• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Top teams are looking to deal

Rate this topic

What do you guys think about this?

I just saw that Boston is willing to give up a 1st round pick at the deadline. For a while now there has been talk about them being active at the deadline. Same goes for the NYR and Chicago and they currently sit atop the conference standings right now.

So it looks like the best teams in the game right now are not content with where they are at; they are looking to get even better!

GRANTED, we haven't had the type of cash we have now at the deadline in what seems like forever. So based on what we are seeing other teams do, would you guys be disappointed if Kenny doesn't do something somewhat significant at the deadline? This is basically the same team that has lost the last two years and a Chicago with a healthy Sharp is pretty good.

Right now the team is good, but it's not significantly better than any of the other top teams. If those teams make moves we essentially have to make a significant move. Not a desperate one, but we've got to at the very least keep pace, and this team does need a little extra jump to go deep.

Any top team will be looking to deal- especially those with cap space. This is the same story every year. However, this will likely bid up the price of the available players. Of all the top teams (Wings included) I would be surprised is more than half make substantial (more than prospects) moves.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if we don't at least explore the option of adding something, but not terribly upset if we can't work anything out.

Our good trade assets are pretty much Flip, Nyquist, and picks. Maybe another top forward prospect if we're adding a young star forward. Or Stuart, Kindl, or Smith if we're adding a young star defenseman. Enough to make a good offer, but maybe not enough to match what other buyers are willing to spend.

Well, considering the teams you named that are willing to give up a 1st rounder, it would seem if Holland was willing to give up a 1st rounder that he would get the better in return since it will more than likely be a higher pick than Boston or Chicago or Vancouver or maybe even St. Louis. I would hope that the Wings finish higher, but it really doesn't matter, because if you are gonna win the Cup, you are gonna have to learn to win on the road anyhow.

Regarding making a move, I really hope Holland takes that huge jump and gets a top line player. Who that may be, I am not sure, but the names that have been surfacing would all help more than us losing a Hudler or Franzen would hurt. Perry, Ryan, Iginla, Doan, Parise, etc... I would love to see a huge move at the deadline, but would also be OK with a Hemsky or Moen and maybe an actual NHL defender coming here. I like Commodore, and I can stand Kindl a little, but they are both 7th d-men. IF Holland could score a veteran defender rental for a solid Cup run (Hal Gill type) I think we would be sitting pretty! Oh and all respect to Conklin, but if Holland can land Nabokov for the Cup run then I am all for it!

If this team acquired Hemsky for a top 6 forward, Moen & Gill to shore up the bottom 6 and defense and of course Nabby to solidify the goaltender position. Then if it doesn't work, go for a revamp come July 1st which is on my wish list, a #1 defender to replace Lidstrom (eventually) and TWO legit top snipers...who or from where? Don't know.

EDIT: :lol: DOn't get what part of this deserves a neg...as usually people won't explain or debate why they disagree.

Edited by LeftWinger

As I said before, I will be disapointed if we don't make a move

* Away form not withstanding, this is the best we've played in the regular season since '07-08. Defensively strong, great goaltending

* Possibly Lidstroms last season - we owe it to him to give him every chance to go out on a high

* Cap space

There are areas this team could improve itself - top line goalscorer, bigger/tougher depth players.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if we don't at least explore the option of adding something, but not terribly upset if we can't work anything out.

Our good trade assets are pretty much Flip, Nyquist, and picks. Maybe another top forward prospect if we're adding a young star forward. Or Stuart, Kindl, or Smith if we're adding a young star defenseman. Enough to make a good offer, but maybe not enough to match what other buyers are willing to spend.

I disagree on Filppula. He is coming into his own and on a career year. He has been easiest the second best forward on this team behind Datsyuk. If we are talking trade one of our top 6 forwards I would rather it be Franzen and Hudler going. Franzen, Hudler, Kindl then some prospects and draft picks including our 1st rounder. Those are the assets I would be shopping...

I disagree on Filppula. He is coming into his own and on a career year. He has been easiest the second best forward on this team behind Datsyuk. If we are talking trade one of our top 6 forwards I would rather it be Franzen and Hudler going. Franzen, Hudler, Kindl then some prospects and draft picks including our 1st rounder. Those are the assets I would be shopping...

Not sure if there would be as many takers for Franzen as we would like. That contract could be difficult to move given his injury history and streakiness.

