#21 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,599 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#22 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

Well, he did keep asking Corey Potter if he was related to Harry Potter. :rolleyes: And in turn, he ends up with the HP scar.

In all seriousness, hope he does okay and it heals well for him.

#23 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

This story even made it TMZ today.
From Sportsnet:

“I asked him if he was still good looking and he said, ‘Mom, I look like Frankenstein.’ Maybe it will send a message to everyone about how important it is to wear a helmet,” Taylor Hall’s mother, Kim Strba, told the Edmonton Journal. “Maybe it will be a wake-up call. Unfortunately, Taylor is going to be the one remembered for bringing about the change.”

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#24 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

From TSN:

Taylor Hall, who was cut for 30 stitches in his head on Tuesday, returns to the lineup tonight as the Edmonton Oilers host the Calgary Flames. Hall, who is tied for second on the Oilers with 15 goals, suffered a deep gash when he fell to the ice and was accidentally stepped on by teammate Corey Potter.

"I'm going to play tonight; I feel good," said Hall on the Oilers' twitter feed today. "It doesn't hurt. My eye is swollen but I can see."

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#25 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Scary to think, it took about 30 or so stitches for Hall.....back when Borje Salming got stepped on, he required about 250 stitches.

#26 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

Mandate cages. All injuries lessen.

I just don't want the league to make it mandatory to put a helmet on the second you step on the ice for warm-ups. That would be a little ridiculous, in my opinion

If hockey was invented tomorrow, everyone would wear face cages, all of the time. The historical macho BS that affects the game causes easily preventable injuries like this to occur. I tell you one thing, I bet he never goes out for warm up without his helmet again. Just like Lidstrom, Draper, Yzerman and co never went without a visor after their injuries.....
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#27 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

If hockey was invented tomorrow, everyone would wear face cages, all of the time. The historical macho BS that affects the game causes easily preventable injuries like this to occur. I tell you one thing, I bet he never goes out for warm up without his helmet again. Just like Lidstrom, Draper, Yzerman and co never went without a visor after their injuries.....

It should be a player's choice to wear one or not. Hall knew the risk he was taking by warming up without one on. Every player that doesn't wear a visor knows there is a small chance he could get clipped, etc. It's the risk you take. Let the players make up their own minds, even if their decision is not popular.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#28 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

Other than a difference in minor facial injuries, what evidence do you have that cages are safer than visors?

#29 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,599 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

Looks like the Oilers aren't getting any help tonight against the Flames.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#30 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:03 AM

It should be a player's choice to wear one or not. Hall knew the risk he was taking by warming up without one on. Every player that doesn't wear a visor knows there is a small chance he could get clipped, etc. It's the risk you take. Let the players make up their own minds, even if their decision is not popular.

Should it be a drivers choice whether or not to wear a seatbelt? Sometimes people need to be protected from themeselves.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#31 Datsyuk4Life

Datsyuk4Life

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

Ice is slippery.

#32 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

If the players choose to pay for their own inflated insurance premiums because they don't wear one...fine, maybe, but there are several other factors to consider beyond their own safety and that they are men, they can decide that for themselves.

Others might make the role model argument, but I'm not a huge fan of that....although, when your entire living is made off of people paying to see you peform....maybe there is some importance to that.