• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 Baseball thread

Rate this topic

628x471.jpg

“At this pace,” U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton said, “I’ll guess we’ll be here forever.”
Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said he’s done with Twitter.

The outspoken 48-year old explained why before Thursday’s game against the Braves. “I hate Twitter. Everybody who follows me can [expletive] their pants,” Guillen said.

“Don’t follow me anymore. It’s a stupid thing. I never made any money on that. When you speak Spanish, you speak Spanish. When you speak English [people say] ‘you don’t know how to spell English.’ Get a real job. Get a life. I don’t make money out of that. I’m done.”

Were people on Twitter sending Guillen nasty messages? “People are nasty,” Guillen said. “I don’t need that. I don’t need the aggravation. So many nasty people. They don’t have nothing better to do.

From MLB:

"I love Interleague Play," Selig said. "It has been very beneficial for the sport. Our fans like it; our customers likes it and it's good. This weekend will be terrific with different matchups, not the normal geographical ones, but good ones."

Does this remind you of anybody from a different sport? This is "Selig's Folly".

Unfortunately I couldn't see it tonight, but what else is there to say about Justin Verlander? He could easily have five no-hitters or so by now. I remember a couple games last season where he got extremely close against the Indians and Angels. Those are just off the top of my head too, so I'm sure there's more where he has gone deep and just barely missed it.

Once in a lifetime talent. He's such a treat to watch.

Edited by GoWings1905

Big names were on hand for the ceremonial "first pitch" in the season opener for the Toronto Maple Leafs of the Intercounty Baseball League:

1336062375499_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

1336062374491_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

Can either replace Valverde? The closing situation in Detroit is dicey at best. Dotel....13 teams or something like that. Jose got lucky as hell last year...this year it's all catching up to him.

Hate to call it a "big" series in May, but this is a nice test for the Tigers against the Indians. They haven't typically played well in Cleveland recently and the streak of not winning consecutive games needs to end here.

Fortunately Porcello, Fister and JV are starting the three games. Hopefully the offense can support them enough to get some wins.

Edited by GoWings1905

This is extremely frustrating to watch right now. Jon Morosi tweeted earlier that the Tigers had lost their swagger from the second-half of last season. Couldn't really have summed it better -- except adding that I think the most important element to that "swagger" (Victor) isn't around and it appears they are sorely missing the spark he provides.

Tonight's game pretty much represented the Tigers season perfectly so far. The defense was atrocious, even though Porcello didn't help his own cause much with another poor outing. The Tigers gave away so many outs, which led to runs. I didn't expect this team to be a stalwart defensively, but sloppy mistakes like Boesch dropping a line drive or Porcello throwing the ball away prove extra costly when the offense isn't there to cover up the errors.

The offense is a huge disappointment. It looks beautiful when everything is clicking, but I guess the way the Tigers are constructed just isn't my ideal concept of a baseball team. Too much reliance on power and very little plate discipline outside of Cabrera and Avila. The Indians were aggressive on the bases and used their speed to manufacture runs. The Tigers have one player that can cause damage when he gets on base and he's injured at the moment. Everything is just too stagnant most nights -- struggle to get scoring chances and when they do, it gets wasted with double plays or waiting on a homer to get runs in. Jimenez got let off the hook with six walks.

The Tigers will find their groove and hopefully an extended winning streak sooner rather than later, but this present version isn't at all entertaining nor living up to their expectations.

Edited by GoWings1905

It's tough to watch them struggle. Real tough. We were in a similar spot last year, though, and ended up cruising through the rest of the season - here's hoping they get their groove back soon.

In related news, RP Colin Balester has been designated for assignment and the Tigers have purchased the contract of Quintin Berry. Berry, a career minor-leaguer impressed in Spring Training and has a tremendous amount of speed and good glove in the OF and should be a nice stop-gap while Austin Jackson recovers from his side strain that - depending on how he feels today - may result in a trip to the DL.

20 LOB in two games for the Tigers. They are just giving wins away because their powerful offense on paper can't drive in runs at all. Poor Fister has pitched very well and hasn't gotten a lick of run support yet. The Indians aren't anything special, but it proves that fundamentals and even a little clutch hitting can win baseball games.

The Tigers were on the receiving end of some terrible umpiring tonight too. They actually take pitches for once and get screwed on balls outside of the strike zone. Nothing is going their way and the frustration seems to really be building from the players and coaches.

I'm sure JV will salvage something from this series like usual tomorrow, but that's just going to mask the Tigers issues for a couple hours again. I still think they can/will turn it around, but I would be lying if I said my optimism in that isn't shrinking more by the day.

Edited by GoWings1905