2008 - Buffalo vs Pittsburgh

2009 - Chicago vs Detroit

2010 - Philadelphia vs Boston

I was off by a year.

My point is, after next year:

- Detroit: Twice

- Pittsburgh: Twice

- Philadelphia: Twice

After the next WC, the last three will have had recycled teams.

In six years of the WC, three teams have been in it twice already. That's a little ridiculous.

Granted, I understand why...ratings. It's just getting old.

After the next WC, the last three will have had recycled teams.

In six years of the WC, three teams have been in it twice already. That's a little ridiculous.

Granted, I understand why...ratings. It's just getting old.

The problem is, once they started letting teams in a second time, then they had to start letting the rest of the teams in a second time. Thus, we get in again.

False....maybe do they research before you post something this dumb.

I was off by a year in my first comment, sue me. That doesn't change my point. After next year, there will have been recycled teams 3 years in a row in only six total years of the WC.

Thanks for the attack btw.

Surely you understand why other fans would be annoyed by this? If not, I don't know what else to say.

Don't count your chickens buddy.

I'm not your buddy, friend.

Your team has been WAY better than this and didn't even get a sniff of the SCF, due mostly by the Detroit Red Wings, which explains your utter hatred for everything Red & White. Which is blatantly obvious by everything you post. And BTW, if the Blues had a decent enough following outside of St. Louis, there wouldn't be talks of Western Conference treason if the Wings headed East. They are the money maker in the West...that is why they are in the Classic...again. Odds are, they will be there a third time before St. Louis gets in once.

The Blues are on pace for 109 pts...which would be their 2nd best finish in team history behind the 114 pt. President's trophy team in '99-'00...and a better finish than the Conference Finals team of '00-'01. Offensively, yes, there have been far better Blues teams...but overall, few have been better...so far. There is a lot of hockey left to play yet though. I'm not banking on anything yet...too much can happen.

Something tells me that if it were the Blues in it twice in four years, we wouldn't be reading your rants.

Well isn't that the obvious statement of the day. :lol:

I doubt I'd complain. But I would completely understand if other fans did. From a fan's point of view, the NHL shouldn't recycle teams so quickly.

Or if they have actually won anything....ever.

Not sure what that has to do with anything... But wait...oh yeah...I forgot where I was posting for a moment.

Ya, if they are playing in Detroit/Boston/New York/Chicago etc...

These blues fans make me laugh, they have so much jealousy and hatred for anything Detroit that everything they try to say objectively comes off smelling like rotten tomatoes or sour grapes. It's pretty nauseating.

Woah...hold on... "anything Detroit"??

Hmmm...

Why don't you put together a list for me? Seriously.

I assume there are a few good places to eat?

I guess the Lions were fun to watch this year.

And hey, you can see Canada. What else ya got?

Look this isn't about the Wings and it's not about Blues fans, so don't make it out to be that. It's about the last 2 years of the WC and next year's WC all having recycled teams when the WC has only been around for 6 years after next year. I'm not saying anything that a LOT of other fans aren't already thinking.

But hey, congrats on being in the WC again. Must be nice.

Nobody around here liked the fact that the pens and flyers were in it twice either, but you're not going to hear much complaining that the Wings are in a WC again, especially after both PA teams have already done so. We're just following suit. You're point has been made, but to be honest, not many people care about the Blues or if they ever participate in a WC so you're efforts are futile.

Nobody around here liked the fact that the pens and flyers were in it twice either, but you're not going to hear much complaining that the Wings are in a WC again, especially after both PA teams have already done so. We're just following suit. You're point has been made, but to be honest, not many people care about the Blues or if they ever participate in a WC so you're efforts are futile.

Oh yeah? Cite your source please.

Thanks.

If it's about ratings/money and prestige history/performance of teams, then unfortunately, it looks like the NHL will have to include the same teams over and over.

It should be about including different teams and expanding the event and interest level in the league/hockey in general to other areas of the country, especially where the local audience, facilities, and weather can hold it.

I guess at this point though, sadly, the league is doing to right thing - it's kind of what they have to do to promote themselves.

Sergei would be great. And something tells me Gordie just won't allow himself to not suit up.

Sadly, I doubt any of the Russian 5, outside of maybe Larionov, would make the trip. Kozlov has been gone a long, long time. Fedorov is on the other side of the globe, as is Papa Bear. I would love to see the Prof lace them up again for us, though. I'd bet they dress Valddy, although he obviously can't actually play.

I'd think Chelios is a no brainer, and probably Kocur. It might be too soon for Mac, Draper and Ozzie, but I wouldn't mind seeing any of them...nor Maltby. Maybe Gallant? Verbeek? For a no contact, low impact game, it would be awesome to see Fischer again, doctors permitting. Murphy is almost a no brainer to play.

Sad as it makes me, I think the previous poster was right about Shanny and Yzerman. It would be a small conflict of interest for either to play.