This upcoming off-season has a lot of high-end talent becoming UFAs, if memory serves. I can very easily see Holland sitting on his hands at the deadline in hopes of picking up someone on July 1st, after another likely playoff exit, and signing a top 3 forward or top 2 defensman to a long-term contract.

Its an interesting option: Sacrifice some pieces of our future for a stronger shot at the Cup now (with Lidstrom, Homer, Stuart all still a part of the organization), with the possible risk of our acquisition leaving in the off-season, or go into the playoffs this year with what we have, keep the prospects, and go for a star player for cheaper in the off season to be a contender for years to come. The issue is whether years to come will include tough to replace pieces like Lids, Stuie, and Homer (regardless of what people's opinions of him are).

Well, considering the teams you named that are willing to give up a 1st rounder, it would seem if Holland was willing to give up a 1st rounder that he would get the better in return since it will more than likely be a higher pick than Boston or Chicago or Vancouver or maybe even St. Louis. I would hope that the Wings finish higher, but it really doesn't matter, because if you are gonna win the Cup, you are gonna have to learn to win on the road anyhow.

Regarding making a move, I really hope Holland takes that huge jump and gets a top line player. Who that may be, I am not sure, but the names that have been surfacing would all help more than us losing a Hudler or Franzen would hurt. Perry, Ryan, Iginla, Doan, Parise, etc... I would love to see a huge move at the deadline, but would also be OK with a Hemsky or Moen and maybe an actual NHL defender coming here. I like Commodore, and I can stand Kindl a little, but they are both 7th d-men. IF Holland could score a veteran defender rental for a solid Cup run (Hal Gill type) I think we would be sitting pretty! Oh and all respect to Conklin, but if Holland can land Nabokov for the Cup run then I am all for it!

If this team acquired Hemsky for a top 6 forward, Moen & Gill to shore up the bottom 6 and defense and of course Nabby to solidify the goaltender position. Then if it doesn't work, go for a revamp come July 1st which is on my wish list, a #1 defender to replace Lidstrom (eventually) and TWO legit top snipers...who or from where? Don't know.

EDIT: :lol: DOn't get what part of this deserves a neg...as usually people won't explain or debate why they disagree.

I am SO glad you are not GM of the Wings!

Not really sure what you disagree with here and the reason for that comment, you wouldn't want players like Ryan, Perry, Iginla, or Parise to wind up playing here? I would, and i'd take Nabokov over Conklin as our backup any day. Aside from Doan and Gill who are both gross, if feasable i'd take on just about anyone else mentioned above.

As for the deadline, realistically for this season, my expectations are low. The primary complaint or question at the beginning of the season was whether or not Flip and Huds were gonna be productive enough to play consistently in our top 6 and well, they have been. There's always room for improvement, but if these two were sitting on 10-15 points on the season at this point I would say the chances of us adding another player at the deadline would be much more likely.

Ya, because teams are just gonna give us their top players for our prospects or draft picks or better yet, just for the hell of it! Oh ya, come July 1st, I forgot, ALL ufa's are lining up to come play in Detroit for discounts. It won't cost us anything to acquire the best players in the league!

Dude, if you are happy with the roster right now, just say so, there is no need to throw smart ass comments around. You could've just said "I think we have a great team and we don't need anything! Go Wings!" But you'd rather look and sound like an ass. +1 for you!

Not sure if there would be as many takers for Franzen as we would like. That contract could be difficult to move given his injury history and streakiness.

That's the problem..I know. Unfortunately nobody is really gonna take on that hunk of junk contract. The cap hit is nice, but the length is asinine. Filppula is way more important to this team than Franzen I just hope he doesn't get sacrificed. I guess we will see. I do hope that if we stand pat, so do the rest of the upper teams. If Chicago/San Jose/Vancouver all get better by making bold moves, we are in deep trouble. I cannot imagine if Chicago picked up Perry or Ryan or Iginla....ugh. This might get ugly...

This upcoming off-season has a lot of high-end talent becoming UFAs, if memory serves. I can very easily see Holland sitting on his hands at the deadline in hopes of picking up someone on July 1st, after another likely playoff exit, and signing a top 3 forward or top 2 defensman to a long-term contract.

Its an interesting option: Sacrifice some pieces of our future for a stronger shot at the Cup now (with Lidstrom, Homer, Stuart all still a part of the organization), with the possible risk of our acquisition leaving in the off-season, or go into the playoffs this year with what we have, keep the prospects, and go for a star player for cheaper in the off season to be a contender for years to come. The issue is whether years to come will include tough to replace pieces like Lids, Stuie, and Homer (regardless of what people's opinions of him are).

