Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

1/19 GDT : Red Wings 3 at Coyotes 2 (SO)

• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#341 zztop40

zztop40

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

Just got home from the game. What a sick move by Bertuzzi. Pavel is amazing in person, as was Howard! Great game. The arena was near full, due to the obscene amount of Wings fan.

What!! you only live a block away? how in the heck did you get home so quick? Would take me 4 1/2 hours to get home from
a RW's game.

#342 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

Yeah, he didn't elevate it as high as he normally does. Smith stayed in the goal well enough too. Usually the goalies tend to over commit and it leaves more of an opening.

Agreed. At full speed it was hard to pick up, but Smith actually looked like me may have anticipated that move, he went into the butterfly and started to lean forward, but when he saw the toe drag he was still in a good enough position to react and push across the crease, barely got his glove up in time. I think that is Pavel shoots it sooner, he still would have beat him.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#343 Namingway

Namingway

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

Agreed. At full speed it was hard to pick up, but Smith actually looked like me may have anticipated that move, he went into the butterfly and started to lean forward, but when he saw the toe drag he was still in a good enough position to react and push across the crease, barely got his glove up in time. I think that is Pavel shoots it sooner, he still would have beat him.

Ah yeah, I'm pretty sure Smith was also bracing for something crazy, seeing how he did get embarrassed pretty bad in the last shootout. Pavel maybe does that move once a season at the most, I feel robbed to not have seen that one going in. Here's to Pavel giving it another shot at least one more time this season :thumbup:

#344 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

i feel bad for pavel. i hope this makes him come up with a new sick breakaway move.

Yeah we've seen them score on some solid moves. Nothing we haven't seen before though. It'd be nice if one of them would come up with a new move but they have bigger fish to fry.

Pav's go to move is where he fakes hard to backhand and either shovels it in or quickly brings it back to the forehand. Sometimes he just flat out shoots it. If the moment is right, he'll try the move he did tonight. The Turco-Vokoun-Harding toe drag. He's also pulled off the Linus Omark.

Hudler likes to shoot sometimes. Other than that we've only seen him do a fake to the forehand and then finish with the backhand and he's pretty solid with that move.

Bert likes to go wide a lot. He can then pull off the spin o rama like he did tonight or just shoot it wherever he sees a hole. I like the one where he goes in REALLY, really slow and then stickhandles a storm at the crease.

Zetterberg's main move is where he fakes the forehand and then finishes with the backhand. He's only pulled off the Nilsson-Forsberg move twice when it counts. Other than that he's scored some pretty awkward shootout goals.

I think the newest move (as in, the move that's the newest to Wings fans) is the one where Bert goes in really slow. I hope one of them comes up with something fancy but like I said, they got bigger fish to fry.

#345 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

On Smith's save on Pasha's try:

Smith didn't bite as hard as Turdco or Vokoun. Plus Smith is a big, lanky, long-reach guy. Size had a lot to do with it too, and you can't coach size.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#346 SetecX

SetecX

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:30 AM

Was Doan getting booed at home on his attempt?

#347 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:30 AM

At least for tonight, Detroit is alone at the top of the NHL standings.

Any win is a good win.

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#348 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

Posted Image

NHL.com Photo Gallery

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#349 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,360 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:47 AM

Tyson Nash after Smith stopped Datsyuk - "Suck on that!"

No, really.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#350 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:47 AM

Highly doubt that. There were probably a majority of Wings fans there than Yotes fans. You could clearly here the LGRW chant in the 3rd.

#351 Namingway

Namingway

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:57 AM

No, really.

Lol I heard that too on a highlight vid. I was thinking "wait... did he really say that?"

#352 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

No, really.

A little unprofessional but understandable. As soon as I saw Pav do the toe drag I thought Smith was done. He wasn't. He made a ridiculous and spectacular save. If it was my job to do homer commentary for the Yotes I definitely would've been tempted to say something like that.

#353 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:28 AM

It almost sad to see Datsyuk miss on that move, it is one of those legendary moves. Makes it ok though because of how awesome Smith had to be to stop it. Bertuzzi is on fire lately, hope that continues.

#354 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

well it sucked to see the PP do so awful live, at least when its on tv you think maybe something in the background is messing it up :P that was my second shootout in phoenix and we've won both. it was pretty nerve-wracking, especially the 4 on 3 towards the end of OT. the place absolutely exploded when bert got the spin o rama, and overall a great win, especially for my dads birthday. jimmy was outstanding too, and even got a chant going in the arena.

no it was all the wings fans booing/laughing at him
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#355 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

One-five-zero-six-seven.
Bettman must be beaming today. Take a bow.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#356 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

Holy Mike Smith, he was pumped up after that save boy I think he through the puck to center ice...Great job by Bert and Howie get's another win! I really do think Dats will have a new move soon as well and I for one cant wait :siren:
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#357 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

That's what I thought!!!! Except when PHX plays at home against us, it's more of our fans there regardless.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#358 PrairieDawg

PrairieDawg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Smith should have been pumped he saved that shot, it was an amazing move and save. Hell everytime I see Datsyuk in the shootout he always gets the goalie in a bad position and then he either scores or misses.

#359 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Smith should have been pumped he saved that shot, it was an amazing move and save. Hell everytime I see Datsyuk in the shootout he always gets the goalie in a bad position and then he either scores or misses.

Agreed.

Datsyuk got him doing the Luongo belly flop, but he bailed himself out by keeping the glove up and open.

#360 Red Wing

Red Wing

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

bertuzzi's playing great hockey. it's nice to see the wings on top of the west again!