• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 Baseball thread

Rate this topic

Saw a piece on a high school or college player who could do this. He once faced a switch hitter and they kept switching back and forth throughout the at-bat to try and get an advantage. Eventually a rule was implemented - at whatever level of play they were at - that you had to designate your 'side' before the at-bat.

5208527240faa2f69c0ddcc58686.jpg

If this as a "scratch and sniff" photo , you'd smell linament; lots and lots of linament.

From Wiki: "On January 18, 2012, Moyer signed a minor-league contract (with an invitation to spring training) with the Colorado Rockies, a team that did not exist when he made his MLB debut in 1986"

Winding down Spring Training thankfully. It appears the Tigers have three decisions left to make for the Opening Day roster. Obviously the major one will be whatever happens at second base.

I think Smyly and Below both might make the team. Smyly as the 5th starter and Below as a long reliever in the bullpen. I like Below's story, but I just don't think he has good enough stuff to be an effective starter consistently. I would rather see a prospect with some upside like Smyly fill the role if the Tigers deem him ready.

What I really want and what will happen at second base are probably very different. I think Worth deserves it for many reasons, among them being he can play all three infield positions quite well defensively. Worth is never going to be a great hitter, though he would do just fine for a utility infielder. If the Tigers look solely at merit and not the name on the jersey, it's a very easy decision.

Tigers announced this morning Smyly as the 5th starter, Luis Marte gets the final spot in the bullpen. Smyly won't start until April 12th, meaning there is one extra roster spot available for now. Dirks, Thomas, Worth and Inge are the final four with three of them making the team.

From Wiki: "On January 18, 2012, Moyer signed a minor-league contract (with an invitation to spring training) with the Colorado Rockies, a team that did not exist when he made his MLB debut in 1986"

I read somewhere that Jamie Moyer would have been the oldest starter on the Rockies' inaugural Opening Day line-up, too.

Tigers announced this morning Smyly as the 5th starter, Luis Marte gets the final spot in the bullpen. Smyly won't start until April 12th, meaning there is one extra roster spot available for now. Dirks, Thomas, Worth and Inge are the final four with three of them making the team.

Jim Price just brought up the idea that - without a decision this close to Opening Day - the Tigers might be trying to make a move to shore up 2B. Sounds like Raburn's defense has improved this Spring - but I still don't think anyone is sold on him as an everyday 2B. At this point it also sounds like Worth and Inge are about the same player and you have to wonder how much longer loyalty will keep Inge around when Worth should probably already have his spot.

197GP5.St.56.jpg

O4z4w.St.56.jpg

Z1b23.St.56.jpg

The most recent ESPN the Magazine has a feature on the park and the things that make it so 'special'. The Marlins front office makes no qualms about the fact that it is meant to be in attraction onto itself with its swimming pool in left center and the nightclub that exists within the park – it'll be good for the area it's in (a poor section of Little Havana) for the stadium to be a success. It'll be a lot better for baseball for the Marlins themselves to be a success, though.

Smyly with the start against Toronto this afternoon, and he may very well have the Opening Day line-up behind him –

CF Jackson

RF Boesch

3B Cabrera

1B Fielder

LF Young

DH Raburn

SS Peralta

C Avila

2B Santiago

Smyly with the start against Toronto this afternoon, and he may very well have the Opening Day line-up behind him –

CF Jackson

RF Boesch

3B Cabrera

1B Fielder

LF Young

DH Raburn

SS Peralta

C Avila

2B Santiago

I think you are right on. It makes perfect sense -- Avila lower in the order facing a lefty like Lester on Thursday. My goodness, what a lineup. I can't wait for this season to start.

Looks like Duane Below will be headed north for Opening Day after all, as Luis Marte has been placed on the DL having been injured in today's blowout loss to the Blue Jays.

The Tigers have also placed Brandon Inge on the Disabled List retroactive to March 30, so Thomas, Dirks, and Worth will all be headed north as well. There is going to have to be a firm decision made there soon, though. I think it may be time for Inge to occupy some other role on the team. Like bench coach.

Jim said Inge will be a platoon 2B who starts against lefties. He will have to hit to stay that way though. According to Leyland, there was never really any competition between Worth and Inge for the last spot.

Leyland is right -- there was no competition. Worth outplayed Inge in every regard and .180 man is still going to be on the team when healthy. Inge's comments and arrogance this Spring Training just sickens me. Shut up and hit the damn ball. Quit making excuses and playing the victim like someone that has suffered some unjust wrongdoing. Fans are frustrated because the Tigers have given Inge so many opportunities for one good season and he still can't hit a baseball.

I wish he would go away for good. Worth is a better baseball player. Inge made the team because of his contract and history.

in all fairness, Inge did hit this spring. His strikeouts were WAY down, he was hitting the ball square, it just happened to be hit right at people. That is a good sign. His AVG did not represent how he was performing. His last full season in '10 he played 144 games and had 514 at bats. If he had the K rate he had this spring he would strike out 52 less times than he did in '10. Math: 50 AB this spring and 8 Ks = .16Ks per AB. Over 514 ABs the K rate is 82.24. Back in '10 he struck out 134 times. The .16 is 11 points lower than his performance last year when he struck out .27 per AB. Don't write him off yet, he is striking the ball.

in all fairness, Inge did hit this spring. His strikeouts were WAY down, he was hitting the ball square, it just happened to be hit right at people. That is a good sign. His AVG did not represent how he was performing. His last full season in '10 he played 144 games and had 514 at bats. If he had the K rate he had this spring he would strike out 52 less times than he did in '10. Math: 50 AB this spring and 8 Ks = .16Ks per AB. Over 514 ABs the K rate is 82.24. Back in '10 he struck out 134 times. The .16 is 11 points lower than his performance last year when he struck out .27 per AB. Don't write him off yet, he is striking the ball.

I think he's had enough chances. Time to move on.

Besides, it's spring training. I would hope he's at least putting the ball into play.

The last six times Kentucky has won the NCAA men's basketball title, the Yankees have gone on to win the World Series.

Kind of funny you mentioned that considering I recently felt they have the best team this season. Much better pitching going into this season and the lineup is always solid. Plus I guess A-Rod went to the same German doctor that Kobe Bryant went to this past summer to get that shady blood-platelet-transfer surgery (where now Kobe's leading the league in minutes and points in this shortened season at age 33.) Could be a bounce back year for him is my guess.

Kind of funny you mentioned that considering I recently felt they have the best team this season. Much better pitching going into this season and the lineup is always solid. Plus I guess A-Rod went to the same German doctor that Kobe Bryant went to this past summer to get that shady blood-platelet-transfer surgery (where now Kobe's leading the league in minutes and points in this shortened season at age 33.) Could be a bounce back year for him is my guess.

Ten bodies either nursing hurts or on the various Disabled Lists doesn't make for an easy start to this Yankee season.

Got to see a few innings of the real Tigers play today in Toledo. Brennan Boesch was killing the ball in batting practice. I mean absolute bombs.

Tomorrow is finally the real deal! JV vs. Lester at Comerica and the debut of the Prince. So stoked for this season -- last year was special, but the hype and potential for this Tigers team is unmatched in my life.

Best time of the year. The Tigers are back and Red Wings in the playoffs. :yahoo:

No more offseason questions, no more spring training roster spots to fill, this is the big dance. Play Ball! JV on the mound and the most daunting 2-6 in baseball, should be a good game.