63 replies to this topic

#1 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

What do you guys think about this?

I just saw that Boston is willing to give up a 1st round pick at the deadline. For a while now there has been talk about them being active at the deadline. Same goes for the NYR and Chicago and they currently sit atop the conference standings right now.

So it looks like the best teams in the game right now are not content with where they are at; they are looking to get even better!

GRANTED, we haven't had the type of cash we have now at the deadline in what seems like forever. So based on what we are seeing other teams do, would you guys be disappointed if Kenny doesn't do something somewhat significant at the deadline? This is basically the same team that has lost the last two years and a Chicago with a healthy Sharp is pretty good.

#2 pazzloski

pazzloski

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

disappointed yes, surprised no.

#3 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

Right now the team is good, but it's not significantly better than any of the other top teams. If those teams make moves we essentially have to make a significant move. Not a desperate one, but we've got to at the very least keep pace, and this team does need a little extra jump to go deep.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#4 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

Any top team will be looking to deal- especially those with cap space. This is the same story every year. However, this will likely bid up the price of the available players. Of all the top teams (Wings included) I would be surprised is more than half make substantial (more than prospects) moves.

#5 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'd be surprised and disappointed if we don't at least explore the option of adding something, but not terribly upset if we can't work anything out.

Our good trade assets are pretty much Flip, Nyquist, and picks. Maybe another top forward prospect if we're adding a young star forward. Or Stuart, Kindl, or Smith if we're adding a young star defenseman. Enough to make a good offer, but maybe not enough to match what other buyers are willing to spend.

#6 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

Well, considering the teams you named that are willing to give up a 1st rounder, it would seem if Holland was willing to give up a 1st rounder that he would get the better in return since it will more than likely be a higher pick than Boston or Chicago or Vancouver or maybe even St. Louis. I would hope that the Wings finish higher, but it really doesn't matter, because if you are gonna win the Cup, you are gonna have to learn to win on the road anyhow.

Regarding making a move, I really hope Holland takes that huge jump and gets a top line player. Who that may be, I am not sure, but the names that have been surfacing would all help more than us losing a Hudler or Franzen would hurt. Perry, Ryan, Iginla, Doan, Parise, etc... I would love to see a huge move at the deadline, but would also be OK with a Hemsky or Moen and maybe an actual NHL defender coming here. I like Commodore, and I can stand Kindl a little, but they are both 7th d-men. IF Holland could score a veteran defender rental for a solid Cup run (Hal Gill type) I think we would be sitting pretty! Oh and all respect to Conklin, but if Holland can land Nabokov for the Cup run then I am all for it!

If this team acquired Hemsky for a top 6 forward, Moen & Gill to shore up the bottom 6 and defense and of course Nabby to solidify the goaltender position. Then if it doesn't work, go for a revamp come July 1st which is on my wish list, a #1 defender to replace Lidstrom (eventually) and TWO legit top snipers...who or from where? Don't know.

EDIT: :lol: DOn't get what part of this deserves a neg...as usually people won't explain or debate why they disagree.

Edited by LeftWinger, 16 January 2012 - 02:13 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#7 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

Kenny has made moves when he has had cap space, so I personally would be surprised to see him do nothing for Lidstrom's potentially last playoff season.

Posted Image

#8 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Ken Holland likes his team and will not be making any moves.

However, it is looking like he won't be able to use the old " Insert injured player here is our deadline acquisition " this season, knock on wood.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#9 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

Rumor has it that Pittsburgh is looking to trade one of their better forwards.

Posted Image
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#10 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

Posted Image

that would be the day i quit.
Posted Image

#11 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

Posted Image

Dont get me wrong, I would probably cry if that ever happened, but at least it's not Cory Cross
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#12 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

Dont get me wrong, I would probably cry if that ever happened, but at least it's not Cory Cross

you mean this cory cross?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_PSs8Kq6C4

:P
Posted Image

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

I really miss the pre-salary cap era.

10 years ago, we'd be the frontrunners for an Iginla or Perry. Then in the offseason, we could have gotten Weber easily.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#14 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

As I said before, I will be disapointed if we don't make a move

* Away form not withstanding, this is the best we've played in the regular season since '07-08. Defensively strong, great goaltending

* Possibly Lidstroms last season - we owe it to him to give him every chance to go out on a high

* Cap space

There are areas this team could improve itself - top line goalscorer, bigger/tougher depth players.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#15 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

I'd be surprised and disappointed if we don't at least explore the option of adding something, but not terribly upset if we can't work anything out.

Our good trade assets are pretty much Flip, Nyquist, and picks. Maybe another top forward prospect if we're adding a young star forward. Or Stuart, Kindl, or Smith if we're adding a young star defenseman. Enough to make a good offer, but maybe not enough to match what other buyers are willing to spend.

