• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 Baseball thread

Rate this topic

Kind of a classless move with the whole kissing the ball thing imo. It's similar to Owen Nolan pointing at his shot on Hasek and scoring on it, but the difference is it was done during the all star game, not a playoff game. Stupid lapses in judgement from players is part of the reason why i'm not a NFL fan, granted he wasn't dancing on the mound like a fool but still. Just an observation from a non-tigers fan, maybe i'd feel differently if they were my team.

Regardless, they have the odds tilted in their favor going into Oakland.

Kind of a classless move with the whole kissing the ball thing imo. It's similar to Owen Nolan pointing at his shot on Hasek and scoring on it, but the difference is it was done during the all star game, not a playoff game. Stupid lapses in judgement from players is part of the reason why i'm not a NFL fan, granted he wasn't dancing on the mound like a fool but still. Just an observation from a non-tigers fan, maybe i'd feel differently if they were my team.

Regardless, they have the odds tilted in their favor going into Oakland.

It wasn't necessary but it was emotion and adrenaline from the huge out. Reddick is also making a much bigger deal about it than he should be.

Reddick threw his bat because he struck out so much and even gave a little skip and a hop before catching a pop fly at the end of a game against the Tigers a few weeks back.

I hope we sweep this punk.

Yeah, I doubt I'd be crazy about 'The Kiss' if the tables were turned, but it really isn't that big of a deal. Al-Al said he got caught up in the moment, which I think you'd assume. Even the announcers on MLB Network were laughing about it. If anyone really thought he was trying to show off, he'd be getting lambasted right now.

Great win, great job by Don Kelly - the Wizard! Really happy to be going to Oakland up 2 games to none. Could prove extremely valuable. The Coliseum is a tough place to play.

Absolutely agree. Being up 2-0, at worst, now the Tigers get JV in Game 5. Obviously my nerves hope they wrap it up tomorrow, but I definitely thought it was crucial to win the first two at Comerica because the Tigers haven't been very good away from home this season.

It wasn't necessary but it was emotion and adrenaline from the huge out. Reddick is also making a much bigger deal about it than he should be.

Reddick threw his bat because he struck out so much and even gave a little skip and a hop before catching a pop fly at the end of a game against the Tigers a few weeks back.

I hope we sweep this punk.

Exactly. Reddick flipped after one of his 18 strikeouts in this series so far and that's acceptable but Al-Al showing some emotion after a huge out is immature and uncalled for. Has he never watched his own closer Grant Balfour pitch? The whole kiss really isn't a big deal -- just a young team whining because they find themselves a game away from elimination.

Personally, gestures like that don't bother me and it wouldn't the other way around either. It's emotion, playoff baseball and excitement combined. Certainly not necessary, but nothing to complain about.

It's similar to Aroldis Chapman this past season and his somersault, I just see stuff like that and think.. why?

Maybe i'm extremely spoiled being a hockey fan where displays like that are rare outside of guys named Sean Avery. You can't tell me you didn't want to punch Patrick Roy in the face whenever he threw his cocky glove hand in the air containing the puck after a big save. Yeah, we know you saved it that's why you're a millionaire.

I'm not defending Reddick in anyway either, don't get me wrong. I am just a strong supporter of professionalism in sports where it's unmatched in hockey. It's far and few between enough in Baseball that I still enjoy the sport but my tolerance levels for displays of dumbassery are low.

I'm also a bit bitter that my team is out already, I won't lie. :)

What would Freud say about AlAl?

Got off to a good start (as of last night, the road team scored first in every game in the playoffs), but leaving ten runners is too many and a team RISP of two-for-eight is too few.

I'm seeing the same familiar names in the box score with sub-.200 batting averages.

Guest irishock

Can't score a damn run. Prince easily could've had a homer and an extra base hit if this game wasn't played in Oakland.

Well, that looked a lot like the Tigers typical road performance for most of the season. The inconsistent offense was my biggest concern going into the playoffs. Really, the Tigers haven't mustered much of anything in the first three games and the A's defense certainly didn't gift any runs tonight. Oakland does pitch very well, but the Tigers really need to get the big bats going at the top of the order or this series could easily swing the other way. I find a way to despise Delmon Young just a little bit more with each passing game.

Didn't really expect a sweep, though it would have been nice to get it over with quickly and not allow Oakland any chance to get back in it. Sanchez was very solid again at least. Very concerned about Scherzer's rust and health for tomorrow.

Also have to say, the Athletics whining about Al-Al is even more laughable to me after watching Balfour tonight. A kiss on the baseball is nothing compared to those antics on the mound. I think the A's are a likeable team and great story overall, but I really can't stand Reddick or Balfour (and Inge).

