• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
deltawing

Brad Stuart to the West Coast?

Rate this topic

Stuart for Murray? Maybe a low pick in there, don't know for who. Maybe swap different round picks, conditional on Stuart re-signing? Don't know if The Sharks bite (pun intended) but, it would be a fairly equal trade. Stu has more offense upside, if you can say that about Stuart. Murray is a rock solid stay at home guy who can clear the crease, and is a pretty good hitter and shot blocker.

Don't really think they would go for it, but if Kenny makes them an offer they can't refuse...

In our dreams.

I don't believe Stuart will resign with Detroit next year because his family lives in California. Francois Beauchemin, Vlassic, Douglas Murray or Jack Johnson would be targets for the Wings. Rumors are LA would be willing to trade Jack Johnson but the Wings would probably have to trade Smith and Stuart to get him.

Unfortunately trading Stuart doesn't help us imo. I don't see us getting much in return by trading him unless other pieces from us are sent. Looking like a no win for situation for us in the end. He'll probably sign with a west coast team next year and honestly I don't blame him. He's a good stay at home guy. I liked him better when he would drop the gloves every now and then but oh well. Still a good defenseman but replaceable.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

just go BIG,With the Ducks almost 100% out of the playoffs get a deal done for Ryan, Stuart will be out in California which seems like he wants to be back out there and the Ducks get much needed help on D

TO ANA- Stuart,Hudler,1st or 2nd round pick, and a prospect

To DET- Ryan and Brookbank

or something like that....

Bryan Allen as Stuy's replacement?, im sure he's out of contract end of this year. Same type of player as Stu a year younger, bigger and $1m cheaper at present.He is also a former high pick like Stu, and should bring in the

same sort of vet leadership we'd lose if Stuy does go. I hope he stays.

What about the Kings? Still California. I'm sure the wife might consider a move as long as it's still California.

Who is this lady Yoko Ono?

Edit: I dont feel like talking about Stuart leaving yet. Ive always liked him and feel like he's turning his back on us a little bit. It's not a trade or anything, he just doesnt want to play here.

Edited by 13dangledangle

I don't think the Wings are in a position to move a top 4 defender, whether he's leaving or not. The teams looking for a pending UFA, veteran defender are teams who are going to be in the post-season. We'd essentially be giving the competition a boost. The game is so tight now that even the smallest bounce could make or break a playoff series. What if that "bounce" is Stuart scooping the puck off the goal line.

Even if we do lose Stuart for "nothing" in the off-season, we gained a solid defender for 5 years for a 2nd and a 4th. Smith is going to step onto the team next season, and who knows who we might pluck off free agency. The safest bet here is that the team is going to keep Stuart for a run at the cup. At most, I think that maybe they can sell his rights for a low-end draft pick before July 1st.

Who is this lady Yoko Ono?

Edit: I dont feel like talking about Stuart leaving yet. Ive always liked him and feel like he's turning his back on us a little bit. It's not a trade or anything, he just doesnt want to play here.

IF the rumors are true about him wanting to head back to California, I think yours is an unfair indictment of Stuart. From everything we've heard and read, leaving Detroit for CA would in no way be a reflection of his feelings about Detroit as a city, a team or an organization. In fact, I'd be surprised if he has anything but positive thoughts about his time here. He won the Cup, boosted his level of play and all in all busted his ass for us.

Stuart wanting to be near his family, and most likely doing it at the expense of playing for a contender (this assumes Holland does everything in his power to keep him out of SJ) shows character to me, honestly. Family should always come first, and he's definitely already done his share of the bringing-home-the-bacon part of that job description while in Detroit. He's paid his NHL dues, and apparently wants to finish the second half of his career near his loved ones. I don't know about anyone else, but there is no way I'd trade being able to spend months and months per year with my daughter out of loyalty to any employer.

In short, I'll miss him (he's one of my favorites on the team), but not only do I understand why he'd move on, a part of me actually applauds it.

Unfortunately trading Stuart doesn't help us imo. I don't see us getting much in return by trading him unless other pieces from us are sent. Looking like a no win for situation for us in the end. He'll probably sign with a west coast team next year and honestly I don't blame him. He's a good stay at home guy. I liked him better when he would drop the gloves every now and then but oh well. Still a good defenseman but replaceable.

So much so that he wants to play near his family.

If we DID trade Stuart, and say, got a forward in return... who would replace him on defense? Just go with Commie/Kindl? Or do we bring Smith up?

