• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

UofM/NHL in Advanced Talks for Winter Classic

Rate this topic

Don't toy with me, Yahoo Sports. If I got Wings/Leafs at the Big House, I could die happy. After the game, of course!

The potential revenue for this is astronomical. For that reason alone, I'll be surprised if the league doesn't jump at the chance.

Start saving your pennies, folks!

This idea is great but I've heard from the Michigan game they had there a few years ago, it was hard to see all of the players and follow the puck and play. I'm not from Michigan. I've never been to the "Big House" but I've heard this might have been a problem and I wonder if this will play into the decision.

Don't toy with me, Yahoo Sports. If I got Wings/Leafs at the Big House, I could die happy. After the game, of course!

The potential revenue for this is astronomical. For that reason alone, I'll be surprised if the league doesn't jump at the chance.

Start saving your pennies, folks!

If this does happen, I think my first trip to Detroit will be coming :thumbup:

This idea is great but I've heard from the Michigan game they had there a few years ago, it was hard to see all of the players and follow the puck and play. I'm not from Michigan. I've never been to the "Big House" but I've heard this might have been a problem and I wonder if this will play into the decision.

I said this in another thread, but I was there and it wasn't an issue for us. We were mid-bowl in the corner. I was expecting to not see much, but it wasn't bad at all.

I was up in the press box and it wasn't hard to tell which player was which.

Guest Save The Octopus

Toronto vs Detroit. The Big House. Under the lights. Win, win, and win!

To be honest who cares? let it be roller hockey in texas between Dallas and Tampa it just one game out of 82. For those who live in Detroit it could be indeed a good Evening. If they could get tickets of course.

Seems to me that the League is putting their glory and numbers ahead of the chance to help the economy of Detroit.

I dont think it has anything to do with that. It has to do with the chance to set an NHL record for attendance that may never happen again. If the Loafs come to town, they may even break the Big Chill records for most in attendance ever for ANY hockey game.

I still say do UofM/MSU and a Red Wings/Maple Leafs double header at the Big House. I guarantee you will sell out in a heartbeat. My hubby even said we might have to do that one, and he's not that big of a hockey fan.

It should be at Comerica because the major reason for having it at the Big House is for NHL profitability and recognition over the home team's city. Whereas the Winter Classic is a major stage for both the two teams and the NHL, in my opinion, holding the event at the Big House majorly downplays the Red Wings and the city of the Detroit and instead bolsters Ann Arbor, the University of Michigan, and the NHLL. While I would like the fact that my chances of attending would be much greater at the Big House with the 100,000 extra seats, and the fact that viewing the actual game is much better in a football field over a baseball field, think about it - Detroit, the city where the team resides, goes majorly overlooked. The other venue that the owner of the team has control over - goes entirely unused. If you look at past Winter Classics, every single venue used has a connection with the city and the team. EG, Buffalo Sabres play where the Buffalo Bills play. U of M doesn't directly have a connection with the Red Wings in the fact that they do not also house a major professional team of the area. While I think it would be great to have it at the Big House, I agree it should be at Comerica and it would be a departure from the NHL's current Winter Classic formula to have it at the Big House. Why should the city of Ann Arbor, where the majority of the population is college students, several from around the country, be rewarded with the Winter Classic instead of Detroit? I understand that Ann Arbor is really not that far away from Detroit, but to me, this is like holding the Super Bowl at the Big House over Ford Field because it is a grander stage. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Ram

For what it's worth, the CBC broadcast crew said that the recent game in Philadelphia was the best, as far as sight-lines went, that they had broadcasted.

Definitely good to know. They have really evolved and improved the event over the years. I just remember sitting in the outfield at Wrigley and not being able to see much.

I despise crowds and I'd rather not have to navigate around Ann Arbor. Plus, the sight lines will probably suuuuuuck but nonetheless I would love to be at a packed Big House.

I've already warned all my UM alumni family and friends that if they don't hook me up to that game then I get to shoot a standard NHL rubber puck at them. Maybe multiple pucks. Dead serious.

I'm aware that I'm a joke compared to a mundane shooter like Filppula let alone Shea Weber but I still think I can make it hurt.

"Why should the city of Ann Arbor, where the majority of the population is college students, several from around the country, be rewarded with the Winter Classic instead of Detroit?"

And exactly how many people who live in the city of Detroit go to Wings games?? My guess would be under 5.