• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Trade Deadline Approaches

Rate this topic

I think Grabaski would be a GREAT pickup for the Wings. He provides speed, good passer and loves to shoot the puck. A guy like that is what this team could use and it would help spread out the offense for us in the playoffs. We could consistently rely on Pavs, Hank, Grabby, Franzen, Fil and Bert as our top 6 and dont forget the amazing bottom 6 we have. Also I think Grabby playing with Pavs would be a huge upgrade for that line over Franzen because it would give Pavs speed to work with and a player who actually tries every shift.

Excellent move couldn't agree more. I heard all the leafs want for grabs is a second rd pick. Roll the dice kenny

What it seems we need most is a guy that isn't afraid to go for the net. How many times do we see a guy streak into the zone and he just stops and passes it around or turns the puck over? Too often. Even if a shot doesn't give up a good rebound or the other team gets it anyway at least there's a chance we score. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

What it seems we need most is a guy that isn't afraid to go for the net. How many times do we see a guy streak into the zone and he just stops and passes it around or turns the puck over? Too often. Even if a shot doesn't give up a good rebound or the other team gets it anyway at least there's a chance we score. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

True and false.

The Wings biggest problem right now is lack of chemistry. Much of that has to do with not having the right guys going to the net to take advantage of the skills we already have.

Cleary, Bertuzzi, Franzen, Homer... they all go to the net. None of them mesh well in the top two lines to make it work. Mostly because only Cleary is fast enough to get there in time, but not big enough to push his way there. Combine that with Val, Hudler, Zetter, Pav... all who can't push their way there, and are better suited away from the net.... you have problems.

I think Brown and Morrow fit this build of having that combination...

Now you can also add a sniper to find soft spots away from the front and make it work. Once again, they need to mesh with the passers. I think Semin, vanek, Pomminville, and Selanne fit the bill...

Now... I kind of doubt anything is going to happen with either of these routes...

The big problem here is who ever could be had will be costly, and at the same time you have to make sure you would be able to make both top lines work.

I think if we were to add Semin... We could find him working well with Pavel on the top line, but then you really have the same problem... Who to add to the top line? Bert? Franzen? Hudler? Cleary? Really anyone you add, the second line STILL has the same problem of having unworkable chemistry.

I believe the best set up would be Zetter, Pav, and Brown or Franzen on the top line. Getting a guy who can shoot from the outside and go at the net while allowing the second line to have the other guy.

Bert Fil and Franzen has shown an inconsistent but workable scoring touch.

Really if Bert would pick up some speed, all of our problems would be solved without any moves. Same goes for Franzen.

They both act like anchors for the top two lines. That is why I would put them both together perhaps with Abs, Helm, or Fil and hope they can manage to keep up enough not to allow so many scoring chances. Yet they need someone to make the Euro Twins finish. I would kill to have a Hull type show up.

I would like to say, that if Holland was really smart... he would find someone, who isn't a big name, that can play a role like that...

You should be able to find a nobody whose style of game would fit in... I mean look at how some other duos in the league can add anyone and they become point producers. Sammeulson did that with the Wings once, and the Canucks once. We should be able to find someone like that, but not him.

WE could fix the top two lines by adding people that go to the net, or just adding people whom might have the right mix of other skills to compliment what we do have.

Brown would be the best addition.

Others that might work well include:

Jason Pominville

David Clarkson NJ

Scott Hartnell

T. Plekanec

Milan Michalek

Drew Stafford

Kris Versteeg

Michael Ryder

Blake Wheeler

Matt Cullen

Really shrewd moves...

Justin Williams might be a great add if not Brown. He has an affordable contract that will last for a few years... but is only 30 years old and brings almost everything the Wings are missing. Quick and gritty in the traffic areas, shoots first and has hit 30 goals before in a similar system in Carolina. Would fit in extremely well on the top line or the second line freeing up Johan to go up top for a power line with Pav and Hank.

Daniel Winnik this guy has a ton of shots on net. 151 at time of writing this... and fits the right handed big defensive depth role we were supposedly looking at... but with his size and grit... and the fact he shoots the puck a ton... he could be put on the top line with Pav and Zetter and at the very least form a shutdown line... but could at the best turn into a huge goal scorer.

Milan Hejduk right handed, quick release, could be a Hull fixture with the Euro's while coming fairly cheap.