While I understand the situation, our defense is finally playing really well for the first time in a few seasons, do we want to risk messing that up?

Smith for sure. Commodore is the 7th dman. Smith is the only replacement for Stuart that may have an upside. Trade Stuart for a fwd that SHOOTS! franzen and Z shoot a lot, but not all shots are of a high quality. as for Stuart being replaced by smith...smith is seemingly just as tough and he's got better offensive potential. can't wait to see him on the wings full time, unfortunately at the possible expense of stuart and a possible departure of lids in the offseason even though the world thinks he can play 5 more seasons...

just thought of this... WHEN anaheim misses the playoffs and knows it by the deadline, the wings could trade stuart for selanne. smith comes up and plays in place of stuart and selanne goes on the second line with Z and flip.

Smith for sure. Commodore is the 7th dman. Smith is the only replacement for Stuart that may have an upside. Trade Stuart for a fwd that SHOOTS! franzen and Z shoot a lot, but not all shots are of a high quality. as for Stuart being replaced by smith...smith is seemingly just as tough and he's got better offensive potential. can't wait to see him on the wings full time, unfortunately at the possible expense of stuart and a possible departure of lids in the offseason even though the world thinks he can play 5 more seasons...

just thought of this... WHEN anaheim misses the playoffs and knows it by the deadline, the wings could trade stuart for selanne. smith comes up and plays in place of stuart and selanne goes on the second line with Z and flip.

I don't feel comfortable trading our 2nd best defensive D-man with a Stanley Cup win and six or seven post seasons under his belt and replacing him with a rookie even if it got us Selanne.

Not trying to be snarky, but I see a couple problems with this idea:

1) Selanne isn't going anywhere. He'll retire a Duck.

2) Why would we risk our playoffs by putting a rookie in place of our best stay at home guy? Selanne would definitely add some scoring punch, but wouldn't the replacement of Stuart with an unproven prospect more than offset that benefit?

3) The only way this works, assuming Selanne agreed to it, is if he's set on retiring after this season. So what have we netted unless he single handedly brings us the cup?

Edited by Uncle Danny

Defenseman from California I'd like to get in return for Stuart:

Matt Greene

Willie Mitchell

Douglas Murray

Sheldon Brookbank

thats why im saying get a package done for Bobby Ryan and Brookbank,...Stuart,Hudler picks/prospects....or something

let's get honest for a while. with the trade deadline "prices" of recent years player like Stuart can land Wings a ton of high draft picks or quality prospects.

and I mean youngsters who are expected to become regular 2nd liners or 2nd pair D-men. so, yes, if Kenny has a good option, I definitely think it is at

least worth considering. it sure isn't the best thing to weaken our defense corps that aren't exactly league's best right now, but if there was a chance

of Nick coming back next season trading Stuart it's absolutely worth considering. with Howie in goal we have the luxury to go with weaker defense.

on the other hand - at this point Wings seem to be pretty deep with prospects and they're more likely to be shipping picks/youngsters for star players

not the other way around. and I certainly don't see them trading quality players with Sharks. maybe with Kings but that's still tough call. then I don't see

Ducks having decent D to trade for prospects. Beauchemin is OK, but it'd take something extra to trade Stuart for him... and since they're not a playoff

team right now, it's tough to imagine them being prone to milking at trade deadline ;)

Back at the deadline in 2008, when the team acquired Stuart, I was one on here complaining about him being on the team. I could just see from his body language, that he didn't seem to excited about being in Detroit. The after party photos of the Cup celebrations that showed him, he was often by himself, and wasn't jumping around laughing/drunk and so on. I wasn't happy when the team signed him more long term.

But during the following season, I picked up on his more quiet natured personality. He is kind of a hard guy to read. But he has won that Cup, been on successful teams, and has gotten paid handsomely now for a few good contracts. Keep socking away that money Stuey! I am not mad at you. I just hope we can get something in return.

Tell you what Dan Boyle for Stuey and Erricson right now! Come on....

I wouldn't mind trading Stuart for a top 6 forward. Without him we have:

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Ericsson

Kindl-Commodore/Smith

I know most people would disagree with Ericsson being in the top 4, but he's certainly being paid like one so maybe thats what the wings believe his future will be.

If Anaheim still wants to move Bobby Ryan, I would give up Stuart and some combination of picks/prospects.