• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 Baseball thread

Rate this topic

Rough times right now all the way around. The offense has completely dried up since the opening series against Boston. The Tigers have gone up against some pretty strong pitching so far, but the bats aren't clicking at all which is very surprising considering the depth throughout the lineup.

The starting pitching is extremely erratic. JV has been his usual self, Smyly has been excellent despite not winning. Porcello got bombed against Texas, but his first two starts were great. Scherzer really needs to find some consistency soon. Clearly, Doug Fister is a huge loss. He eats innings and usually wins. Once Fister comes back, I will feel way better about the pitching.

Overall, I'm not really worried about this recent slump. The offense will heat up probably with the weather. The Tigers were eight games out of first on May 2nd last season. They are the best team in the AL Central by a mile -- the Indians and White Sox are maybe .500 teams over the long haul IMO. Granted, I think the Rangers series especially exposed some of the Tigers most glaring flaws. No speed to manufacture runs, the gaping hole at 2nd base and some pretty shoddy team defense in particular.

Wilk got sent down after tonight and Villarreal is back up. Below has been lights out from the bullpen so it will be interesting to see who takes Fister's spot next time around.

Honestly the only pitchers I am satisfied with at this point in the season are JV of course and Below who has been the only thing good coming out of the bullpen. Wilk going down is a good choice. He doesn't look ready yet.

It's early though so I agree the offense should perk up with time and a healthy Fister will start to settle things down with the Starters. It's not going to get any easier though going to the Bronx for the weekend.

Brandon+Inge+Detroit+Tigers+Photo+Day+g9K-pVY4-bil.jpg

The Detroit Tigers have given INF Brandon Inge his unconditional release, effective immediately.

It's likely for the best. He has been a great team player and obviously a fan favorite (and enemy), but it's still a sad way to go.

On Friday the Tigers will purchase the contract of Brad Eldred who has 13 HR and 35 RBI in 20 games with the Mud Hens. The Kansas City Royals, by comparison, have 13 HR on the year. Hopefully he can add some pop to the DH position for a team that, surprisingly, needs it.

I will be civil here and just say thank you to Inge for his service to the Detroit Tigers. I haven't been a fan of his efforts on the field for most of his career, but I do appreciate his dedication and passion for the team and community.

Baseball related, this is the right move. Hopefully Eldred can add some much needed pop to this struggling offense.

Delmon Young arrested, faces hate crime charge in New York

What a ******* idiot. Release him, too. Please. Why are you out at 2:30 when you should be getting ready for a game? Better yet, why are you 'highly intoxicated' and getting in fights? How dumb can you possibly be? This is a contract year for Young who is playing okay at best on a team that doesn't need anymore alcohol-related distractions.

Please show Mr. Young the door.

As more information unfolds it sounds as though a small skirmish broke out after Young said, according to the New York Post, "F---ing Jews! F---ing Jews!" about a panhandler wearing a yarmulke. Things got heated, Young ended up pushing a man to the ground but both parties returned to their rooms. Then, also according to the Post, after the man who received the push noticed scratches on his arm - he called the police.

It doesn't make Delmon Young any less of an idiot, but it certainly doesn't sound as bad as initial reports might lead you to imagine.

I'm still perfectly fine with the dismissal of Delmon Young. I've never been a fan of his off-field incidents and didn't like him as a Twin. His great performance down the stretch and lack of news on the 'getting in trouble' front had me feeling better about him; but the Tigers certainly don't need this.

As more information unfolds it sounds as though a small skirmish broke out after Young said, according to the New York Post, "F---ing Jews! F---ing Jews!" about a panhandler wearing a yarmulke. Things got heated, Young ended up pushing a man to the ground but both parties returned to their rooms. Then, also according to the Post, after the man who received the push noticed scratches on his arm - he called the police.

It doesn't make Delmon Young any less of an idiot, but it certainly doesn't sound as bad as initial reports might lead you to imagine.

I'm still perfectly fine with the dismissal of Delmon Young. I've never been a fan of his off-field incidents and didn't like him as a Twin. His great performance down the stretch and lack of news on the 'getting in trouble' front had me feeling better about him; but the Tigers certainly don't need this.

Ugh. You hit it right on -- this is exactly what the Tigers don't need happening. I too have never been a fan of Young's demeanor and figured he was a time bomb from the day the Tigers acquired him. The legal process can play itself out here, but nothing changes the fact Young was highly intoxicated the night before a game and ended up getting into a fight. As you pointed out, how much of an idiot do you have to be in a contract year to put yourself in that position? Does he think his s***ty numbers so far this season are going to get him a nice new deal when he already had major character concerns?

I miss Victor Martinez more every day. If he's around, then you can probably say farewell to Delmon after this incident and move on. From a baseball perspective though, I don't think the Tigers can afford to just walk away. Who plays left field or DH's? Eldred is still an unknown commodity in the big leagues. I hate Young batting 5th because his plate discipline might be the worst I have ever seen, but I was hoping hitting behind Cabrera and Fielder would lead to some big numbers again. V-Mart would be back next year, Delmon would help the Tigers win this season and get a huge contract offer elsewhere because of it. Too bad he still swings at anything thrown near the plate and hasn't shown the power he displayed in the playoffs.

It just feels like nothing is going the Tigers way since that special opening homestand.

Edited by GoWings1905

Young, not surprisingly, is not in the lineup for tonight's game. If the incident alone didn't get me mad enough as a Tigers fan, Leyland's lineup tonight sealed the deal.

Dirks isn't even starting, Kelly is batting 5th and Eldred 6th. What the hell? I wouldn't throw Prince a strike all night if I was Nova with the short-porch in right. Move Avila and/or Peralta up in the order, please. They should be hitting 5th/6th even when Delmon is playing.

Edited by GoWings1905

skowron_lrg.jpg

”When I was about 8 years old living in Chicago, my grandfather gave all the haircuts to his grandchildren,” Skowron told John Tullius for the oral history “I’d Rather Be a Yankee.” ”He shaved off all my hair. I was completely bald. When I got outside, all the older fellows around the neighborhood started calling me Mussolini. At that time, he was the dictator of Italy. So after that, in grammar school, high school and college, everybody called me Moose.”

Fans liked to chant his nickname when he came to bat, which could sometimes confuse the nonfans. ”When I played for the White Sox,” he once told Baseball Digest, “my grandmother thought everyone in the crowd was going boo. I said: ‘No, Grandma, it’s all right. They like me. They’re saying Moose.’ She was so relieved.”

Edited by cusimano_brothers