• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#41 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

I always believed this wouldn't happen for a variety of reasons. UofM wouldn't lift the ban on alcohol, or the Red Wings ownership would never allow the game to be played off site where they have to split the revenue. As it turns out, it looks like I may be incorrect. What a great venue for the hockey game of the century. I was at the first Cold War against Michigan and Michigan State and it was a great experience. It will be a record breaking event that won't be topped for many many years. I know, its not a definite, but it looks more and more like its going to happen and I am excited about that.

IIRC, they can't sell alcohol at college events. This would be an NHL event.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#42 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

On a college campus in a college sanctioned venue. We weren't allowed to drink at the UofM/MSU game last year but it isn't stop is from bringing our own liquor in there having a blast. They don't frisk 100,000 plus people. All four of us brought in a 10 back of shooters and put them in our inside pockets thinking they'd frisk us...but they didn't frisk all the 110,000 college kids lol.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#43 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

I think we're already behind. I started looking at about 5-8 hotels in Ann Arbor and most we're booked or "unavailable" from the 31st to the 3rd or were "full payment, no refunds".

It's going to be utter hell crossing the border for us Canadian's too. Ah well, such is life.

Oh, I was referring to the actual game tickets, not the hotels.

#44 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

I know this is way early (or maybe it's not?).. But when do WC tickets normally go on sale?

It will be interesting to see how many tickets go on to sale to the general public. If they follow there usual route, tickets will be available to Wings' season ticket holders and probably UofM season ticket holders first. Then, Toronto season ticket holders would get a crack. With the larger venue, here is hoping more general ticket sales will be available.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7459001/nhl-eyes-maple-leafs-red-wings-winter-classic-big-house-second-rink-detroit

Sounds like the GLI and the alumni game will be at Comerica.

I am loving this. If all of this falls into place, it should be a great group of events.

#45 wolverine1817

wolverine1817

Go Blue

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

Can anybody confirm/deny whether or not alcohol will/can be served there? This kid I know is very convinced that they can't sell alcohol... but he's an idiot so...

#46 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

This still needs to be passed through UofM. I thought it was an NCAA regulation and it isn't. This is up to UofM, and they have a policy of no alcohol on campus. Read up on the University of Minnesota who hosted the Vikings Bears game last year. Minnesota would not allow beer to be sold there because it was a campus regulation. The NFL had to abide. The NHL won't put the game at UofM without alcohol being sold there, and in order for that to happen, UofM needs to approve the sale of alcohol on campus which is strictly prohibited.

http://bleacherrepor...-gopher-stadium

Can anybody confirm/deny whether or not alcohol will/can be served there? This kid I know is very convinced that they can't sell alcohol... but he's an idiot so...

UofM has to allow it, but there is a strict policy against it. So all UofM has to do is make an exception to their law and allow it for the Winter Classic. Easier said than done though since the University has to vote on it.

Edited by Nightfall, 13 January 2012 - 11:12 PM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#47 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

Don't toy with me, Yahoo Sports. If I got Wings/Leafs at the Big House, I could die happy. After the game, of course!
The potential revenue for this is astronomical. For that reason alone, I'll be surprised if the league doesn't jump at the chance.

Start saving your pennies, folks!

A Leafs vs Wings Winter Classic would result in something pretty cool for me:
Dad would fly to Detroit from Vancouver and I'd fly to Detroit from New Brunswick. The greatest day of non-Stanley Cup hockey would certainly be the result. :thumbup:
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#48 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

24/7 could be very interesting...

bringit.jpg

#49 Rubbel_die_Katz

Rubbel_die_Katz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:20 AM

Leafs vs. Wings at the Big House sounds like a done deal

#50 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

Leafs vs. Wings at the Big House sounds like a done deal

I can barely contain my excitement. I am concerned about ticket availability though, especially with those nuts from Toronto coming.

#51 wolverine1817

wolverine1817

Go Blue

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

If I don't go to this game, I'll jump off the top of Michigan Stadium. Me and my friend were talking about this last year around the time of the Big Chill. I didn't think it was very likely, let alone was going to happen while I was living here with season tickets to football . When somebody said that michigan season ticketholders may get priority, what season ticket holders were they talking about?

#52 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

It will be interesting to see how many tickets go on to sale to the general public. If they follow there usual route, tickets will be available to Wings' season ticket holders and probably UofM season ticket holders first. Then, Toronto season ticket holders would get a crack. With the larger venue, here is hoping more general ticket sales will be available.

I am loving this. If all of this falls into place, it should be a great group of events.

I am concerned about ticket sales too. I know I may sound stupid, but I don't think U of M ticket holders should have an advantage over general public just because their venue is being used. Not everyone has connections or season tickets for the Wings and U of M. I hope there is a limit of the number of tickets that can be purchased through that. I just hope that the prices aren't outrageous given how large the stadium is because I would really like the chance to attend.

This is one of those things where everyone and their brother wants to attend it...whether or not they're hockey fans and then those of us that love the game and really want to go won't be able to find a ticket that hasn't been marked up 1000%. Not trying to sound negative because I am so excited for this and plan on being there, I just hope that it's not going to be a difficult task to find tickets that don't break the bank.

As for hotels, you can probably find places within half an hour of Ann Arbor but I'd start looking now. Try Canton, Plymouth, Livonia, Novi. Not sure the quality of hotels since I don't stay at them.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#53 malts85

malts85

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

I agree, I've been making it a tradition for the last four years to attend the New Year's Eve games in Detroit, so this one would probably take it's place, hopefully I could get a ticket, maybe two if I could talk a friend into coming.

#54 wolverine1817

wolverine1817

Go Blue

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

As for hotels, you can probably find places within half an hour of Ann Arbor but I'd start looking now. Try Canton, Plymouth, Livonia, Novi. Not sure the quality of hotels since I don't stay at them.

Or, if you have at least a C cup (moobs not included), you can stay the night at my apartment...

eyyoooo!

#55 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,103 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

hbo 24/7 with wings yesss

Edited by brett, 14 January 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#56 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

Or, if you have at least a C cup (moobs not included), you can stay the night at my apartment...

eyyoooo!

If I have two of them, can I stay two nights?

(Don't worry. I won't be going to the game. Too spendy.)

#57 wolverine1817

wolverine1817

Go Blue

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

If I have two of them, can I stay two nights?

This can be arranged... I'm gonna need proof though

pics or it didn't happen haha

#58 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 788 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

24/7 could be very interesting...

24/7 is basically the main reason I want the Winter Classic here, over the game even. An extremely in depth look into the team like never before, especially on the ice and Babs in practice/locker room.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#59 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

Seems to me that the League is putting their glory and numbers ahead of the chance to help the economy of Detroit.

I shouldn't even be humoring this comment, but since when is it the NHL's responsibility to help the economy of Detroit?
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#60 DyingAlive

DyingAlive

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

24/7 is basically the main reason I want the Winter Classic here, over the game even. An extremely in depth look into the team like never before, especially on the ice and Babs in practice/locker room.

Ya I have to agree with you there, haha Winter Classic is cool, but 24/7 is honestly the best thing to happen to hockey.

I even enjoyed watching it when the stupid Penguins were on it, and that's saying something.

From what I heard U of M needs to acquire a waiver in order to be able to legally sell alcohol at the game, I'm sure they would be able to get a temporary one for the occasion.
Posted Image