• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium Finalized

Rate this topic

If the average temp. in St. Louis is 39 degrees on Jan. 1st, how in the world can there be a better chance of it being 55 degrees?

That makes no sense.

St Louis, Weather

The game was played on January 2nd. The temperature in St. Louis that day? 55.9 degrees Fahrenheit.

January 1, 2011? 64 degrees.

January 1, 2010. 37 degrees.

January 1, 2009. 43 degrees.

January 1, 2008. 35 degrees.

In Detroit, the temp was above 35 only once in those years.

As you've said, they have the ability to keep ice frozen above freezing temperatures, but it doesn't really feel like the Winter Classic if it's 50 degrees out.

And since you've stated you're not lobbying to get the game at St. Louis, I'll leave it alone.

Anyway, my point is (for the fifth time) after next year, the NHL will have used recycled teams three times in a row in only the 6th year of the event.

I like the Winter Classic, I'll watch it no matter who is in it...but it would be nice to see new teams in it every year.

There's talk out there about doing this every second year now, for the point you brought up. Soon teams will be in it for a 3rd time. They're running out of markets to have it in.

I've been saying the last few years that the outdoor game should be the All-Star Game. That was you can expand and use Canadian cities too, which will cut down on their moaning and crying.

Edit: Despite saying that, any word on the street about when tickets go on sale for the Wings-Leafs game and average price? My cousin and I are interested in going.

Edited by Barrie

Edit: Despite saying that, any word on the street about when tickets go on sale for the Wings-Leafs game and average price? My cousin and I are interested in going.

It's not officially announced yet so I don't think there is any word on when they will go on sale.

I'd love to hear why you think this is the case.

Right now, the Blues have the best goaltending in the NHL (a team 1.91 GAA) and essentially have two #1's. Enlighten me as to why you think they will all of a sudden need a new #1 to start next season.

I can agree with that. As far as I know, Halak is still under contract next season and Elliott just re-signed for two years. They're playing great hockey.

This is a Winter Classic thread; let's please get back to discussing that.

Fans of non-Original Six teams will never get what it means to be a part of that. I can't fault them for it, but neither should they fault us for feeling it's something special.

Few outside of baby boomers will understand the Detroit/Toronto rivalry. It was the game of the season for me growing up. Toronto is still a rivalry as far as my son is concerned, but he'll never understand the infinite depth of that heated contest. Leafs fans feel the same way. It's not relevant to many outside of these two older fan bases. That doesn't make it any less real or any less one of the best games of the season and a must-win. Fortunately for Detroit and Toronto, the fan base is big enough to keep this rivalry at the forefront of the league's mind for events such as these. Wings/Leafs will be a rivalry probably until my generation dies out or or the Leafs get good again, whichever comes first. :)

Outside of the Stanley Cup games, this is the game of a lifetime for me. Can't wait!

When it comes to hockey, I'm pretty superstitious. Check out this weird pattern:

2008 WC: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, Pittsburgh wins the cup the next year

2009 WC: Detroit at Chicago, Chicago wins the cup the next year

2010 WC: Philadelphia at Boston, Boston wins the cup the next year

2011 WC: Washington at Pittsburgh

this is probably the least likely year it will happen, but its an interesting pattern for sure

The Winter Classic winners from '08 - '10 also lost in the Stanley Cup Finals the years they won the WC.

I never count out Pittsburgh no matter what. If Crosby doesn't come back and Malkin falters then I'm sure some secret society will ensure they get into the playoffs. From then on out they can do some damage with their experience. Plus I can't count out Ovechkin. I just can't.

I didn't think my dear hubby could surprise me after 34 years, but damned if he didn't. He walked into the room the other day and said, "I've been looking online for ticket information and handicapped facilities at the Big House." My jaw hit the floor - this from a guy who has never been much of a hockey fan - and he's serious about this! My God, I may just get the chance of a lifetime!

This is why I stay married to the sweetheart. :wub:

Although I'm kind of disappointed that the game won't be hosted in Detroit, I'm excited that we get a Winter Classic. I will be going, money is no object!!! :)

I am very disappointed Detroit isn't hosting the Winter Classic.