As for Gordie, I think you're right. I'd be he dresses and plays a ceremonial shift. Same for Mickey, although I wonder if he has the lungs for it.

All in all, though, I'd give my left pinky toe to see #19 out there one more time. Just don't think it'll happen, given his current position.

This just occurred to me, although I know it's a pipe dream... can you guys imagine seeing the Production Line reunited for a shift with Stevie centering? :siren:

EDIT: And the Russian 5 with Brownov (put Sergei back on D), and the original Grind Line and, and, and, and... sigh.

Edited by Uncle Danny

Price, this isn't about "what's fair for everybody else". This is a business an the entire goal is to make money.

If some teams who aren't as notable don't get into it, they need to focus on being a better franchise so the NHL can't afford not to put them in. In Toronto's case, they are the hockey mecha of the entire world and their only real crime was being based in Canada.

The Blues have JUST started to gain relevancy and they are a secondary rival to other teams in the central (they don't have the original six luster or recent Stanley Cup championships or years of playoff dominance to hang their hat on), so I'm not sure what you expect.

Not sure what that has to do with anything... But wait...oh yeah...I forgot where I was posting for a moment.

You don't like posting here, or reading on a...uh, last time I checked, A Detroit Red Wings Forum, then well, I don't need to show you where the door is. You can go to the only place in cyberworld bitching that the Blues aren't in the WC...I am sure you know the address...

Woah...hold on... "anything Detroit"??

Hmmm...

Why don't you put together a list for me? Seriously.

I assume there are a few good places to eat?

I guess the Lions were fun to watch this year.

And hey, you can see Canada. What else ya got?

So, first you ***** about all the Wings fans on a Wings forum (go figure) and now you wanna come in a bash our city? You aren't playing with a full deck of cards are you?

But hey, congrats on being in the WC again. Must be nice.

Yep, sure is! It will also be nice when we are in the SCF again, before the Blues. Keep holding on to your dream that this is you best Blues team ever. You'll be looking for a new starting goalie next season...mark those words down....BUDDY.

Oh, and hey look, I too can neg for no reason...

Guest irishock

Oh yeah? Cite your source please.

Thanks.

He's right guys. The Blues are a very good NHL team and will be a dominating force for years to come. St. Louis is a beautiful city that deserves to host winter classics and All-Star games. Detroit's style of play is old and they shouldn't be in the spotlight so much more than St. Louis, a very proud NHL franchise.

Basically cprice, besides your city, maybe some of your state and a few displaced former St. Louis residents, nobody in the world of hockey really cares about the Blues. Unfortunately for you and your city, the same cannot be said about the Red Wings. And like Doc said, that comes from consistency, history and star players making this franchise the best and most popular (behind Montreal) franchise in the NHL and perhaps the entire hockey world. We know you hate us cause we are evil (Damn that Yzerman, he is just so evil!) and even though you have probably never been to our city, have nothing but thoughts of death and slums and poverty when you think of Detroit. But you cannot fight was is fact. The Red Wings are what sells tickets in the NHL and when someone is looking to make money, they put on a Wings jersey, not a blues jersey. Nothing personal, just business...

He's right guys. The Blues are a very good NHL team and will be a dominating force for years to come. St. Louis is a beautiful city that deserves to host winter classics and All-Star games. Detroit's style of play is old and they shouldn't be in the spotlight so much more than St. Louis, a very proud NHL franchise.

Ya, I agree, can we change our name to Blues?

I imagine St. Louis winters being too unpredictable to host a WC. The average high in early January I'm assuming to be in the low 40s (or upper 30s as CPrice mentions), sort of pushing the boundary on the whole outdoor ice thing. There is a lot greater chance that it'll be a warm 55 degree winter day in St. Louis than places the game has already been held. The Winter Classic will always be played in places Philadelphia-northward. I expect Denver to get one sometime soon, Minnesota is a no brainer, and you'll certainly see the Rangers hosting one soon.

I guess the best a Blues fan can hope for is that they're invited to be the visiting team.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

So many players I'd love to see ceremonial shifts for.

Red Kelly, Ted Lindsay, Gordie Howe, Mickey Redmond...so many I'd love to see skating in Wings jerseys but I think they're simply too old.

EDIT: Didn't Mexico City host an outdoor hockey game a few years back? I think it'll only be a few years before they do this in the NHL. Once the Winter Classic gets stale, they're going to try it outdoors in a warm climate. Once the tech catches up.

Edited by VM1138

When it comes to hockey, I'm pretty superstitious. Check out this weird pattern:

2008 WC: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, Pittsburgh wins the cup the next year

2009 WC: Detroit at Chicago, Chicago wins the cup the next year

2010 WC: Philadelphia at Boston, Boston wins the cup the next year

2011 WC: Washington at Pittsburgh

this is probably the least likely year it will happen, but its an interesting pattern for sure

When it comes to hockey, I'm pretty superstitious. Check out this weird pattern:

2008 WC: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, Pittsburgh wins the cup the next year

2009 WC: Detroit at Chicago, Chicago wins the cup the next year

2010 WC: Philadelphia at Boston, Boston wins the cup the next year

2011 WC: Washington at Pittsburgh

this is probably the least likely year it will happen, but its an interesting pattern for sure

The Winter Classic winners from '08 - '10 also lost in the Stanley Cup Finals the years they won the WC.

