• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium Finalized

Rate this topic

Some info from Bob McKenzie via Twitter:

WOW!!!!

Outdoor rink at Comerica Park in downtown Detroit will be site of a weeklong Hockeytown Fan Fest, so to speak. Events there will include:

Two The GLI NCAA college games, Marlies vs Griffins AHL game and OHL doubleheader with PLY vs LDN and SAG vs WDR, plus high school/youth games.

Marquee event for Comerica on Dec. 31 will be Legends/Alumni game between ex-Leafs and ex-Wings.

This is freaking awesome!!! The Comerica events are much much better than I expected! I wonder if the high school games will also keep the Michigan vs. Ontario theme?? :D

Not *entirely* sure if this is worth its own thread (mods can move if they like), but the Wings media let this slip before the official announcement at 10:30:

http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=-6&id=156115

Game on! :D

Sick video! Really excited about this and I might have to empty my savings account to make the trip up there!

I'd just like to take a second to thank Mike Ilitch. He doesn't take over the Wings, chances are we wouldn't be here right now. There's no way to articulate the huge change he made in the future of the Wings and the city of Detroit. WTG, Mr. Ilitch!

I'd say hes done more for the city of detroit than any politition, mayor, etc. or anyone for that matter. He truly believes in this city.

So many players I'd love to see ceremonial shifts for.

Red Kelly, Ted Lindsay, Gordie Howe, Mickey Redmond...so many I'd love to see skating in Wings jerseys but I think they're simply too old.

EDIT: Didn't Mexico City host an outdoor hockey game a few years back? I think it'll only be a few years before they do this in the NHL. Once the Winter Classic gets stale, they're going to try it outdoors in a warm climate. Once the tech catches up.

Las Vegas hosted an NHL preseason game with the rangers playing the kings. The ice actually held up really well. The main problem for that game was grasshoppers jumping all over the ice.

This means no NYE game. Not complaining, it just means the tradition is interrupted.

Been broken before. There was no New Years Eve game the last time. The home and home games against Chicago...I was at both, I remember well since I was working on getting tickets to the Wrigley game the night before.