Yet I understand 110,000 fans is hard to pass up. If any two fan bases can fill it up it'll be the Wings and the Leafs.

That matchup is hard to deny - great rivalry and great organizations.

As for sight lines, I've always thought the NHL could align an outdoor rink along one of the baselines. But I've heard few complaints, nationally, about any of the Winter Classics.

Anyway, within 30 minutes of the announcement I had my hotel reservations made. Had to pay for a deposit too. That's a telltale sign, but I asked any way. The receptionist said it was for New Years, hesitated then said it was for the Winter Classic too. So the stories that came out later that said it wasn't a done deal, yeah right.

St Louis, Weather

The game was played on January 2nd. The temperature in St. Louis that day? 55.9 degrees Fahrenheit.

January 1, 2011? 64 degrees.

January 1, 2010. 37 degrees.

January 1, 2009. 43 degrees.

January 1, 2008. 35 degrees.

In Detroit, the temp was above 35 only once in those years.

As you've said, they have the ability to keep ice frozen above freezing temperatures, but it doesn't really feel like the Winter Classic if it's 50 degrees out.

And since you've stated you're not lobbying to get the game at St. Louis, I'll leave it alone.

To play Devil's Advocate, Calgary has some of the most unreliable winter weather you can possibly experience. I was there over christmas and all December the temperature was about 10-12 degrees Celcius (The same thing happened during the 88 Olympics, actually). A few weeks ago it plummeted down to -30. They lucked out weather-wise for the Heritage Classic a few years ago but clearly the very plausible risk of chinook-induced warm weather on the ice surface was not significant enough for them to consider hosting it somewhere else. Precipitation seems to be a more detrimental element then just temperature - as the extremely poor ice quality on Heinz Field attests to. <br>

Edited by _Kabrok_

Looks like things are actually getting serious...

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan Board of Regents has called a special meeting to discuss renting Michigan Stadium to the NHL for the Winter Classic.

The meeting is scheduled for Wednesday morning. If the regents give their OK as expected, that would likely be one of the last hurdles to bringing the NHL's annual showcase to one of the most iconic venues in college sports.

Buffalo, Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have all hosted the Winter Classic, but the crowd for a game at Michigan Stadium would likely draw the league's largest crowd.

The Wolverines and rival Michigan State attracted a Guinness World Record 104,173 people for a hockey game on Dec. 11, 2010.

TSN Link

To play Devil's Advocate, Calgary has some of the most unreliable winter weather you can possibly experience. I was there over christmas and all December the temperature was about 10-12 degrees Celcius (The same thing happened during the 88 Olympics, actually). A few weeks ago it plummeted down to -30. They lucked out weather-wise for the Heritage Classic a few years ago but clearly the very plausible risk of chinook-induced warm weather on the ice surface was not significant enough for them to consider hosting it somewhere else. Precipitation seems to be a more detrimental element then just temperature - as the extremely poor ice quality on Heinz Field attests to. <br>

And it can snow in the middle of summer in Calgary.

Some info from Bob McKenzie via Twitter:

Winter Classic on Jan. 1, 2013, will be DET-TOR at Univ of Michigan (The Big House) but it's the only event being held there.

Outdoor rink at Comerica Park in downtown Detroit will be site of a weeklong Hockeytown Fan Fest, so to speak. Events there will include:

Two GLI NCAA college games, Marlies vs Griffins AHL game and OHL doubleheader with PLY vs LDN and SAG vs WDR, plus high school/youth games.

Marquee event for Comerica on Dec. 31 will be Legends/Alumni game between ex-Leafs and ex-Wings. Then it's off to Big House on Jan. 1.

NHL may need to clone icemaker Dan Craig. Biggest challenge will maintaining ice quality at Comerica with all that usage. Good luck, Dan-o.

Correction to earlier tweet: all 4 GLI college games, not just 2 of them, will be played outdoors at Comerica Park next December.