Price, this isn't about "what's fair for everybody else". This is a business an the entire goal is to make money.

If some teams who aren't as notable don't get into it, they need to focus on being a better franchise so the NHL can't afford not to put them in. In Toronto's case, they are the hockey mecha of the entire world and their only real crime was being based in Canada.

The Blues have JUST started to gain relevancy and they are a secondary rival to other teams in the central (they don't have the original six luster or recent Stanley Cup championships or years of playoff dominance to hang their hat on), so I'm not sure what you expect.

I'm not upset the Blues aren't in it. I don't expect them to be, and I never said they should be.

Sure, I'd like them to be in it, but I understand why they aren't...but that isn't my point...never has been. I'm not sure why that keeps being brought up. The Blues may get in in the future if they continue to play well, make the playoffs and it would help to acquire a superstar to market. It's hard to market balanced scoring and a team game unless you are orginal six or have had recent success, even though they are fun to watch this year.

Anyway, my point is (for the fifth time) after next year, the NHL will have used recycled teams three times in a row in only the 6th year of the event.

I understand why they are doing it, I get it...that's not rocket surgery. But I don't have to like it, and it's perfectly understandable why fans of other teams wouldn't like it.

I like the Winter Classic, I'll watch it no matter who is in it...but it would be nice to see new teams in it every year.

Aside from the Blues being a good team right know, show me where I inferred anything close to what you are saying.

You don't like posting here, or reading on a...uh, last time I checked, A Detroit Red Wings Forum, then well, I don't need to show you where the door is. You can go to the only place in cyberworld bitching that the Blues aren't in the WC...I am sure you know the address...

So, first you ***** about all the Wings fans on a Wings forum (go figure) and now you wanna come in a bash our city? You aren't playing with a full deck of cards are you?

Yep, sure is! It will also be nice when we are in the SCF again, before the Blues. Keep holding on to your dream that this is you best Blues team ever. You'll be looking for a new starting goalie next season...mark those words down....BUDDY.

Oh, and hey look, I too can neg for no reason...

What??

First off, most of what you commented on was me joking around. You need to get a sense of humor.

Second, the rest of your comments don't even accurately reflect what I have said.

Congrats for completely misreading and misinterpreting my posts.

If anyone comes across an organized tour bus happening from Windsor/Detroit to Ann Arbor, please let everyone know and post it up here or in a new thread. I'm praying that something like that takes hold. Hell, I might even look into doing it myself.

I imagine St. Louis winters being too unpredictable to host a WC. The average high in early January I'm assuming to be in the low 40s (or upper 30s as CPrice mentions), sort of pushing the boundary on the whole outdoor ice thing. There is a lot greater chance that it'll be a warm 55 degree winter day in St. Louis than places the game has already been held. The Winter Classic will always be played in places Philadelphia-northward. I expect Denver to get one sometime soon, Minnesota is a no brainer, and you'll certainly see the Rangers hosting one soon.

I guess the best a Blues fan can hope for is that they're invited to be the visiting team.

If the average temp. in St. Louis is 39 degrees on Jan. 1st, how in the world can there be a better chance of it being 55 degrees?

That makes no sense.

Quite often it's cold and snowy on Jan. 1st in St. Louis.

And FYI, it was colder in St. Louis on Jan. 1st this year than it was in Philly for the WC this year. So there's that.

And like I said before, it can be quite warm and still be ok for outdoor ice. NHL ice doesn't melt at 33 degrees. It melts at a much higher temp., plus there's the refrigeration system that keeps it frozen.

The NHL once played an outdoor game at night in Las Vegas in the preseason, so they can almost much have it anywhere they want without concern for the ice. The sun is actually a greater concern for melting the ice than the temp is.

Now, pay attention folks, just to make myself perfectly clear... this is NOT me lobbying and saying the NHL SHOULD have the WC in St. Louis (like some of you will take from this), I'm just saying they easily could if they wanted to without concern for the ice or anything like that.

You'll be looking for a new starting goalie next season...mark those words down....BUDDY.

I'd love to hear why you think this is the case.

Right now, the Blues have the best goaltending in the NHL (a team 1.91 GAA) and essentially have two #1's. Enlighten me as to why you think they will all of a sudden need a new #1 to start next season.

Ok, and I also send a tweet to Alyonka Larionov and asked if she thinks the Professor would play in the alumni game:

@AlyonkaLarionov If the Winter Classic takes place in Michigan in 2013, what are the odds your father take part? #originalquestion

@ShaunSolo for the alumni game? If he's asked I'm sure he'll participate :)

She KNOWS me now. Swoooooon. :lol: