• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Ideally Stuart stays for a cup run. If he then decides to leave it'd be great to trade his rights for a mid range pick. The only problem with that is, in my eyes, the only (California) team that would really like to get him (based on roster needs etc) would be the Ducks. For the Wings to be able to trade his rights there would need to be desire from at least two of those teams. Personally, i don't see that as a likely scenario. Especially since there are some good UFA d-men this summer I doubt ANH/LA/SJ trade anything for his rights when they can try and get what they'd want for free on the UFA market.

What about the Kings? Still California. I'm sure the wife might consider a move as long as it's still California.

#22 LidsFan

LidsFan

Defensemen Rule

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

It seems that Stuart likes playing with Detroit and I will be sad when he leaves. I just wish his family would consider moving to MI. I always find it odd when when families won't move to where a player has to play. You would think that they would want to be where their husband and father is and not clear across the country from them.

Edited by LidsFan, 16 January 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#23 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

It seems that Stuart likes playing with Detroit and I will be sad when he leaves. I just wish his family would consider moving to MI. I always find it odd when when families won't move to where a player has to play. You would think that they would want to be where their husband and father is and not clear across the country from them.

He has a step-daughter who would be pulled away from her dad if the family moved. I thought they had moved here with him, but I guess I was wrong. At first, them staying in Cali was so she could be with both of her parents, but now that Stuie's son is getting older, I can see Stuie wanting to be with him.

I will miss him, and I hope they let him finish out the season here (barring a totally insane gotta-do trade), but if he wants to go, there really isn't anything stopping him.

I do think whoever said "trade his rights for a mid-round pick" had the best idea so far. Where ever he ends up, I wish him well. He was a good pick up for us, and has served us well.

#24 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Stuart for Murray? Maybe a low pick in there, don't know for who. Maybe swap different round picks, conditional on Stuart re-signing? Don't know if The Sharks bite (pun intended) but, it would be a fairly equal trade. Stu has more offense upside, if you can say that about Stuart. Murray is a rock solid stay at home guy who can clear the crease, and is a pretty good hitter and shot blocker.

Don't really think they would go for it, but if Kenny makes them an offer they can't refuse...

#25 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'd take on Beauchemin as a comparable replacement, the guy plays physical, blocks a ton of shots and is a very underrated defensemen. I wouldn't necessarily prefer him over Stuart but I think if the situation required a deal to be made, this guy would be a good replacement. Unrealistically Visnovsky would be a better option :thumbup:

Edited by BlazeYoungblood, 16 January 2012 - 06:09 PM.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,954 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Stuart for Murray? Maybe a low pick in there, don't know for who. Maybe swap different round picks, conditional on Stuart re-signing? Don't know if The Sharks bite (pun intended) but, it would be a fairly equal trade. Stu has more offense upside, if you can say that about Stuart. Murray is a rock solid stay at home guy who can clear the crease, and is a pretty good hitter and shot blocker.

Don't really think they would go for it, but if Kenny makes them an offer they can't refuse...

In our dreams.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#27 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

I like stuart. I would only take burns for him. Otherwise I want him to stay here

#28 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,646 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

delete

Edited by Hockeymom1960, 16 January 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#29 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

I don't believe Stuart will resign with Detroit next year because his family lives in California. Francois Beauchemin, Vlassic, Douglas Murray or Jack Johnson would be targets for the Wings. Rumors are LA would be willing to trade Jack Johnson but the Wings would probably have to trade Smith and Stuart to get him.
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#30 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Unfortunately trading Stuart doesn't help us imo. I don't see us getting much in return by trading him unless other pieces from us are sent. Looking like a no win for situation for us in the end. He'll probably sign with a west coast team next year and honestly I don't blame him. He's a good stay at home guy. I liked him better when he would drop the gloves every now and then but oh well. Still a good defenseman but replaceable.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 16 January 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#31 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:50 AM

just go BIG,With the Ducks almost 100% out of the playoffs get a deal done for Ryan, Stuart will be out in California which seems like he wants to be back out there and the Ducks get much needed help on D

TO ANA- Stuart,Hudler,1st or 2nd round pick, and a prospect

To DET- Ryan and Brookbank

or something like that....

#32 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

Bryan Allen as Stuy's replacement?, im sure he's out of contract end of this year. Same type of player as Stu a year younger, bigger and $1m cheaper at present.He is also a former high pick like Stu, and should bring in the
same sort of vet leadership we'd lose if Stuy does go. I hope he stays.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#33 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

What about the Kings? Still California. I'm sure the wife might consider a move as long as it's still California.

Who is this lady Yoko Ono?

Edit: I dont feel like talking about Stuart leaving yet. Ive always liked him and feel like he's turning his back on us a little bit. It's not a trade or anything, he just doesnt want to play here.

