• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

The sudden anti-Zetterberg attitude on these forums is beginning to sicken me. How the guy went from untouchable to trade-worthy in the eyes of fans is beyond me. I shudder.

No kidding. Everyone will be back on board in April when Z dominates the playoffs like usual.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#22 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hudler for Captain! "Dont forgetta stairs buddy!"

esteef

LOL... nice!

#23 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

The sudden anti-Zetterberg attitude on these forums is beginning to sicken me. How the guy went from untouchable to trade-worthy in the eyes of fans is beyond me. I shudder.

Yeah I remember a few years ago people wanting to trade Datsyuk because he would not produce in the playoffs.

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,955 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Who in the Detroit media or on this forum would object to Datsyuk being captain because his English isn't that good?

For that matter, who on the team would be upset? They seem OK with Datsyuk wearing the "A" and he leads well by example. Where are these complaints stemming from?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#25 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

Personally I think that Hank is a better leader all around. So I prefer him getting it.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,150 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

Who in the Detroit media or on this forum would object to Datsyuk being captain because his English isn't that good?

For that matter, who on the team would be upset? They seem OK with Datsyuk wearing the "A" and he leads well by example. Where are these complaints stemming from?

I don't think anyone is really complaining. But Datsyuk generally seems softspoken and doesn't speak English very well. Not that Zetterberg relishes the spotlight, but I think he's more comfortable with it. I could understand wanting Z to talk to refs over Dats, and lead press conferences.

Saying Z should be captain over him isn't a slight to Datsyuk. The star player on the team doesn't always have to be the one wearing the C. I'd rather someone else have that job and let Pavel keep doing his thing.

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

Let's say the trade rumors are true (Z and Hudler for Iginla and Camalleri) I still don't know. Pavel seems to be stepping up his leadership presence.

In which alternate dimension are there rumors of this absurd trade?

#28 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

Nobody is complaining. Everyone in the NHL loves Datsyuk. Including the fans. The matter just comes down to communicating. He may lead by example, but he still needs to be able to talk to players, resolve conflicts, handle the refs and speak to the media on a regular basis. He's a great leader but he wouldn't be an effective captain.

EDIT: Not in America or Canada anyway. In Russia he'd be a great captain.

Edited by VM1138, 13 January 2012 - 02:23 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#29 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

The next Wings captain after Lids will be Steven Weiss :ph34r:

That trade's happening right? It has to given that the news came from Holland's neighbor's landscaper's cousin's ex-college roommate right?

#30 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

That trade's happening right? It has to given that the news came from Holland's neighbor's landscaper's cousin's ex-college roommate right?

Yeah I think Holland told Dark Helmet, who told Lonestar, then he told me. :hehe:
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#31 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

When Lidstrom retires, who will be the Wings next captain? The last few years everyone has said Zetterberg. I have a feeling that Kronwall will be the next captain. Datsyuk and Zetterberg will wear the "A".

Thoughts?

There's no question it should be either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. If we had this discussion in the summer of 2008 I'd say Zetterberg is the best choice for captain but it's 2012 and things have changed. Zetterberg's still a leader on this team but Datsyuk shouldn't be discounted either. Based on play it'd have to be Datsyuk, based on media popularity and league-wide recognition you'd pick Datsyuk as well. Leadership? I don't really know since I'm not in the locker room. I do know that Dats sets the tone on the ice each night like a captain should and he does all the right things every night. In my eyes, it's Datsyuk's consistency that sets him above Zetterberg but in the end the C is about leadership both on the ice and in the locker room (and I'm not privy to the second part).
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#32 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

Zetterberg is my guess. Hudler for future Wal-Mart greeter.

#33 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

Knee-jerk reactions to everything. OMG, Z hasn't put up 40 goals, let's trade him!

All the trade talk about Z (me thinks) stems from that thread someone started yesterday about somebody's brother's neighbor's friend's uncle's unborn fetus's cousin's father lives by Ken Holland and he has 'inside information'.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#34 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

Holland's nephew's teacher's cousin's parole officer told me that it was shot down.

#35 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

I kinda hope it's Pasha.
Posted Image

#36 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

There's no question it should be either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. If we had this discussion in the summer of 2008 I'd say Zetterberg is the best choice for captain but it's 2012 and things have changed. Zetterberg's still a leader on this team but Datsyuk shouldn't be discounted either. Based on play it'd have to be Datsyuk, based on media popularity and league-wide recognition you'd pick Datsyuk as well. Leadership? I don't really know since I'm not in the locker room. I do know that Dats sets the tone on the ice each night like a captain should and he does all the right things every night. In my eyes, it's Datsyuk's consistency that sets him above Zetterberg but in the end the C is about leadership both on the ice and in the locker room (and I'm not privy to the second part).

I agree well said

Edited by Hey man nice shot!, 13 January 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#37 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

100% agree. 2009 and before you'd have thought it was Zetterberg's gig, but these past few years it just feels like it belongs to Datsyuk IMO. I can understand him not getting it though if communication is that big of a deal.

Holland's nephew's teacher's cousin's parole officer told me that it was shot down.

I think the joke ran it's course, bud.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 13 January 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#38 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:22 AM

Zetterberg is my guess. Hudler for future Wal-Mart greeter.

Hudler's on pace for 23g and 51pts. By all means-- disparage him. But you're still painfully wrong.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#39 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:31 AM

Possibly just some underachieving regular seasons as of late. However Z has been great when it comes to the playoffs, it looks like he's just coasting through the season and then stepping up for the playoffs.

Yeah I remember a few years ago people wanting to trade Datsyuk because he would not produce in the playoffs.

I remember reading a trade Lids thread during the middle of the 09-10 season and some said they'd trade Datsyuk for the right price.

bringit.jpg

#40 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:44 AM

Possibly just some underachieving regular seasons as of late.

What, like 80 points in 80 games last season? And 70 in 74 the season before? What about 73 in 77 before that? The last time Zetterberg had a poor regular season was before the lockout. So nay, what you're talking about is a substandard ONE-HALF of a regular season.

I remember reading a trade Lids thread during the middle of the 09-10 season and some said they'd trade Datsyuk for the right price.

There are silly people everywhere.