I disagree on Filppula. He is coming into his own and on a career year. He has been easiest the second best forward on this team behind Datsyuk. If we are talking trade one of our top 6 forwards I would rather it be Franzen and Hudler going. Franzen, Hudler, Kindl then some prospects and draft picks including our 1st rounder. Those are the assets I would be shopping...

www.thinkdunes.com

#16 Grateful Gadsby

Grateful Gadsby

Rookie

• Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

I disagree on Filppula. He is coming into his own and on a career year. He has been easiest the second best forward on this team behind Datsyuk. If we are talking trade one of our top 6 forwards I would rather it be Franzen and Hudler going. Franzen, Hudler, Kindl then some prospects and draft picks including our 1st rounder. Those are the assets I would be shopping...

Not sure if there would be as many takers for Franzen as we would like. That contract could be difficult to move given his injury history and streakiness.

#17 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

This upcoming off-season has a lot of high-end talent becoming UFAs, if memory serves. I can very easily see Holland sitting on his hands at the deadline in hopes of picking up someone on July 1st, after another likely playoff exit, and signing a top 3 forward or top 2 defensman to a long-term contract.

Its an interesting option: Sacrifice some pieces of our future for a stronger shot at the Cup now (with Lidstrom, Homer, Stuart all still a part of the organization), with the possible risk of our acquisition leaving in the off-season, or go into the playoffs this year with what we have, keep the prospects, and go for a star player for cheaper in the off season to be a contender for years to come. The issue is whether years to come will include tough to replace pieces like Lids, Stuie, and Homer (regardless of what people's opinions of him are).

#18 AceInTheSleeve

AceInTheSleeve

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Well, considering the teams you named that are willing to give up a 1st rounder, it would seem if Holland was willing to give up a 1st rounder that he would get the better in return since it will more than likely be a higher pick than Boston or Chicago or Vancouver or maybe even St. Louis. I would hope that the Wings finish higher, but it really doesn't matter, because if you are gonna win the Cup, you are gonna have to learn to win on the road anyhow.

Regarding making a move, I really hope Holland takes that huge jump and gets a top line player. Who that may be, I am not sure, but the names that have been surfacing would all help more than us losing a Hudler or Franzen would hurt. Perry, Ryan, Iginla, Doan, Parise, etc... I would love to see a huge move at the deadline, but would also be OK with a Hemsky or Moen and maybe an actual NHL defender coming here. I like Commodore, and I can stand Kindl a little, but they are both 7th d-men. IF Holland could score a veteran defender rental for a solid Cup run (Hal Gill type) I think we would be sitting pretty! Oh and all respect to Conklin, but if Holland can land Nabokov for the Cup run then I am all for it!

If this team acquired Hemsky for a top 6 forward, Moen & Gill to shore up the bottom 6 and defense and of course Nabby to solidify the goaltender position. Then if it doesn't work, go for a revamp come July 1st which is on my wish list, a #1 defender to replace Lidstrom (eventually) and TWO legit top snipers...who or from where? Don't know.

EDIT: :lol: DOn't get what part of this deserves a neg...as usually people won't explain or debate why they disagree.

I am SO glad you are not GM of the Wings!

#19 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

Not really sure what you disagree with here and the reason for that comment, you wouldn't want players like Ryan, Perry, Iginla, or Parise to wind up playing here? I would, and i'd take Nabokov over Conklin as our backup any day. Aside from Doan and Gill who are both gross, if feasable i'd take on just about anyone else mentioned above.

As for the deadline, realistically for this season, my expectations are low. The primary complaint or question at the beginning of the season was whether or not Flip and Huds were gonna be productive enough to play consistently in our top 6 and well, they have been. There's always room for improvement, but if these two were sitting on 10-15 points on the season at this point I would say the chances of us adding another player at the deadline would be much more likely.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#20 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

Ya, because teams are just gonna give us their top players for our prospects or draft picks or better yet, just for the hell of it! Oh ya, come July 1st, I forgot, ALL ufa's are lining up to come play in Detroit for discounts. It won't cost us anything to acquire the best players in the league!

Dude, if you are happy with the roster right now, just say so, there is no need to throw smart ass comments around. You could've just said "I think we have a great team and we don't need anything! Go Wings!" But you'd rather look and sound like an ass. +1 for you!

Not sure if there would be as many takers for Franzen as we would like. That contract could be difficult to move given his injury history and streakiness.

That's the problem..I know. Unfortunately nobody is really gonna take on that hunk of junk contract. The cap hit is nice, but the length is asinine. Filppula is way more important to this team than Franzen I just hope he doesn't get sacrificed. I guess we will see. I do hope that if we stand pat, so do the rest of the upper teams. If Chicago/San Jose/Vancouver all get better by making bold moves, we are in deep trouble. I cannot imagine if Chicago picked up Perry or Ryan or Iginla....ugh. This might get ugly...

www.thinkdunes.com