are we done giving conklin chances?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 livinglegend5

livinglegend5

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

I know Conklin doesn't get enough chances to get goin, but he's been leavin in so many easy goals. how can we expect Babcock to give him more chances to start when he hasn't done nothing but disappoint? Is there any way to get Joey MacDonald to back up Howard instead?

#2 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

what easy goal was let in tonight?

defensive failure led to the 4 so far

#3 livinglegend5

livinglegend5

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

what easy goal was let in tonight?

defensive failure led to the 4 so far

#4 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

Tough to blame Conklin when the whole team has no idea they're supposed to put in work too. At the very least.

#5 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

while it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a higher quality backup, i am starting to think conklin isn't the problem. the defense is very porous this year but because jimmy has been amazing, its hidden a lot of that. because conks is playing only average hockey, it exposes just how many oddman chances and defensive breakdowns we have been having. unfortunately, its all 3 pairings that give up these chances.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#6 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

Why don't some people have the ability to think?

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#7 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

Oh, one of these threads.

Edited by Tim.D, 10 January 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#8 Rubbel_die_Katz

Rubbel_die_Katz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

was not Conks fault. The whole team missed the opportunity to win the game and beside this to create a better back-up situation with a backup with more confidence. Not sure how many consecutive starts Howard will get now but the situation could have been better after this game. :thumbdown:

#9 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

This game wasn't Conks fault, but sorry. At the end of the day this: Regular season - 2 wins 5 losses .888 sv% 3.28 GAA is not good enough for a backup goalie, he's gotta pick it up, no excuses.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 10 January 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#10 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Welcome to the forum. Hope you didn't expect any support for this thread. Conks wasn't the issue tonight. Lots of near misses, good chances not completed, and lack of scoring lost the game. The Wings never had a handle on this game, not for one moment.

Blame the goalie if you want, but scoring one goal won't win many games. End of story.

Go, Wings!

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#11 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

Whatever the case, Conklin isn't reliable.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nabokov as a deadline pickup. It's no doubt enormously clear to Snow that he won't be re-signing in the offseason.

#12 commadore183

commadore183

Versus televised America's last nuclear bomb test

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nabokov as a deadline pickup. It's no doubt enormously clear to Snow that he won't be re-signing in the offseason.

After the s*** Nabakov pulled when the Islanders picked him up, I don't want that self-absorbed kid on the team. We saw what happened when he didn't get his way. No thank you.

Besides the defense, how many goals have the Wings scored against the Islanders the past 4 seasons? 3? 4? Goaltending isn't the issue here.

Edited by commadore183, 10 January 2012 - 11:06 PM.

Mike Illich does not care about Detroit. Boycott 2013 Winter Cla$$ic.
Skilled hockey is, and will forever be, winning hockey. Deal with it.
"A perfect vision, some simple ways to let you know
Free range humans all couped up naked clone is playing lame" Avon by Queens of the Stone Age

#13 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

After the s*** Nabakov pulled when the Islanders picked him up, I don't want that self-absorbed kid on the team. We saw what happened when he didn't get his way. No thank you.

Besides the defense, how many goals have the Wings scored against the Islanders the past 4 seasons? 3? 4? Goaltending isn't the issue here.

Since when is the Wings` play against the Islanders at all a major issue?

#14 commadore183

commadore183

Versus televised America's last nuclear bomb test

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

Since when is the Wings` play against the Islanders at all a major issue?

I'm pointing out the fact that, for some reason, the Islanders have our number lately. 4 goals in the last 4 seasons (shutout twice), and 17 goals against in that span. Maybe, just maybe, the Islanders put forth a better effort against the Wings than other teams.

2011-2012: 5-1 L
2010-2011: 4-3 L (OT)
2009-2010: 6-0 L
2008-2009: 2-0 L

Plus, it's one of those curiosities of sports that a team that is perceived as inferior to a chosen opponent beats said opponent for 4 straight years.
Mike Illich does not care about Detroit. Boycott 2013 Winter Cla$$ic.
Skilled hockey is, and will forever be, winning hockey. Deal with it.
"A perfect vision, some simple ways to let you know
Free range humans all couped up naked clone is playing lame" Avon by Queens of the Stone Age

#15 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

Last I checked, this was a team sport. I didn't see Conklin play out of his mind tonight, thats for sure. At the same time, the team in front of him took the night off. Anyone willing to give the lazy team in front of him a pass to heap the blame on Conklin is a moron. I do have to agree that Howard has been stellar this season, and its that stellar play that has earned him accolades from his critics. If he played like last year, the results would probably be the same as last year. Conklin hasn't been able to match Howard's skill this season. I don't know if making a play for another backup goalie is the answer. Especially if the team responds like this while he is in net.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#16 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

How can you even blame Conklin on tonight's loss? The team in front of him took the pre game skate and checked out after that. It's totally unfair to blame Conklin tonight. At the end of the day, the Wings didn't play well
IPB Image

#17 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

Plus, it's one of those curiosities of sports that a team that is perceived as inferior to a chosen opponent beats said opponent for 4 straight years.

It must be the Devellano curse.

#18 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

It must be the Devellano curse.

Haha! Gutted you beat me to it.

#19 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

I got distracted for a minute, and read "I wouldn't be surprised...Snow...as a deadline pickup".

Now that my heart has restarted, and I have rejoined this century, I too must add to the throng who feel that Conks needs a team in front of him in order to do well.

Last night just was not a good night all around. Being short Pavel did not help, and, as mentioned, the Isles seem to have our number.

Last night is just one of those games where you have to shrug it off and move on or you end up banging your head against a wall and doubting yourself.

After his last outing, I am still willing to give him another chance. I think he can do better.

That said, I'm sure glad we have Jimmy. :)

#20 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

Conklin wasn't the problem last night. After the stinkers he let in during the Chicago game, he locked it down and despite the final score in last night's game, I thought he played well overall. One soft goal last night, but the rest were deflections or bang-bang plays on which he could only pray that the puck would hit him. Defense was atrocious last night and the offense wasn't firing on all cylinders either.

Sure, you can say that we gave up 5 goals, but I didn't see any help coming from the offense with only one goal in response.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!