• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
edicius

League takeover of cash-strapped Devils may be inevitable

Rate this topic

Whoa boy. Yet another stunning success in this league. *sigh*

The New Jersey Devils hockey team is months late on an $80 million debt payment to lenders and looking for a balance-sheet miracle -- that is, the securitization of its long-term TV deal with the MSG Network.

"[NHL Commissioner Gary] Bettman basically told him to figure out a resolution by mid-February, or he'll do what needs to be done," a source said, noting a league takeover is not out of the question.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/new-jersey-devils-looking-for-financial-miracle-011312

As someone who would like to see Parise leave the Devils (so the Wings would have a shot at signing him) I'd say this bodes well as you would think a cash strapped team wouldn't be looking to (or able to) committ large dollars long term to any one (even if it's Parise).

As someone who would like to see Parise leave the Devils (so the Wings would have a shot at signing him) I'd say this bodes well as you would think a cash strapped team wouldn't be looking to (or able to) committ large dollars long term to any one (even if it's Parise).

But what are they worth without him?

Lets say this does happen:

Hypothetically wouldn't it preclude Pho and NJ from being trading partners?

The league tried to force the sale of the yotes and that worked poorly.

Atlanta goes to Winnipeg easy as pie though?

This is confusing and makes me want to join the Bettman is stupid and needs to be removed group.

I mean by no means am I a fan of the guy, but some very good things have happened for the NHL under his watch. But there are some things where his stubbornness is a huge problem.

The Devils have a beautiful stadium. I truly enjoy going to the Prudential Center for games. The place is clean, the seats are nice and the fans that do go are loud. That being said I just don't know for how long you can expect people, even with public transportation abounding, to head into Newark on weeknights. Now, the Newark PD and mayor Cory Booker are working hard to make the area between Penn Station and the Prudential Center safer and safer there still have been several high profile shootings near the Prudential Center in broad daylight. Sadly too, there just aren't a lot of bars or places for Devils fans to go hang out and revel in a big win after the game. You go, you watch the game, you leave. Not like going to the Lafayette or American Coney Islands or The Post in Detroit. It's sure not like Broadway in Nashville with a plethora of fun stuff to do after the game.

The fans maybe fill The Rock 75% most nights. If they are playing Winnipeg or say Phoenix, make it 50%. If the Devils could build a stadium in say Jersey City or Hoboken the chances of their survival would be greater but we have no land here in JC or up in Hoboken for them to build a 20K stadium on.

The Devils are cursed with Newark, the same reason the Nets are leaving for Brooklyn

Edited by Jersey Wing

The Devils have a beautiful stadium. I truly enjoy going to the Prudential Center for games. The place is clean, the seats are nice and the fans that do go are loud. That being said I just don't know for how long you can expect people, even with public transportation abounding, to head into Newark on weeknights. Now, the Newark PD and mayor Cory Booker are working hard to make the area between Penn Station and the Prudential Center safer and safer there still have been several high profile shootings near the Prudential Center in broad daylight. Sadly too, there just aren't a lot of bars or places for Devils fans to go hang out and revel in a big win after the game. You go, you watch the game, you leave. Not like going to the Lafayette or American Coney Islands or The Post in Detroit. It's sure not like Broadway in Nashville with a plethora of fun stuff to do after the game.

The fans maybe fill The Rock 75% most nights. If they are playing Winnipeg or say Phoenix, make it 50%. If the Devils could build a stadium in say Jersey City or Hoboken the chances of their survival would be greater but we have no land here in JC or up in Hoboken for them to build a 20K stadium on.

The Devils are cursed with Newark, the same reason the Nets are leaving for Brooklyn

Newark Penn is surrounded by crackhead zombies. It is not a pleasant place to travel through, especially if you walk on the street to the Rock rather than through the buildings.

Brendan Byrne / the Izod center was a much better location, especially now that they have train service to the Meadowlands from the city.

Wow! They just built a new arena, and the Nets are moving to Brooklyn! In a few years there may only be one team in the NY city area!

Seriously the league is a mess financially, despite what Bettman says. They either need to move 6 teams to better markets, or just go back to 24 or 26 teams. I don't think there's shame in getting rid of 4-6 teams. Hockey just doesn't work in certain cities, and the NHL needs to come to grips with it.

Edit: I'm getting a little tired of all the negativity with the NHL all the time. Concussions and Bankrupt Teams are always the main topics. It's got me more interested in Baseball and Football.

Edited by Barrie

Isn't it the Devils' fault and not the league's for this circumstance?

My thoughts too. If they can't make it and can't sell then they league should just deal with the loss of the team. All these takeovers are no good and will lead to increased prices for those teams that are successful. Poor management of a team should NOT fall on everyone elses shoulders.

I don't really follow the Devils but it seems like even when they're very good, they still have trouble filling seats.

This is not fully true, the problem with the devils is how expensive their lower seats are as well as how much there is for those people to do there. Most of the game I go to, the upper levels are pretty well filled. Attendance is up again for them this year i believe. I think the tv makes it look worse than it really is. By no means is their attendance great, but there is a fan base here.