• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Ottawa Senators

Rate this topic

These guys have been playing great hockey lately. They sit 2nd in the Northeast Divison (3 points behind Boston) and 5th in the Eastern Conference. 7-1-2 in their last 10. Everyone (Including myself) wrote them off to be cellar dwellars at the beginning of the season. At age 39, Daniel Alfredsson has continued to put up solid numbers. He's scored 33 points in 39 games so far. Jason Spezza seems back on track with 46 points in 45 games. Milan Michalek has really stepped up as well, with 31 points (23 goals) in 40 games. Since arriving from Phoenix, Kyle Turris has scored 8 points in 12 games with the Sens. Their grinders have produced offensively as well, while maintaining an in-your-face type of game. Nick Foligno has scored 27 points in 45 games. Zack Smith has 21 points in 45 games. Zenon Konopka and Chris Neil have provided constant physical play, as well as keeping the flies off younger guys like Erik Condra, Colin Greening, and Bobby Butler.

On defense, Erik Karlsson has been having a spectacular year offensively, with 43 points in 44 games. Jared Cowen has really established himself as an up and coming talent. Chris Phillips and Sergei Gonchar have served as mentors for the younger guys, and it all seems to be working out.

Also, Craig Anderson has been having a solid year in goal.

Their penalty kill and their power play are mediocre, but they play pretty well 5 on 5.

Paul Maclean and his staff have done a great job with this team.

Do you guys think they can continue this play in the second half of the season?

I can't help but feel like this team is destined for a fall. I'm happy to see them competing, but I'm just not sure they can keep up the pace.

I'm actually currently ironing out a trade for Craig Anderson in my fantasy league, so if anything - it'll be my fault.

From what I've seen and read they are only getting better and gaining confidence. This is evident with their shutout of the #1 Rangers last night, I don't think they'll slip out too easily.

From what I've seen and read they are only getting better and gaining confidence. This is evident with their shutout of the #1 Rangers last night, I don't think they'll slip out too easily.

Yup.

They're getting three things they haven't had in a while:

- good coaching

- consistent goaltending

- balanced scoring

I'm a firm believer it's a combo of Paul Maclean's moustache, and the Sens 3rd Retro jerseys that has given them the ability to be where they are today :crazy:

Well said. They finally paid homage to their heritage and its their best jersey to date. Been begging for this for years, especially after that "SENS" debacle. Maclean came from us...duh.

Definitely a surprise this year if not the biggest and I don't mind it. For some reason I've always felt sorry for Ottawa. Always. Good to see Maclean having some success early on too. But it's hard to think this might be some sort of fluke year. I don't know. Good for them though....

I've watched the Sens play a handful of times this year, I think the unexpected play and production out of Greening and Foligno is the kind of boost that team needed. The pair have combined for 51 points and 206 hits, and are still very young players. As long as they don't make any stupid deals they are looking promising and I do think Ottawa will continue to sustain for the rest of the season.

Sens and Blues were stacked with decent prospects who just needed a good coach to melt them into decent teams.

I'd say Blues did surprise me... that it took them that long to reach this level. I expected them to be good last season already.

as for Sens... right now they seem to be performing above the usual development curve. good for them.

I pretty much expect them to reach the playoffs without much trouble and then exit in 1st round because of insufficient

experience of the youngsters. it'll be 2012-13 that will show if they're here to become real contenders. or just pretenders

having said that... I'll be cheering for them come playoffs. can't say the same about the Blues...

Edited by akustyk

Spezza is having a fantastic year, as well.

Very true.

It's tough for me now whenever I hear about Spezza because this video clip is what I associate with his voice. Once I saw it the first time, the name Spezza and my own cognitive schematic with that name revolutionized completely. It's just what he sounds like to me now, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y4sU7-UM9s

Very true.

It's tough for me now whenever I hear about Spezza because this video clip is what I associate with his voice. Once I saw it the first time, the name Spezza and my own cognitive schematic with that name revolutionized completely. It's just what he sounds like to me now, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y4sU7-UM9s

How have I never seen this video? :lol: Almost as funny as Ray Ferraro's impersonation of Dion Phaneuf, lol.

Bump.

Erik Karlsson continues to just dominate in the offensive category. Keep in mind this guy was a -30 last year, and Sens fans were calling for his head.

Spezza seems to have rediscovered his scoring touch. Alfredsson tallied 4 points tonight. At age 39, he continues to play a solid level of hockey. Milan Michalek continues to play solid.

Their younger forwards have really panned out well. Nick Foligno has really emerged as a solid 2 way player. Career-high 44 points for him this year. Colin Greening is a big kid that plays a good two way game. 35 points for the second-year player. Zack Smith has posted career highs in goals, assists, and points. kid isn't afraid to get his nose dirty.

They sit 7th in the East right now. I'd really like to see these guys make the playoffs.