• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
leelanau

Next Captain?

Rate this topic

Who in the Detroit media or on this forum would object to Datsyuk being captain because his English isn't that good?

For that matter, who on the team would be upset? They seem OK with Datsyuk wearing the "A" and he leads well by example. Where are these complaints stemming from?

Nobody is complaining. Everyone in the NHL loves Datsyuk. Including the fans. The matter just comes down to communicating. He may lead by example, but he still needs to be able to talk to players, resolve conflicts, handle the refs and speak to the media on a regular basis. He's a great leader but he wouldn't be an effective captain.

EDIT: Not in America or Canada anyway. In Russia he'd be a great captain.

Edited by VM1138

When Lidstrom retires, who will be the Wings next captain? The last few years everyone has said Zetterberg. I have a feeling that Kronwall will be the next captain. Datsyuk and Zetterberg will wear the "A".

Thoughts?

There's no question it should be either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. If we had this discussion in the summer of 2008 I'd say Zetterberg is the best choice for captain but it's 2012 and things have changed. Zetterberg's still a leader on this team but Datsyuk shouldn't be discounted either. Based on play it'd have to be Datsyuk, based on media popularity and league-wide recognition you'd pick Datsyuk as well. Leadership? I don't really know since I'm not in the locker room. I do know that Dats sets the tone on the ice each night like a captain should and he does all the right things every night. In my eyes, it's Datsyuk's consistency that sets him above Zetterberg but in the end the C is about leadership both on the ice and in the locker room (and I'm not privy to the second part).

The sudden anti-Zetterberg attitude on these forums is beginning to sicken me. How the guy went from untouchable to trade-worthy in the eyes of fans is beyond me. I shudder.

Knee-jerk reactions to everything. OMG, Z hasn't put up 40 goals, let's trade him!

All the trade talk about Z (me thinks) stems from that thread someone started yesterday about somebody's brother's neighbor's friend's uncle's unborn fetus's cousin's father lives by Ken Holland and he has 'inside information'.

Guest Crymson

The next Wings captain after Lids will be Steven Weiss :ph34r:

That trade's happening right? It has to given that the news came from Holland's neighbor's landscaper's cousin's ex-college roommate right?

Holland's nephew's teacher's cousin's parole officer told me that it was shot down.

There's no question it should be either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. If we had this discussion in the summer of 2008 I'd say Zetterberg is the best choice for captain but it's 2012 and things have changed. Zetterberg's still a leader on this team but Datsyuk shouldn't be discounted either. Based on play it'd have to be Datsyuk, based on media popularity and league-wide recognition you'd pick Datsyuk as well. Leadership? I don't really know since I'm not in the locker room. I do know that Dats sets the tone on the ice each night like a captain should and he does all the right things every night. In my eyes, it's Datsyuk's consistency that sets him above Zetterberg but in the end the C is about leadership both on the ice and in the locker room (and I'm not privy to the second part).

I agree well said Edited by Hey man nice shot!

100% agree. 2009 and before you'd have thought it was Zetterberg's gig, but these past few years it just feels like it belongs to Datsyuk IMO. I can understand him not getting it though if communication is that big of a deal.

Holland's nephew's teacher's cousin's parole officer told me that it was shot down.

I think the joke ran it's course, bud.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

Guest irishock

The sudden anti-Zetterberg attitude on these forums is beginning to sicken me. How the guy went from untouchable to trade-worthy in the eyes of fans is beyond me. I shudder.

Possibly just some underachieving regular seasons as of late. However Z has been great when it comes to the playoffs, it looks like he's just coasting through the season and then stepping up for the playoffs.

Yeah I remember a few years ago people wanting to trade Datsyuk because he would not produce in the playoffs.

I remember reading a trade Lids thread during the middle of the 09-10 season and some said they'd trade Datsyuk for the right price.

Guest Crymson

Possibly just some underachieving regular seasons as of late.

What, like 80 points in 80 games last season? And 70 in 74 the season before? What about 73 in 77 before that? The last time Zetterberg had a poor regular season was before the lockout. So nay, what you're talking about is a substandard ONE-HALF of a regular season.

I remember reading a trade Lids thread during the middle of the 09-10 season and some said they'd trade Datsyuk for the right price.

There are silly people everywhere.

I think the joke ran it's course, bud.

Dang. And I was going to post something. Who makes these decisions, anyway?

This kind of reminds me of when they were getting cranky in Montreal because Saku Koivu didn't speak French. We all love Pavel, but consider how many times the microphone is in Lids' face simply because he's the captain.

Pavel doesn't strike me as one who likes the media spotlight or doing the interviews. He is a great player and good role model to the younger players, which is why he definitely deserves the A.

I'm kind of glad that Z is an all-but-foregone conclusion. I'd rather have Pavel be able to focus on his game and do his thing.

In all honesty, and I admit that I'm biased, I think Kronwall would make a good captain. He's always the guy getting interviewed, and he does well. This is not saying he's a better choice than Pavel and/or Hank. Just saying that he'd be good.