• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 Baseball thread

Rate this topic

MLB Public Relations just tweeted this photo, to appear in the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, USA Today, and the Latino Press on Friday.

A4VJJ13CMAIMkFL.jpg

Edited by Travis

Guest irishock

Game 1 vs A's on Saturday. Verlander to start.

I have faith in the Tigers making a deep playoff run this year. Cabrera has been unreal all year long while Fielder, Jackson, Infante are all peaking at the right time. Gotta win the first two at home though, so only 1 win in Oakland is needed (they have a crazy crowd)

Edited by irishock

So I've been absent on the boards most of the Summer. Lack of fun Wings / hockey news and a terribly frustrating baseball club didn't leave me with much to talk about. But wow, the last month of the season the Tigers have played their best baseball of the entire year, really. Reversing the curse of 2009 and clinching the Central in convincing fashion. I am absolutely ready for the Oakland A's on Saturday.

You can't even begin to describe how incredible Miguel Cabrera has been. What an incredible season from Cabby.

Welcome Back! I wondered where you had been to share in this, at times, very agonizing season. At least it turned out well in the end and now the best is yet to come: playoff baseball -- where anything can happen.

I'll start thinking more about the A's and that series tomorrow, but for tonight I'm just extremely proud of Miguel Cabrera. It's an honor to watch him play baseball on a daily basis, much like Justin Verlander when he starts. I don't feel like Miggy winning the Triple Crown is rightfully getting the attention it deserves. Scary thing about Miggy is he basically puts up these numbers every year and yet it largely goes unrecognized or maybe it's just expected status quo by now. What a talent and probably once-in-a-lifetime accomplishment achieved. He's the MVP without question.

Proud of the Tigers also for winning the division. It wasn't pretty, nor certain until game 160, but they got it done and nothing else matters now.

Edited by GoWings1905

Well, apparently the infield fly rule now includes a ball hit into left field. I can't even grasp how you can possibly make that call there.

Shame on the Braves fans though. That's not the answer and it's embarrassing to witness a scene like that result.

Tonight was a shock, I really can't believe how things unfolded. It was an embarrassing call but an even more embarrassing display by the home fans.

I am a fan of the Braves, and it sucks that this important of a game was potentially decided by a call like that, and Chipper's last game memories will have shades of bottles and cups being thrown on the field.

LOL Hamilton

Boston is going to pay this guy 150 to strike out 250+

But they will get half of an MVP season out of him. I'd think they learned their lesson with Carl Crawford and decide to pass on Hamilton.

Can't believe Texas is gone already. Their pitching is pretty mediocre, but that lineup is loaded. They were the last AL team I wanted the Tigers to see just because I think the matchup is a very poor one. Thought the Rangers were going to cruise through the AL and back to the World Series. What a great story the Orioles are. The A's too, but I feel like that script should end on a bad note.

I like the Tigers in four, Orioles in five, Cardinals in four and Giants in five in the divisional series. Not sure why, but I now feel really good about the Tigers chances to get to the World Series. I probably shouldn't be overly confident given some of the flaws we witnessed for most of the regular season. However, pitching wins this time of year and the Tigers starting rotation is excellent.

Giants/Tigers in the fall classic, though I do see the Giants winning it all.

Porcello, Smyly, Worth, Kelly all make the playoff roster of the borderline decisions. Boesch, Villarreal and Downs left off. Only one I don't really like is Porcello over Downs (Oakland has a lot of lefties), but I get wanting to have a fifth starter just in case. Thrilled Boesch isn't around -- he's useless at the plate and terrible in the field.

Tigers lineup for Game 1: Jackson 8, Berry 7, MVP 5, Fielder 3, Young DH, Dirks 9, Peralta 6, Avila 2, Infante 4 and JV starting

Getting excited now. Let's Go Tigers!

I agree with GoWings, I feel really good about our chances this year. Last year being in the playoffs felt like a gift, but I think this team is built to go deep. Power arms, power bats - and if Avila can heat up that would help us tremendously. As little as I enjoy Elmon Young, I appreciate the clutch hitting he showed last year and am hoping to see some of the same out of him this postseason, but we'll see.

Great win last night, it's really important for the Tigers to take both of these games at home. Starting at home is a gift for a team without home field advantage, so it's paramount that they make the most out of it - especially because the Coliseum is going to be nuts.

It was really nice to see them grind out a tough win, too, because that's what they're going to have to do night after night to go far in the playoffs. (duh)

Guest irishock

Crazy game. Please, Leyland don't ever put Phil Coke on the mound in the 9th of a tie game.

October baseball: Don Kelly is the hero in a playoff game. Very happy for him -- seems like an awesome person and quite the team player. Watched him play in Toledo a little more than a month ago.

Tigers up 2-0 heading to Oakland! What a game.

Crazy game. Please, Leyland don't ever put Phil Coke on the mound in the 9th of a tie game.

No kidding. Didn't like the move to bunt Dirks at all either. Hate to complain after a win like that, but wasn't a very well managed game by Leyland.

Yeah, I doubt I'd be crazy about 'The Kiss' if the tables were turned, but it really isn't that big of a deal. Al-Al said he got caught up in the moment, which I think you'd assume. Even the announcers on MLB Network were laughing about it. If anyone really thought he was trying to show off, he'd be getting lambasted right now.

Great win, great job by Don Kelly - the Wizard! Really happy to be going to Oakland up 2 games to none. Could prove extremely valuable. The Coliseum is a tough place to play.