Jackson - CF

Boesch - RF

Cabrera - 3B/DH

Fielder - 1B

Young - LF/DH

Avila - C

Peralta - SS

Santiago - 2B

Looks like you pretty much nailed it judging from Leyland's comments at the Fielder PC today. Sounds like the plan is to play Cabrera every day at third this season, provided he's in the right physical condition come Spring Training. I don't mind this too much -- Cabrera is going to have to play third with Martinez back in a year. It might be ugly, but I could see it turning out better than expected. Cabrera works incredibly hard and it's not like he doesn't have any experience at the position.

It appears left field may now be the most contested spot. Leyland mentioned Dirks/Kelly/Thomas today implying Young is likely going to DH most days. I like Dirks quite a bit. Decent with the bat, solid defense and a little bit of speed. The outfield may be pretty busy with all of the balls getting through the infield. Interesting Leyland also used Raburn today at second base and not Santiago batting 9th. Obviously this can all change, but it kind of clears up Leyland's initial plans surrounding the positional questions.

Edited by GoWings1905

200px-Brad_Penny_2011.jpg

Sayonara.

I'm somewhere between, "that's fine" and "good riddance" on my emotional scale. He was - just barely - a good enough 5th starter but lost all my respect when he melted down at Victor Martinez on the mound.

There goes Cespedes...

My link

Kind of irritating that the A's of all teams made him the highest paid cuban to come over here. Either they must really like him or they're hoping he plays up close to the contract to trade to some desperate team for prospects in the future. Either way, they're still going to be 3rd best in the division. The signing just didn't make much sense to me.

The A's are going to be pathetic still even with Cespedes. I really don't understand the move at all -- they trade away quality pitching all winter and then go and spend big money on a relatively unknown product? I know they are trying to move to San Jose and maybe the angle is to have Cespedes around for that, but they are years away from being anywhere near decent even with all of the prospects they acquired for Gonzalez and Cahill. I kinda believe the idea too that the A's will just trade him for prospects (if he pans out) a couple years from now when they are still irrelevant.

The A's are going to be pathetic still even with Cespedes. I really don't understand the move at all -- they trade away quality pitching all winter and then go and spend big money on a relatively unknown product? I know they are trying to move to San Jose and maybe the angle is to have Cespedes around for that, but they are years away from being anywhere near decent even with all of the prospects they acquired for Gonzalez and Cahill. I kinda believe the idea too that the A's will just trade him for prospects (if he pans out) a couple years from now when they are still irrelevant.

Haven't you seen Moneyball? There's a reason behind the insansity :yowza:

Seriously though, I really don't get it either. I really don't even understand why they moved Cahill, prospects are nice but you really gotta hang onto some of the guys that pan out. It's hard to develop a future when you keep dealing away the guys trying to develop in your system.

I am a bit confused. Under the IOC's do's/dont's, athletes are provided with the master list of prohibited medications. They don't care what ailment you're treating and you get caught with any of those substances in your system, tough. Is MLB's "system" that much different than the IOC's? The bigger story: Braun's lawyers were smarter than MLB's lawyers.

I am a bit confused. Under the IOC's do's/dont's, athletes are provided with the master list of prohibited medications. They don't care what ailment you're treating and you get caught with any of those substances in your system, tough. Is MLB's "system" that much different than the IOC's? The bigger story: Braun's lawyers were smarter than MLB's lawyers.

Actually, the league does care as long as its done within their protocol. From what I understand, any MLB player is allowed to take the medication Braun did, so long as its prescribed by a doctor and they make their respective team aware of it, who then in turn makes the league office aware. Somewhere in the middle Braun's representatives didn't let them know, hence why the dirty test was made public. Had they told them from the get go, all of this would've been avoided and no one would know about Braun's embarrassing ailment.

Actually, the league does care as long as its done within their protocol. From what I understand, any MLB player is allowed to take the medication Braun did, so long as its prescribed by a doctor and they make their respective team aware of it, who then in turn makes the league office aware. Somewhere in the middle Braun's representatives didn't let them know, hence why the dirty test was made public. Had they told them from the get go, all of this would've been avoided and no one would know about Braun's embarrassing ailment.

The 'positive test' came from an elevated level of testosterone in his blood stream when he gave his sample for the playoffs. It wasn't that they necessarily caught him with any particular substance in his system. Like NFM stated, it wasn't an illegal substance per se - but without knowledge of his medication regimen the MLB had no choice but to make the logical conclusion that the spike in his testosterone was from a PED and not STD medication.

Thank you.

From MLB:

"We're not here to drink," said slugger David Ortiz. "We're here to play baseball. You know what I'm saying? This ain't no bar. This is an organization, a place that needs a lot of athleticism. Alcohol has nothing to do with that. People have alcohol in their houses. If you want to drink it, drink at home."

Tigers' first exhibition game is tomorrow against Florida Southern and the line-up is as follows:

1. Austin Jackson, CF

2. Brennan Boesch, RF

3. Miguel Cabrera, 3B

4. Prince Fielder, 1B

5. Delmon Young, LF

6. Alex Avila, C

7. Jhonny Peralta, SS

8. Andy Dirks, DH

9. Ryan Raburn, 2B

1-7 is just nasty, but I don't know how you have Dirks and Young in the game and don't put Dirks in left.

Bad news for AJ Burnett, too. Worse news for the Pirates.

Tigers' first exhibition game is tomorrow against Florida Southern and the line-up is as follows:

1. Austin Jackson, CF

2. Brennan Boesch, RF

3. Miguel Cabrera, 3B

4. Prince Fielder, 1B

5. Delmon Young, LF

6. Alex Avila, C

7. Jhonny Peralta, SS

8. Andy Dirks, DH

9. Ryan Raburn, 2B

1-7 is just nasty, but I don't know how you have Dirks and Young in the game and don't put Dirks in left.

Bad news for AJ Burnett, too. Worse news for the Pirates.

Yeah, definitely agree with you. 1-7 is sick and probably how it will look on Opening Day. I have no idea what the logic is to starting Young in left either with Dirks playing, but I will just pray this an exhibition-only event.

Honestly my biggest hope in Spring Training is Danny Worth makes the team over Brandon Inge. However, there are probably 5.5 million reasons working against me. I think if Leyland is intent on splitting Raburn/Santiago at second base, it makes more sense to keep Worth around. He can also rest Peralta at shortstop and he's excellent defensively at third too. I'll let it play out but I seriously think the Tigers need to just end it with Inge.

Prince reportedly hit a HR 611 feet today. Yes, 611. I have my doubts about the accuracy, but my goodness that's insane. Have fun AL Central pitchers.