I guess for me it would be the kind of deal in place. Say for example we don't make a move: that means we would have had ~$6 million that we didn't use for this season meaning that we would have been in the same situation if we didn't have that space (i.e. we had $6 mil to spend and we just sat on it).

$6 mil is great for a rental player; at the end of the season that $6 mil will be right back in our hands again.

Of course it would depend on what we give up as to whether or not it would be worth it. "Experts" believe that we have one of the deepest farm clubs in the league, so i think that could give us some leeway into dishing out picks and/or prospects.

Edited by unsaddleddonald

Can you imagine if Holland added Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan or Ryan Getzlaf? Brian Murray has stated that they are all available. Of course the Wings would have to put a package together to get one of them. But I will tell you now, if Datsyuk gets injured for a prolonged period the Wings are done. Look at Chicago.... they are without Sharp and it doesn't matter. Datsyuk misses one game and Detroit does not look the same.. even though Howie also missed that game.

Detroit needs a TOP forward if they seriously are to contend for the cup. The only one on the roster that Murray would probably want AND that Detroit would trade is Filppula along with some top prospects. Yeh, I know people see Filppula FINALLY starting to do something ...but it took SIX years. That is the point .... Filppula's stock is high right now.... but I don't expect it to stay up there. Filppula is doing better simply because Detroit is relying on him more and he is getting tons of ice time.

Detroit needs size, speed and toughness.... more than what Filppula can provide. I would take any one of the Ducks top forwards in a minute. Filppula has a tough time going up against the big forwards of Vancouver, San Jose, St. Louis and Chicago.... all possible opponents in the playoffs.

Also, the Wings are not going to be able to resign Stuart because he wants to live in California. So they would probably have to trade him for Beauchemin, Vlassic or Douglas Murray... although I would love the Wings to get Jack Johnson from LA.

Lastly, the Wings need a backup goalie.... everyone seems to think it will be Nabokov.

Can you imagine if Holland added Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan or Ryan Getzlaf? Brian Murray has stated that they are all available. Of course the Wings would have to put a package together to get one of them. But I will tell you now, if Datsyuk gets injured for a prolonged period the Wings are done. Look at Chicago.... they are without Sharp and it doesn't matter. Datsyuk misses one game and Detroit does not look the same.. even though Howie also missed that game.

Detroit needs a TOP forward if they seriously are to contend for the cup. The only one on the roster that Murray would probably want AND that Detroit would trade is Filppula along with some top prospects. Yeh, I know people see Filppula FINALLY starting to do something ...but it took SIX years. That is the point .... Filppula's stock is high right now.... but I don't expect it to stay up there. Filppula is doing better simply because Detroit is relying on him more and he is getting tons of ice time.

Detroit needs size, speed and toughness.... more than what Filppula can provide. I would take any one of the Ducks top forwards in a minute. Filppula has a tough time going up against the big forwards of Vancouver, San Jose, St. Louis and Chicago.... all possible opponents in the playoffs.

Also, the Wings are not going to be able to resign Stuart because he wants to live in California. So they would probably have to trade him for Beauchemin, Vlassic or Douglas Murray... although I would love the Wings to get Jack Johnson from LA.

Lastly, the Wings need a backup goalie.... everyone seems to think it will be Nabokov.

Sharp has been out one game for the Hawks. Lets see how they do the next 3-4 weeks. The Wings did without Dats for one game. I think to make a fair comparison, you should see how the Wings would have to do without Dats for an extended period of time. Not just one game and consider them to be horrible without him.

Any team is going to struggle without their top line players. Sharp is their 3rd scorer on the team and it will result in them losing some games.

So many people thinking that teams are going to trade Flip or Hudler for top line talent. I guess I better have what you are having.

Jack Johnson isn't worth trading for. Stuart is far better.

Nabokov isn't worth trading for either. The Isles will demand more than he is worth.

I am glad Holland is calling the shots for this team. He will make the right calls, and I can almost guarantee you that Hudler, Flip, Stuart, and Conklin will be with the team at the end of the playoffs.

Sharp has been out one game for the Hawks. Lets see how they do the next 3-4 weeks. The Wings did without Dats for one game. I think to make a fair comparison, you should see how the Wings would have to do without Dats for an extended period of time. Not just one game and consider them to be horrible without him.

Any team is going to struggle without their top line players. Sharp is their 3rd scorer on the team and it will result in them losing some games.