Edited by 13dangledangle, 17 January 2012 - 09:55 AM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#34 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

I don't think the Wings are in a position to move a top 4 defender, whether he's leaving or not. The teams looking for a pending UFA, veteran defender are teams who are going to be in the post-season. We'd essentially be giving the competition a boost. The game is so tight now that even the smallest bounce could make or break a playoff series. What if that "bounce" is Stuart scooping the puck off the goal line.

Even if we do lose Stuart for "nothing" in the off-season, we gained a solid defender for 5 years for a 2nd and a 4th. Smith is going to step onto the team next season, and who knows who we might pluck off free agency. The safest bet here is that the team is going to keep Stuart for a run at the cup. At most, I think that maybe they can sell his rights for a low-end draft pick before July 1st.

#35 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 683 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

Who is this lady Yoko Ono?

Edit: I dont feel like talking about Stuart leaving yet. Ive always liked him and feel like he's turning his back on us a little bit. It's not a trade or anything, he just doesnt want to play here.

IF the rumors are true about him wanting to head back to California, I think yours is an unfair indictment of Stuart. From everything we've heard and read, leaving Detroit for CA would in no way be a reflection of his feelings about Detroit as a city, a team or an organization. In fact, I'd be surprised if he has anything but positive thoughts about his time here. He won the Cup, boosted his level of play and all in all busted his ass for us.

Stuart wanting to be near his family, and most likely doing it at the expense of playing for a contender (this assumes Holland does everything in his power to keep him out of SJ) shows character to me, honestly. Family should always come first, and he's definitely already done his share of the bringing-home-the-bacon part of that job description while in Detroit. He's paid his NHL dues, and apparently wants to finish the second half of his career near his loved ones. I don't know about anyone else, but there is no way I'd trade being able to spend months and months per year with my daughter out of loyalty to any employer.

In short, I'll miss him (he's one of my favorites on the team), but not only do I understand why he'd move on, a part of me actually applauds it.
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#36 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,954 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

Unfortunately trading Stuart doesn't help us imo. I don't see us getting much in return by trading him unless other pieces from us are sent. Looking like a no win for situation for us in the end. He'll probably sign with a west coast team next year and honestly I don't blame him. He's a good stay at home guy. I liked him better when he would drop the gloves every now and then but oh well. Still a good defenseman but replaceable.

So much so that he wants to play near his family.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#37 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

If we DID trade Stuart, and say, got a forward in return... who would replace him on defense? Just go with Commie/Kindl? Or do we bring Smith up?

While I understand the situation, our defense is finally playing really well for the first time in a few seasons, do we want to risk messing that up?

Smith for sure. Commodore is the 7th dman. Smith is the only replacement for Stuart that may have an upside. Trade Stuart for a fwd that SHOOTS! franzen and Z shoot a lot, but not all shots are of a high quality. as for Stuart being replaced by smith...smith is seemingly just as tough and he's got better offensive potential. can't wait to see him on the wings full time, unfortunately at the possible expense of stuart and a possible departure of lids in the offseason even though the world thinks he can play 5 more seasons...

just thought of this... WHEN anaheim misses the playoffs and knows it by the deadline, the wings could trade stuart for selanne. smith comes up and plays in place of stuart and selanne goes on the second line with Z and flip.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#38 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

Smith for sure. Commodore is the 7th dman. Smith is the only replacement for Stuart that may have an upside. Trade Stuart for a fwd that SHOOTS! franzen and Z shoot a lot, but not all shots are of a high quality. as for Stuart being replaced by smith...smith is seemingly just as tough and he's got better offensive potential. can't wait to see him on the wings full time, unfortunately at the possible expense of stuart and a possible departure of lids in the offseason even though the world thinks he can play 5 more seasons...

just thought of this... WHEN anaheim misses the playoffs and knows it by the deadline, the wings could trade stuart for selanne. smith comes up and plays in place of stuart and selanne goes on the second line with Z and flip.

I don't feel comfortable trading our 2nd best defensive D-man with a Stanley Cup win and six or seven post seasons under his belt and replacing him with a rookie even if it got us Selanne.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#39 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 683 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

Not trying to be snarky, but I see a couple problems with this idea:

1) Selanne isn't going anywhere. He'll retire a Duck.
2) Why would we risk our playoffs by putting a rookie in place of our best stay at home guy? Selanne would definitely add some scoring punch, but wouldn't the replacement of Stuart with an unproven prospect more than offset that benefit?
3) The only way this works, assuming Selanne agreed to it, is if he's set on retiring after this season. So what have we netted unless he single handedly brings us the cup?

Edited by Uncle Danny, 17 January 2012 - 01:44 PM.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#40 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

when a player openly comes out and says there looking at returning to there home state via free agentcy...this was a door opener for management to move him earlier.

Edited by Hey man nice shot!, 17 January 2012 - 01:46 PM.