• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium Finalized

Rate this topic

Great news that it's finally going to be a rivalry that people will want to watch, and great news that it's at the 'Big House'. Think it fits better than Comerica to watch hockey.

Having said that, although I'm damn happy about it and I'm so glad they've finally put a Canadian team in there, why not choose two new teams seriously? Minnisota hosting Dallas would be great to watch in the snow. Or Phoenix travelling to Winnipeg :P (although more for nostalgia rather than two good hockey markets).

Obviously you guys are excited, and you should be.

But speaking as a fan of another team, it's pretty irritating that the NHL keeps putting the same damn teams in the Winter Classic every couple years. I'm sure you'd feel the same way if Detroit hadn't been in it yet and three other teams had been in it twice already in 5 years.

Obviously Wings and Leafs fans are happy, but I'm not so sure about most other fans. I hear a lot of grumbling about recycled teams and how people are losing interest because of that (maybe just talk...I'm sure they'd still watch it).

Yes, the original six match up is cool, it's an old rivalry between Toronto and Detroit, I get it...but the NHL needs to get some new teams in there.

You know Chicago will get it again in a year or two (hopefully against St. Louis, in St. Louis)...and surely if Crosby ever comes back, Pittsburgh will get it again in a 2-3 years. So I fully expect the trend of recycling teams to continue. I just hope the Blues get in before the NHL decides to scrap the Winter Classic due to falling ratings or the novelty wearing off, or whatever.

Great news that it's finally going to be a rivalry that people will want to watch, and great news that it's at the 'Big House'. Think it fits better than Comerica to watch hockey.

Having said that, although I'm damn happy about it and I'm so glad they've finally put a Canadian team in there, why not choose two new teams seriously? Minnisota hosting Dallas would be great to watch in the snow. Or Phoenix travelling to Winnipeg :P (although more for nostalgia rather than two good hockey markets).

People keep talking about Minnesota-Dallas. I get that there's a storyline behind that, but neither team has much of a following and would be a ratings disaster.

To appease Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch, a rink will be constructed at Comerica Park. The home of the Detroit Tigers will host other events leading up to the Winter Classic, including the alumni game and possibly the Great Lakes Invitational.

Cool. I would have preferred San Jose, but I guess you can't argue against the Original 6 match up. Let's just hope we have a more wintery winter here in MI next year though.

Edited by Z and D for the C

But speaking as a fan of another team, it's pretty irritating that the NHL keeps putting the same damn teams in the Winter Classic every couple years. I'm sure you'd feel the same way if Detroit hadn't been in it yet and three other teams had been in it twice already in 5 years.

Obviously Wings and Leafs fans are happy, but I'm not so sure about most other fans. I hear a lot of grumbling about recycled teams and how people are losing interest because of that (maybe just talk...I'm sure they'd still watch it).

Yes, the original six match up is cool, it's an old rivalry between Toronto and Detroit, I get it...but the NHL needs to get some new teams in there.

You know Chicago will get it again in a year or two (hopefully against St. Louis, in St. Louis)...and surely if Crosby ever comes back, Pittsburgh will get it again in a 2-3 years. So I fully expect the trend of recycling teams to continue. I just hope the Blues get in before the NHL decides to scrap the Winter Classic due to falling ratings or the novelty wearing off, or whatever.

:rolleyes:

I'd rather look at it this way: Like it or not, from your perspective as a Blues fan, The Red Wings are the undisputed class of the NHL in organizational structure, ownership, winning, the generation of TV ratings, merch sales and on and on. They should have hosted the first Winter Classic and it's about time they had one. For once, the game is celebarting the success of two mega-franchises rather then trying to push an agenda of marketing "star" players or pandering to east coast NBC markets.

Add to that the fact that Toronto is a very deserving opponent. Viola!!!! Party time.

Edited by rick zombo

I hear what you're saying. I actually didn't expect the Wings to get in it again so soon. I'm incredibly excited about it, a lot because of 24/7 (just as long as they keep doing it) and also the venue and matchup. It just has the makings of being the best Classic yet (which previously in my biased opionion was the Wings-Hawks one). But I understand if fans of teams that haven't been in one Classic yet feel cheated when other teams get their 2nd. You gotta understand the NHL to some extent though, no one wants a Phoenix-Columbus Winter Classic, and it's hard to make an outdoor rink in Florida or California. Atleast they're getting a Canadian team in there next year, that's a step in the right direction.

I'm sure St. Louis is one of the teams that have a good chance of getting in on the action in the next few years. Minnesota and Colorado would be two other teams. What speaks against you guys is the lack of a big-name player, a superstar, that can be marketed.

I hear what you're saying. I actually didn't expect the Wings to get in it again so soon. I'm incredibly excited about it, a lot because of 24/7 (just as long as they keep doing it) and also the venue and matchup. It just has the makings of being the best Classic yet (which previously in my biased opionion was the Wings-Hawks one). But I understand if fans of teams that haven't been in one Classic yet feel cheated when other teams get their 2nd. You gotta understand the NHL to some extent though, no one wants a Phoenix-Columbus Winter Classic, and it's hard to make an outdoor rink in Florida or California. Atleast they're getting a Canadian team in there next year, that's a step in the right direction.

I'm sure St. Louis is one of the teams that have a good chance of getting in on the action in the next few years. Minnesota and Colorado would be two other teams. What speaks against you guys is the lack of a big-name player, a superstar, that can be marketed.

OR an exciting brand of hockey OR more than a few months of success in recent years. :D

Edited by rick zombo

Obviously eastern american teams are situated in the major (hockey) markets. But I agree that it would be cool to get other teams involved. The way I see it is next year's WC could be that stepping stone as prior to this announcement NBC didn't even want a Canadian team involved. I think that if next year's is a success you'll see marquee matchups involving teams that have rivalries and some history. You can bet you'll see a Mtl vs. Bos.

Personally I would like a Stl. vs. Det one year.

Even though I live only 45 minutes from the Big House, I checked on hotels in the area - they are booking up already. If anyone wants to stay in the Ann Arbor area, I highly recommend you reserve a room now.

Here's a link for the hotels closest to Michigan Stadium.

I have family about 5-10 mins away=) SO I'm good.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Ratings aren't really the main draw of the game so much as the amount of merchandising and corporate sponsorship money that comes with it.

It is going to be a fairly large draw no matter how long it goes on. It is a one time a year game either way you slice it.

Also, I would have preferred the Blues as a matchup, but once they decided it would be at the Big House, that was over. No team other than the UM football team is going to play on that field wearing the blue and yellow (maize and blue), let alone as an away team.

Edited by Doc Holliday

I don't necessarily disagree with everything you're saying. And I know for a fact that there are a lot of fans that feel the same way you do. But at the same time, the NHL hands are tied with regards to a few aspects. Obviously, the most glaring aspect is the climate. And in retrospect, when Pittsburgh was a major stretch/logistic nightmare to host a game, you'd have to wonder if a St. Louis or a Washington market will host a game anytime soon. That significantly reduces the amount of teams that can host an event.

You mention TV ratings. So far, the decline hasn't been a major factor. I haven't seen what they were for Philly-NYR, but from what I understand they were right on par with the last few games. But if you're an exec, do you really want to put a game like Minnesota vs. Edmonton as your marquee matchup?

Again, I understand what you're saying, and I understand your frustration. But at the same time, I don't think this is something easily fixable