So many people thinking that teams are going to trade Flip or Hudler for top line talent. I guess I better have what you are having.

Jack Johnson isn't worth trading for. Stuart is far better.

Nabokov isn't worth trading for either. The Isles will demand more than he is worth.

I am glad Holland is calling the shots for this team. He will make the right calls, and I can almost guarantee you that Hudler, Flip, Stuart, and Conklin will be with the team at the end of the playoffs.

Sharp has been out for FOUR games and Chicago has won three of them and almost came back to beat Detroit. Chicago has Hossa, Toews and Kane backing up Sharp. Who does Detroit have backing up Datsyuk?? NO ONE on the Red Wings is nearly as good as Datsyuk on BOTH offense AND defense.

Detroit needs another top forward... period. Detroit is going to have Hudler because no one would even want him.... he can not compete with the big teams like San Jose, St. Louis and Vancouver. Yeh he gets a few points against the smaller non-playoff teams... big deal.

San Jose already OWNS the Wings because of their size.... they play Red Wing hockey with SIZE! Detroit simply will not be able to compete in the playoffs if they have back-to-back series with St. Louis, San Jose or Vancouver.

Conklin is useless.... ANYONE would be better than him. IF Howie gets injured Wings are done. If Datsyuk gets injured at any point in March, April, etc... Wings are done. If Stuart stays with the Wings Detroit will get nothing for him.

There is really no one other than Filppula, who Detroit would be willing to trade, who can get you a player that is actually worth something. And like I wrote earlier to get a top forward two top prospects would have to be included with Filppula. Filppula's stock is high right now... come May it will be worthless.

There are now THREE good teams playing the "Red Wing" system..... San Jose, Chicago and St. Louis and they all have the size advantage. Filppula gets thrown to the ice almost as much as Hudler. The second line of Filppula, Z and Hudler will be a very weak one for the playoffs.

Edited by Icesurfer

Sharp has been out for FOUR games and Chicago has won three of them and almost came back to beat Detroit. Chicago has Hossa, Toews and Kane backing up Sharp. Who does Detroit have backing up Datsyuk?? NO ONE on the Red Wings is nearly as good as Datsyuk on BOTH offense AND defense.

Detroit needs another top forward... period. Detroit is going to have Hudler because no one would even want him.... he can not compete with the big teams like San Jose, St. Louis and Vancouver. Yeh he gets a few points against the smaller non-playoff teams... big deal.

San Jose already OWNS the Wings because of their size.... they play Red Wing hockey with SIZE! Detroit simply will not be able to compete in the playoffs if they have back-to-back series with St. Louis, San Jose or Vancouver.

Conklin is useless.... ANYONE would be better than him. IF Howie gets injured Wings are done. If Datsyuk gets injured at any point in March, April, etc... Wings are done. If Stuart stays with the Wings Detroit will get nothing for him.

There is really no one other than Filppula, who Detroit would be willing to trade, who can get you a player that is actually worth something. And like I wrote earlier to get a top forward two top prospects would have to be included with Filppula. Filppula's stock is high right now... come May it will be worthless.

There are now THREE good teams playing the "Red Wing" system..... San Jose, Chicago and St. Louis and they all have the size advantage. Filppula gets thrown to the ice almost as much as Hudler. The second line of Filppula, Z and Hudler will be a very weak one for the playoffs.

You are right. I thought he was only out 1 game and it was 4. Thanks for the correction.

Aside from that, I think you are going overboard on your analysis. Think back to 1996 and 1997 up until the playoffs when Colorado "owned" the Wings. The Shanahan trade really was huge, but we gave up Coffey and Primeau, who were good players. I don't see anything the Wings are willing to give up for a player like that this year.

This year, things will be different than last year. San Jose is a different team. Chicago is a different team. St. Louis is a very different team. Size means very little when you factor in grit and hard work. I see these things from the Wings more this year than last year. If you can't see it by their defensive play alone, then I can't help you. :)

What people want is for us to give up a s*** player for a exceptional one, and no team is going to make a trade for that. I would hope that Holland would NOT trade our future away. We have cap space, but what we don't have right now are prospects in the system that are exceptional players. I don't see the next Dats and Z in the system. I don't see the next Lids in the system either. I see good players, but no one who is going to light it up. When Z and Dats are gone, what are the Wings going to do if they traded away their future today?

Just something to think about. We have far too many people who believe that trading our future away right now is the way to go. We need to be more careful especially in the salary cap era.