PA Parenteau I really like the look of this kid, and think his game is on the rise. UFA and therefore could be cheap. Right handed, will shoot and is ready for a bigger role. The problem is he is a pass first type and would be a better addition to the second line with Val. I believe if you added him next to Val, you would have a similar set up to the top line with the Euro's... Then maybe you have Franzen on the second and Bert on the first and have two balanced top line, each which will have streaks.

Kyle Brodziak His contract is friendly though long, so likely wouldn't be moved from Minnesota. Described as a checking line center... we could be shrewd and use him in a bigger role as he will shoot before he passes. He is defense first, and on the top line with Zetter and Pav, he could focus more on offense. The problem is he would contribute to the poor skating problems of the top two lines. If he didn't pan out, we make the logjam at the bottom problem worse while taking money away from resigning our major players.

Ray Whitney Yeah, we all know what he doesn't bring. I just think he is one of the cheaper major point producers available while adding a righty. Could do worse out of a rental.

Patrik Elias. Okay, getting him would mean taking ourselves out of the Parise sweepstakes next season, and would allow NJ to keep them... now here is why it would be shrewd... it allows us to make the Devils happy, and create a stronger trading partner, would give us a ppg player for two seasons that would mesh extremely well on either top line. Would make it easier for Bert and Franzen to produce more and would allow Hudler someone for him to emulate his game upon. He also would help the power play.

Would be the biggest star we could add at the deadline, and would actually help the leadership of the strongest leadership team in the league. His contract would expire in time for our hardship year at the cap, and he could return on a vet level cheap contract afterwards. He provides the best opportunity to add a ppg player the Wings have without sacrificing the future.

Bryan Little Younger and better than Hudler, even if he plays a similar game. Yet has a better shot, which makes all the difference in the world. He would score more goals in the same role as Hudler. Has two years on the contract, and could be flipped next year in a deadline deal. If you doubt it, check the scouting report. "Is a good playmaker who can be employed on the wing, as well as his natural center position. Owns a good wrist shot and sound defensive instincts. Is a tireless worker. Can snipe, too." The problem here is Winnipeg most likely would not trade him. I would at least inquire.

This is just some ideas, to think outside of the box. Unfortunately, it seems as if these moves are less likely than the world ending at the end of the year. Instead the Wings will add Paul Gaustad who won't bring anything to the team, but some bad penalties and less ice time or a lost roster spot for players like Emmerton and Mursak. I still say if we are to lose either of those players, I would rather it be a part of a trade for someone with a bigger impact than Gustad or Moen. Fighting doesn't win games.

Edited by Majsheppard

Just saw on TSN trade centre that P.A. Parenteau is being actively shopped by the Isles. Over 50-points the last 2 seasons on a bad team, not the biggest but is a right hand shot and can play physical. What do you think?

Another year of hopes and expectations fizzled away. Why wouldn't we just wait til the offseason to make that Commodore deal and keep him for insurance through the playoffs? It kind of seems unnecessary to get that 7th pick today opposed to the end of the year.

Another year of hopes and expectations fizzled away. Why wouldn't we just wait til the offseason to make that Commodore deal and keep him for insurance through the playoffs? It kind of seems unnecessary to get that 7th pick today opposed to the end of the year.

It was a respect move on Hollands part. Commie just wanted to play and he didn't really have a chance to here.. Plus they wanted smith to get some playing time in before playoffs. Agreed, commie would've been great insurance. I actually liked when he played and it's a little disappointing seeing him go but I'm glad also because he'll actually get playing time down in Tampa.

It was a respect move on Hollands part. Commie just wanted to play and he didn't really have a chance to here.. Plus they wanted smith to get some playing time in before playoffs. Agreed, commie would've been great insurance. I actually liked when he played and it's a little disappointing seeing him go but I'm glad also because he'll actually get playing time down in Tampa.

I didn't really think about it like that so +1. If that's the case and it was out of respect for Mike putting him in a better situation then it's much more understandable. I also think in the long run it helps maintain a good relationship with Yzerman and the Lightning. With that said, I do hope to see Commie get to play in Tampa much more than he was able to here.

yea holland said he did it so commie had an opportunity to play out this year in hopes of earning a contract for next year. hard to expect a contract when you play less than 20 games the previous year all as healthy scratches.

he'll get to play out this year, even if it is w/ a last place team.....at least he can display his abilities to the other 28 teams.