Photo
- - - - -

UofM/NHL in Advanced Talks for Winter Classic

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#61 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

I wonder if Ilitch is fine with the game being in Ann Arbor, or if he was just told by the NHL, either it's Ann Arbor or you don't get the game... I know he is gonna get a ton of money from the 110,000+ tickets sold and that probably swayed his mind just a little bit....

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#62 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

I wonder if Ilitch is fine with the game being in Ann Arbor, or if he was just told by the NHL, either it's Ann Arbor or you don't get the game... I know he is gonna get a ton of money from the 110,000+ tickets sold and that probably swayed his mind just a little bit....

If the rumors are true and the event gets split between Ann Arbor and Comerica Park, I'm guessing Ilitch gets a bigger cut of the Comerica Park events and the league gets a bigger cut of the Ann Arbor game.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#63 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

I shouldn't even be humoring this comment, but since when is it the NHL's responsibility to help the economy of Detroit?

I meant to +1 that but missed and negged you instead. :blush: Sorry about that, I thought it was a great comment.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#64 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

I shouldn't even be humoring this comment, but since when is it the NHL's responsibility to help the economy of Detroit?

Posted Image

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#65 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

I wonder if Wings/Leafs in front of the largest NHL crowd ever could be the deciding factor in Lidstroms mind over another season or not?
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#66 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

Looks like we will know by the All-Star Break. Also, looks like both Comerica and Michigan Stadium will have rinks - with everything but the actual Winter Classic taking place at Comerica and Downtown Detroit. The GLI at Comerica would be awesome.

My link

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#67 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

This is really exciting and kudos for the NHL for doing what they can to include the city of Detroit, despite the draw of the largest crowd ever being so intoxicating.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#68 NorwegianWing

NorwegianWing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

You know, I really hate being a piss poor student living in Norway. Lottery: here I come! This is, as others have stated, a once-in-a-lifetime deal. Take advantage if you can!