• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 Baseball thread

Rate this topic

2-0 leads just aren't working out for Verlander. No decision from a blown save on Opening Day and looking like an improbable loss here today. Takes a one-hitter into the 9th and can't finish it off. Just goes to show you a lot of things went his way to win 24 last season.

Daniel Schlereth is still completely useless. Why is he on this team? Leyland deserves blame too for bringing Schlereth into the game tied at 2. Nothing good comes from Schlereth pitching, especially in a close game. Can't throw strikes for s*** and when he does they get drilled. Toledo please, forever.

Article on MLive notes V.Mart has a chance to be back in the line up in late August as he ended up not requiring surgery that was scheduled for last week. Think of how dirty that line up would be with V.Mart:

Jackson

Boesch

Cabrera

Fielder

Martinez

Young

Avila

Peralta

Raburn/Santiago etc.

Can't wait for Fister to return. He's the key to the rotation. He needs to replicate his dominance from last year's stretch

anyone still on the Raburn bandwagon? He is worthless. Can't field, can't hit. He is a whopping 2-19 and that is a very impressive .105 AVG. He is choking worse than ever. We should have kept Clete and designated Raburn for assignment. I will give him another week or so before I really start ripping into him, but right now he is not contributing in any way shape or form.

I'm not worried about Raburn -- the Tigers are 5-1 and he's still better than Brandon Inge over the course of 162 games. To call him worthless is hysterical when you consider what Inge did last season. 19 AB's is enough to say he can't hit? Inge hasn't hit save for one season in over a decade with the team. Though I suppose we could always go over the Inge excuses again. Clete Thomas has no long-term value to the Tigers and they already have enough bodies in the outfield. Raburn would be claimed on waivers (unlike Inge) in a second.

I'm sorry, but it's clear you hate Raburn because he's a road block to .197 playing more often. The double standard with Inge supporters is insane. They will root for other players to fail just to see Inge get another chance and ultimately show yet again why he needs to go away for good. 19 AB's is enough to run someone off, but hey Brandon Inge gets endless opportunities because he's a nice guy and could play defense well five years ago.

Obviously, Raburn at 2B isn't ideal. Then again, neither is Inge. I understand the support for Inge because he's been a good team guy throughout his whole career going from Utitiltyman to Catcher to 3B and now to 2B, but GoWings is right in that Raburn's bat (when operational) is probably worth more in WAR than Inge's glove. I am not a big fan of Raburn whatsoever, but his Spring wasn't a fluke. I think he'll find his stroke.

As far as Thomas goes, it's not really a question of him vs. Raburn. His comparable counterpart is Andy Dirks - a younger, slightly faster OF with a better bat and a (Dominican) World Series ring. I wish the best for Clete as he's really handled the situation well, but he could also land significant time elsewhere in the majors and it'll probably be better for everyone.

Article on MLive notes V.Mart has a chance to be back in the line up in late August as he ended up not requiring surgery that was scheduled for last week. Think of how dirty that line up would be with V.Mart:

Jackson

Boesch

Cabrera

Fielder

Martinez

Young

Avila

Peralta

Raburn/Santiago etc.

Also, this line-up. I mean come on. Right now the Tigers' line-up is lacking equally at 2B and DH (not that we need another bat) and VMart's return would get this team one step closer to being complete. And, since it's VMart, that's a huge step. I think more than his frozen rope RBIs, the Tigers miss his clubhouse presence. Not to say they need another good clubhouse guy, but Martinez has long been considered one of the best in that regard.

"I've kept myself in pretty good shape, and I'm just excited that Cleveland is giving me this opportunity to see what I can do and also go help out a young team and provide some leadership to them," Damon said on MLB Network Radio. "I told them I've been staying in great shape, been running, been throwing, been hitting, been playing soccer. So I told them I feel like I could be ready in a couple of days."

If Jamie Moyer can do it...

Besides, he gets to play in both games on "Old Timer's Day".

Chicago cheating bastards!

Can't believe Cabby caught that. What a pro.

In other news, Dave Dombrowski said that, "if you watched [inge] play second base, you'd think he'd played there the last 10 years".

Inge was pretty solid in Spring Training, but what it comes down to is production at the plate. Obviously, he is a defensive upgrade from any available options at 2B right now, but you can't have a void in the 9 spot.

dave-dombrowski.jpg

In "Double D" you trust.

Well that's true, I can't hardly argue with the moves he's made.

Honestly, I'm fine with Inge joining the team, and I don't mind that we'll likely lose Clete Thomas because of it. One could even say that he'll be the best defensive position player on the infield, and he's clearly been playing the bag well. That's not the issue, though, his plate production is - and has been - his biggest weakness and question mark.

Realistically, it doesn't matter much if he hits at all given all the fire power this team has in 1-8 at the moment. Still, you don't want to give away at bats.

Chicago cheating bastards!

Can't believe Cabby caught that. What a pro.

I liked how the White Sox fans got all upset at Cabrera. Were they expecting the Sox to not hit in this game? Cabrera has the combination of talent and smarts I have never seen watching baseball.

How awkward was Delmon Young playing that double by Rios? Haha wow, I can laugh at it now because it didn't hurt the team but my goodness what an awful defender. I think in meaniningful games later this year if V-Mart isn't back, Young has to DH and start Raburn/Dirks in left.

I will just let Raburn's play speak for itself here (2-22 now)...

I did think it was great that Cabby made the grounds crew re-chalk the whole batters box. Scherzer was pretty good today with 11 Ks, Delmon looked as lost as a hooker in church in left today, but he did hit the homer. Pretty quiet day otherwise from everyone else.