL team.

It's a good thing you're not making those decisions then.

So if Conklin has as save percentage of .850 again and gets burned tonight I will be happy to know that starting him was a great decision. I hope he does well but his history over the last season and however many games he has played for Detroit this year is the model of inconsistency and don't give me crap about him not having great players in front of him last year... he has great players in front of him this year and has been just as inconsistent. The Wings have a chance to put themselves on the top of the division and they come out with Conklin when their best player is injured...baffles me.

#46 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

Its very possible that Howard was getting a bit fatigued, maybe not physically, but the position is exhausting mentally as well. In the last few games he didnít look quite like the all star he was for the majority of the first half of the season. A week or so off could do him a lot of good. And we need Conks to get some consistent playing time anyway, two birds, one stone.

#47 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Great no Dats and a scrub in net. Gonna be a rough night boys.

Hardly think that the Wings are a one man show. We have enough depth and talent to beat the Islanders. Oh, and did you happen to miss our "scrub" in net stop a penalty shot and beat the Blackhawks? Wings will be just fine :thumbup:
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#48 Rubbel_die_Katz

Rubbel_die_Katz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

To start Conks is the right decision. We need a more balanced way to start Howard and Conklin. And after the way Conklin played the last two periods its the right desicion to start him again. Let`s hope Conks will continue to play well and Howard will get a little bit more rest.

#49 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

I love Jimmy, but he's capable of having a bad game too. He's had two in a row now. Regardless of what you think, goalies need rest. You simply can't play one guy 82 games and expect him to have any gas left for a playoff run. What will you think if Conks puts up a solid performance? He played great against the Avs at the beginning of the season and put up another solid performance on Sunday, we have a really small sample size for him this year. He proved he can stop the puck on Sunday. He let in those two early ones, but once he got some playing time, he improved. Can't get better if you don't play.

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#50 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Looks like Pav is out tonight as a precauion...

http://www.freep.com...ext|FRONTPAGE|s

UNIONDALE, N.Y - Quick update from Nassau Coliseum: Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk is out tonight against the Islanders.

Datsyuk said he suffered a lower-body injury during Sunday's game at Chicago, but didn't think it was serious. He's being held out tonight as a precaution, but said he hopes to play Thursday when the Wings host Phoenix.

General manager Ken Holland also said the injury "is not serious." Mike Babcock said "it took us by surprise," so much so, in fact, that they'll have to go with seven defensemen and 11 forwards against the Islanders, as there isn't time to call anyone up from the minors. Chris Conner was sent back down Monday, so that's a good indication of how unexpected this turn of events was.

In other news, Conklin's solid play against Chicago means he's right back in net tonight. Babcock already has told Jimmy Howard he'll play Thursday. Good for the Wings if Conklin can string together two good outings after he struggled the first half. If they can get him going, get his confidence showing, they're not on the hot stove to get a backup goalie before the trade deadline.

As for how the lines will shake out tonight, Babcock is going to have the afternoon to figure it out. He had Johan Franzen between Todd Bertuzzi and defenseman Mike Commodore at one point this morning, but laughed and said that's not likely to happen in the game. Basically, we'll see more of Henrik Zetterberg, Valtteri Filppula and Franzen early, and then if the Wings can impose their will and build a lead, it'll be easier to reduce the wear on the big guys.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

So if Conklin has as save percentage of .850 again and gets burned tonight I will be happy to know that starting him was a great decision. I hope he does well but his history over the last season and however many games he has played for Detroit this year is the model of inconsistency and don't give me crap about him not having great players in front of him last year... he has great players in front of him this year and has been just as inconsistent. The Wings have a chance to put themselves on the top of the division and they come out with Conklin when their best player is injured...baffles me.

Because he hasn't been played on a consistent basis. I know he's the back up but still having some consistency with his play would help him and the team's confidence playing in front of him. I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see Ty get the start with the fact that Datsyuk is out. Give Ty some more confidence and make the guy play a little harder to make up for the loss.

Its very possible that Howard was getting a bit fatigued, maybe not physically, but the position is exhausting mentally as well. In the last few games he didnít look quite like the all star he was for the majority of the first half of the season. A week or so off could do him a lot of good. And we need Conks to get some consistent playing time anyway, two birds, one stone.

This

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#52 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hardly think that the Wings are a one man show. We have enough depth and talent to beat the Islanders. Oh, and did you happen to miss our "scrub" in net stop a penalty shot and beat the Blackhawks? Wings will be just fine :thumbup:

Did you see him in all his prior games minus his shut out... You guys have a very limited memory lol.

Oh and that penalty shot was a by rookie who waited to long and was forced 5 hole it was not all that spectacular...it was a good thing he did that too and a good thing that Holmstrom covered that puck up so it didn't count as a goal. Conklin really gave up a third goal and that game would have and should have been lost.

#53 Namingway

Namingway

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Judging by his mood, Datsyuk isn't overly concerned. Asked how he got hurt, he replied, "it's secret information. KGB tell me, don't tell nobody."

Gotta love the guy :lol:

Get well soon Pav!

#54 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Did you see him in all his prior games minus his shut out... You guys have a very limited memory lol.

Oh and that penalty shot was a by rookie who waited to long and was forced 5 hole it was not all that spectacular...it was a good thing he did that too and a good thing that Holmstrom covered that puck up so it didn't count as a goal. Conklin really gave up a third goal and that game would have and should have been lost.

It's always easier to remember the negative things instead of the positive ones. He isn't a terrible goalie regardless of who he faced in that penalty shot.

I'm going to stay positive and say he's got a chance to prove himself and he's going to do his best. Pretty much all you can ask for from any of the guys on the ice.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

#55 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Did the Islanders have any rookies looking for their first career points? If not, then we should be fine.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#56 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

Tonight's Officials
Referees #16 Brian Pochmara, #5 Chris Rooney Linesmen #71 Brad Kovachik, #55 Mark Wheler

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#57 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

This irrational hatred you have for Conklin is just making you look foolish.

He isn't the best goalie in the world, but he is the backup, end of story. No matter how much you continue to incessantly ***** and moan about it, there is absolutely nothing you can do to change it.

Really wish Datsyuk was playing, but good that he's resting up and not pushing it. He has been steadily climbing in the league point race, and is now in the top 10.

I just want to see a real good effort, and perhaps not playing from behind early in the 1st. Game starts at 7 boys, don't be late this time. :thumbup:

Edited by hooon, 10 January 2012 - 01:45 PM.

Posted Image

#58 JPT

JPT

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

I was at the Coliseum for last year's debacle against the Isles and will be there tonight. Wings will take care of business tonight Dats or no Dats.

#59 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

Per Keating, it's Pav's groin. Hope it's not too bad, those groins can be mischievous.

Red Wings being careful w/Pavel Datsyuk's groin strain. Late decision to scratch-too late to get Nyquist up.Will play with 7D.

#60 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

Per Keating, it's Pav's groin. Hope it's not too bad, those groins can be mischievous.

I wonder if that had anything to do with Kane's several lumberjack chops right to Datsyuk's "groin" in the final seconds of OT.
Posted Image