Hoping for a big game from Scherzer tonight. If he can give the Tigers what we all know he's capable of, they should be in a good spot. Obviously, need to get the bats working; but you had to see a big game coming from the Athletics last night. It's hard to eliminate a team, of course, plus it was their first home game of the playoffs.

Let's go Tigs!

What's the Spanish word for s***? Because that's more fitting than potato. Unbelievable.

Valverde was so lucky last season. It was a fluke to convert every save and it's showing big time now because he is not closer material at all. He throws 93 MPH fastballs in the strike zone nearly every pitch and hopes it lands in a glove. Benoit has really been no different in the second-half as well. What was nearly a guaranteed win every time a season ago is now the complete opposite. You can't trust either in a close game to hold a lead. Goes to show how unpredictable bullpens are in MLB from year-to-year. The A's use Doolittle, Cook and Balfour and have major success.

You could definitely see this coming right when Valverde entered between his garbage and the A's penchant for always finding a way to win it seems, but man does this loss sting a lot. JV has to throw a complete game tomorrow basically and hope this unreliable offense can put up a few runs.

Edited by GoWings1905

Why does Valverde always have this habit of screwing up everything for the tigers in the post-season? I mean they had a two run lead, he just needed 3 outs, 1 inning he couldn't get a single strike-out, only a pop fly for an out and let three runs in. If he put half the effort into practicing his pitching game as he puts into his stupid shennanigans pre-pitch, they may have won the game. Now the tigers don't get the extra game rest and face a possible elimination after being up 2-0 in the series... :clap: rant over, I just wish Leyland would trade him/bench him... sad really, even after he pulled the same stuff last year, ok rant is seriously over now. :confused:

I have a bad feeling about tonight, but that could just be the bitter taste from yesterday still. I guess the positive angle is there's no one else I'd rather have on the mound in this spot. With the A's at home and the season they have had, feels like they are almost destined to win this game.

Go JV and Tigers! Maybe the Tigers can score enough runs so the bullpen isn't a factor late. AJ needs to have a big night in particular I think.

I haven't been so disgusted over a loss in a loooong time as I was last night. It sucks to have the whole pitching staff pitch lights out. Even Benoit who has been horrid of late pitched as good as he could and then one man comes in and f***s up the whole thing. That's what makes baseball special though. It's a team sport but in many ways it's not.

I still think the Tigers will win tonight. All season long they have played well with their backs against the wall and while I know the A's now have momentum and they are at home and probably the better all around team, I think someone... maybe Cabrerra and Verlander are going to simply will the Tigers to victory. Verlander might pitch a complete game or Cabby might get 4 hits with 5 RBI's or something but it's going to happen. I have faith.

I haven't been so disgusted over a loss in a loooong time as I was last night. It sucks to have the whole pitching staff pitch lights out. Even Benoit who has been horrid of late pitched as good as he could and then one man comes in and f***s up the whole thing. That's what makes baseball special though. It's a team sport but in many ways it's not.

I still think the Tigers will win tonight. All season long they have played well with their backs against the wall and while I know the A's now have momentum and they are at home and probably the better all around team, I think someone... maybe Cabrerra and Verlander are going to simply will the Tigers to victory. Verlander might pitch a complete game or Cabby might get 4 hits with 5 RBI's or something but it's going to happen. I have faith.

I'm glad you have faith, it's nice to see someone else have faith... Problem will be if they decide to close with Valverde again(history shows it's a possibility) I hope they are smart enough to sit him a for a long time though *gingers crossed*

It's Leyland, guys. If Verlander is at the threshold of his pitch count going into the 9th inning in a save situation, Valverde will be on to close. Same guy that played Ryan Raburn and Brennan Boesch for large chunks of the season. He's stubborn and loyal, sometimes to a fault, but his players love him for that.

Verlander just needs to be his own bullpen. The A's have done a great job working the counts and getting him to throw a lot of pitches in the previous two starts. JV isn't really my concern though. The offense has to get going and put up runs somehow.

Leyland bunts all the time and he doesn't in that spot with Avila to play for a run? I don't get it. Peralta would have scored there on the hit.

I'm so nervous. JV is looking terrific. This game is all up to him.

EDIT: Tigers finally bust it open a little with a big inning. 6-0 feels a lot better with JV out there. Just pray the bullpen doesn't get involved.

Edited by GoWings1905

Guest irishock

Best pitcher in baseball. LOL at people claiming Chris Sale, Jim Freaking Johnson and Felix Hernandez were better pitchers midseason