• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#21 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

If this happens there is no way I won't be there in person.

Same. My fiancee, my Dad and I will be right there with you.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#22 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

It should be at Comerica because the major reason for having it at the Big House is for NHL profitability and recognition over the home team's city. Whereas the Winter Classic is a major stage for both the two teams and the NHL, in my opinion, holding the event at the Big House majorly downplays the Red Wings and the city of the Detroit and instead bolsters Ann Arbor, the University of Michigan, and the NHLL. While I would like the fact that my chances of attending would be much greater at the Big House with the 100,000 extra seats, and the fact that viewing the actual game is much better in a football field over a baseball field, think about it - Detroit, the city where the team resides, goes majorly overlooked. The other venue that the owner of the team has control over - goes entirely unused. If you look at past Winter Classics, every single venue used has a connection with the city and the team. EG, Buffalo Sabres play where the Buffalo Bills play. U of M doesn't directly have a connection with the Red Wings in the fact that they do not also house a major professional team of the area. While I think it would be great to have it at the Big House, I agree it should be at Comerica and it would be a departure from the NHL's current Winter Classic formula to have it at the Big House. Why should the city of Ann Arbor, where the majority of the population is college students, several from around the country, be rewarded with the Winter Classic instead of Detroit? I understand that Ann Arbor is really not that far away from Detroit, but to me, this is like holding the Super Bowl at the Big House over Ford Field because it is a grander stage. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Ram, 12 January 2012 - 02:36 PM.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#23 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

For what it's worth, the CBC broadcast crew said that the recent game in Philadelphia was the best, as far as sight-lines went, that they had broadcasted.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#24 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

For what it's worth, the CBC broadcast crew said that the recent game in Philadelphia was the best, as far as sight-lines went, that they had broadcasted.

Definitely good to know. They have really evolved and improved the event over the years. I just remember sitting in the outfield at Wrigley and not being able to see much.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#25 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

I despise crowds and I'd rather not have to navigate around Ann Arbor. Plus, the sight lines will probably suuuuuuck but nonetheless I would love to be at a packed Big House.

I've already warned all my UM alumni family and friends that if they don't hook me up to that game then I get to shoot a standard NHL rubber puck at them. Maybe multiple pucks. Dead serious.

I'm aware that I'm a joke compared to a mundane shooter like Filppula let alone Shea Weber but I still think I can make it hurt.

#26 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

"Why should the city of Ann Arbor, where the majority of the population is college students, several from around the country, be rewarded with the Winter Classic instead of Detroit?"

And exactly how many people who live in the city of Detroit go to Wings games?? My guess would be under 5.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#27 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

And exactly how many people who live in the city of Detroit go to Wings games?? My guess would be under 5.

but whats the number of people who go to wings game within 10 minutes of detroit. and what that number of people that go within 10 minutes of ann arbor?

detroit is the epicenter of red wing hockey, not ann arbor.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

How is it that the away team has won the Winter Classic 4 out of 5 times?

What, the Hockey Gods don't like the city that hosts such an event for a day?

Well, then think of it this way, if they play in Ann Arbor, they will BOTH be away teams....Hmmmm....

Wings...Leafs...Denard Stadium...oops, sorry thought they'd rename it by now, let me correct that...Loser Stadium. Man, the money generated that day will be more than enough for the NHL to support the Coyotes for the next three seasons!

I also agree it should be held in the city of Detroit, but who would want to try to watch a hockey game in Comerica National Park? Too bad the Ford's felt they needed a covered stadium for the Lions instead of playing REAL football in the elements, then this point would be moot...

Edited by LeftWinger, 12 January 2012 - 05:58 PM.

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#29 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Ok, having it in Ann Arbor makes it an "away game"? Are you guys driving cars or riding bicycles? <_<
IPB Image

#30 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

I still say do UofM/MSU and a Red Wings/Maple Leafs double header at the Big House. I guarantee you will sell out in a heartbeat. My hubby even said we might have to do that one, and he's not that big of a hockey fan.

A cool idea I have heard is have Winter Classic, and then, the GLI.

#31 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:39 AM

Another article saying Wings/Leafs WC @ UofM next year.

http://www.pensionpl...-winter-classic
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#32 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

Who knows, for the first time ever, this game will start the season for both the League and NBC.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#33 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Ann Arbor?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

I know this is way early (or maybe it's not?).. But when do WC tickets normally go on sale?

#35 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

Well, then think of it this way, if they play in Ann Arbor, they will BOTH be away teams....Hmmmm....

Wings...Leafs...Denard Stadium...oops, sorry thought they'd rename it by now, let me correct that...Loser Stadium. Man, the money generated that day will be more than enough for the NHL to support the Coyotes for the next three seasons!

I also agree it should be held in the city of Detroit, but who would want to try to watch a hockey game in Comerica National Park? Too bad the Ford's felt they needed a covered stadium for the Lions instead of playing REAL football in the elements, then this point would be moot...

wow so much hate.
Not only will it bring a ton of money but just think how it will bring in more fans. With a chance to have 115k people at a hockey game. What a record. This is going to be good for the nhl all around not just as a big money maker.

OH btw....U of M won the Sugar Bowl =)
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#36 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

I know this is way early (or maybe it's not?).. But when do WC tickets normally go on sale?

I think we're already behind. I started looking at about 5-8 hotels in Ann Arbor and most we're booked or "unavailable" from the 31st to the 3rd or were "full payment, no refunds".

It's going to be utter hell crossing the border for us Canadian's too. Ah well, such is life.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

I will be there. And I will be drunk.

Once-in-a-lifetime sort of event. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

#38 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

I think we're already behind. I started looking at about 5-8 hotels in Ann Arbor and most we're booked or "unavailable" from the 31st to the 3rd or were "full payment, no refunds".

It's going to be utter hell crossing the border for us Canadian's too. Ah well, such is life.

Luckly I have family that lives about 5 mins away from The Big House=)

If i get a chance to go.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 13 January 2012 - 01:37 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#39 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

I always believed this wouldn't happen for a variety of reasons. UofM wouldn't lift the ban on alcohol, or the Red Wings ownership would never allow the game to be played off site where they have to split the revenue. As it turns out, it looks like I may be incorrect. What a great venue for the hockey game of the century. I was at the first Cold War against Michigan and Michigan State and it was a great experience. It will be a record breaking event that won't be topped for many many years. I know, its not a definite, but it looks more and more like its going to happen and I am excited about that.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#40 Andrew

Andrew

redwings8831

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...nd-rink-detroit

Sounds like the GLI and the alumni game will be at Comerica.