• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

UofM/NHL in Advanced Talks for Winter Classic

Rate this topic

And exactly how many people who live in the city of Detroit go to Wings games?? My guess would be under 5.

but whats the number of people who go to wings game within 10 minutes of detroit. and what that number of people that go within 10 minutes of ann arbor?

detroit is the epicenter of red wing hockey, not ann arbor.

How is it that the away team has won the Winter Classic 4 out of 5 times?

What, the Hockey Gods don't like the city that hosts such an event for a day?

Well, then think of it this way, if they play in Ann Arbor, they will BOTH be away teams....Hmmmm....

Wings...Leafs...Denard Stadium...oops, sorry thought they'd rename it by now, let me correct that...Loser Stadium. Man, the money generated that day will be more than enough for the NHL to support the Coyotes for the next three seasons!

I also agree it should be held in the city of Detroit, but who would want to try to watch a hockey game in Comerica National Park? Too bad the Ford's felt they needed a covered stadium for the Lions instead of playing REAL football in the elements, then this point would be moot...

Edited by LeftWinger

I still say do UofM/MSU and a Red Wings/Maple Leafs double header at the Big House. I guarantee you will sell out in a heartbeat. My hubby even said we might have to do that one, and he's not that big of a hockey fan.

A cool idea I have heard is have Winter Classic, and then, the GLI.

Well, then think of it this way, if they play in Ann Arbor, they will BOTH be away teams....Hmmmm....

Wings...Leafs...Denard Stadium...oops, sorry thought they'd rename it by now, let me correct that...Loser Stadium. Man, the money generated that day will be more than enough for the NHL to support the Coyotes for the next three seasons!

I also agree it should be held in the city of Detroit, but who would want to try to watch a hockey game in Comerica National Park? Too bad the Ford's felt they needed a covered stadium for the Lions instead of playing REAL football in the elements, then this point would be moot...

wow so much hate.

Not only will it bring a ton of money but just think how it will bring in more fans. With a chance to have 115k people at a hockey game. What a record. This is going to be good for the nhl all around not just as a big money maker.

OH btw....U of M won the Sugar Bowl =)

I know this is way early (or maybe it's not?).. But when do WC tickets normally go on sale?

I think we're already behind. I started looking at about 5-8 hotels in Ann Arbor and most we're booked or "unavailable" from the 31st to the 3rd or were "full payment, no refunds".

It's going to be utter hell crossing the border for us Canadian's too. Ah well, such is life.

I think we're already behind. I started looking at about 5-8 hotels in Ann Arbor and most we're booked or "unavailable" from the 31st to the 3rd or were "full payment, no refunds".

It's going to be utter hell crossing the border for us Canadian's too. Ah well, such is life.

Luckly I have family that lives about 5 mins away from The Big House=)

If i get a chance to go.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

I always believed this wouldn't happen for a variety of reasons. UofM wouldn't lift the ban on alcohol, or the Red Wings ownership would never allow the game to be played off site where they have to split the revenue. As it turns out, it looks like I may be incorrect. What a great venue for the hockey game of the century. I was at the first Cold War against Michigan and Michigan State and it was a great experience. It will be a record breaking event that won't be topped for many many years. I know, its not a definite, but it looks more and more like its going to happen and I am excited about that.

I always believed this wouldn't happen for a variety of reasons. UofM wouldn't lift the ban on alcohol, or the Red Wings ownership would never allow the game to be played off site where they have to split the revenue. As it turns out, it looks like I may be incorrect. What a great venue for the hockey game of the century. I was at the first Cold War against Michigan and Michigan State and it was a great experience. It will be a record breaking event that won't be topped for many many years. I know, its not a definite, but it looks more and more like its going to happen and I am excited about that.

IIRC, they can't sell alcohol at college events. This would be an NHL event.

On a college campus in a college sanctioned venue. We weren't allowed to drink at the UofM/MSU game last year but it isn't stop is from bringing our own liquor in there having a blast. They don't frisk 100,000 plus people. All four of us brought in a 10 back of shooters and put them in our inside pockets thinking they'd frisk us...but they didn't frisk all the 110,000 college kids lol.

Oh, I was referring to the actual game tickets, not the hotels.

I know this is way early (or maybe it's not?).. But when do WC tickets normally go on sale?

It will be interesting to see how many tickets go on to sale to the general public. If they follow there usual route, tickets will be available to Wings' season ticket holders and probably UofM season ticket holders first. Then, Toronto season ticket holders would get a crack. With the larger venue, here is hoping more general ticket sales will be available.

I am loving this. If all of this falls into place, it should be a great group of events.

This still needs to be passed through UofM. I thought it was an NCAA regulation and it isn't. This is up to UofM, and they have a policy of no alcohol on campus. Read up on the University of Minnesota who hosted the Vikings Bears game last year. Minnesota would not allow beer to be sold there because it was a campus regulation. The NFL had to abide. The NHL won't put the game at UofM without alcohol being sold there, and in order for that to happen, UofM needs to approve the sale of alcohol on campus which is strictly prohibited.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/548381-bears-vs-vikings-monday-night-football-no-beer-in-gopher-stadium

Can anybody confirm/deny whether or not alcohol will/can be served there? This kid I know is very convinced that they can't sell alcohol... but he's an idiot so...

UofM has to allow it, but there is a strict policy against it. So all UofM has to do is make an exception to their law and allow it for the Winter Classic. Easier said than done though since the University has to vote on it.

Edited by Nightfall

Don't toy with me, Yahoo Sports. If I got Wings/Leafs at the Big House, I could die happy. After the game, of course!

The potential revenue for this is astronomical. For that reason alone, I'll be surprised if the league doesn't jump at the chance.

Start saving your pennies, folks!

A Leafs vs Wings Winter Classic would result in something pretty cool for me:

Dad would fly to Detroit from Vancouver and I'd fly to Detroit from New Brunswick. The greatest day of non-Stanley Cup hockey would certainly be the result. :thumbup:

If I don't go to this game, I'll jump off the top of Michigan Stadium. Me and my friend were talking about this last year around the time of the Big Chill. I didn't think it was very likely, let alone was going to happen while I was living here with season tickets to football . When somebody said that michigan season ticketholders may get priority, what season ticket holders were they talking about?