• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 Baseball thread

Rate this topic

I really should've posted this yesterday, but I had never been more confident about a game than I was heading into last night's.

Greatest pitcher on earth and a team with a chip on their shoulder facing a team who was simply not prepared to deal with JV. That said, who is? He's a special talent that we as sports fans are blessed to see.

I'm glad they were able to take the wind out of the A's sails last night and avoid any drama or childish behavior. I'm happy for the A's and they were a great story, but there has never been a team to complain more about professional behavior while repeatedly failing to show any of their own. I had a lot of respect for Josh Reddick before the series, but it's apparent that he only respects his teammates and has a lot to learn about sportsmanship. I hope he and Johnny Gomes learn some tact in the offseason.

I have a cousin in Oakland and now how much some of their fan base loves their team, but damn are there a lot of band wagoners - proven by their booing of everything that doesn't benefit the A's - so it's nice that we won't have to hear about how amazing their [brand new] fans are.

But I digress, great series win on the back of our horse. I will now root like hell for the Orioles, because the Yankees are always terrifying. That said, you never want to "want" your opponent in the postseason, because it often comes back to haunt you.

These playoffs so far have been unbelievable. Each divisional series goes the limit five games. The Tigers games give me near heart attacks, but as a neutral fan otherwise, I've loved watching all of the other series as well.

I'd like to see the Orioles come back and win this game/series. Home field advantage for the Tigers if so and the O's are a very cool story. Plus I can't will myself to ever root for the Yankees. It sure has been fun eliminating them twice though.

As a Reds fan, I'm not sure what was more painful: wathcing the Reds fall from a 2-0 series lead or that last damned Cardinals rally. What a huge letdown these playoffs have been.

How in anyway as a sports fan in general can you say that is a let down, forget who you are rooting for. This is a great playoff run in every series, tigers go up 2-0, end up having to win it in game 5 after valverde messes up a chance to take it in game 4, The cardinals rally 4 runs in the 9th inning to win the series, when they had two outs and two strikes on 5 of their hits in the ninth. The Giants rally back from a 0-2 start to take the series 3-2, The yankees went up 2-0, and in game 4 went 13 innings before the yankees lost to force game 5, and then obviously the yanks win game 5 to close out the series. These games are unpredictable and fun to watch.

Edited by Euro_Twins

Getting close to Game 1 of the ALCS. Baltimore did the Tigers a big favor at least by stretching it to five games. Sabathia doesn't pitch until Game 4 and no day of rest means a starter on short rest tomorrow in Game 2.

Like the Tigers chances quite a bit because of the starting pitching. Gotta keep the Yankees in the park (easier said than done on that high school field). Also going to need more from AJ, Miggy and Prince in this series which I fully expect to happen. The Yankees struggled offensively in the ALDS, but that is a very tough lineup to navigate still and close games that come down to the bullpens scare me.

Tigers in six, Giants in seven. Tough picking against the Cardinals mojo at this point, but gotta stick with my original World Series teams.

Guest irishock

Unreal, cant believe that just happened. Choke.

Tigers don't deserve to be labelled a choke. It's Valverde and only Valverde.

Isn't Valverde supposed to be a free agent at the end of the 2012 season? Bench him now, never let him screw up another Tiger save. Let Dotel finish the playoffs as closer, he has been a good one in the past and he doesn't seem to choke like "Papa Grande Loser".

Guest irishock

Leyland has got to go aswell. Allow the pinch runner to steal from 1st to 2nd to 3rd without a single throw? What the f*** is that.

The Yankees don't even look like they have the energy to win 4 out of 7. Ichiro hits a 2-run homer? Claps. Ibanez ties the game again? Claps from Girardi and smiles from Jeter. Fans don't even sound excited. We're losing to a team that doesn't deserve to win.

Edited by irishock

The Tigers should just hurry up and lose so I can really focus on hating Valverde.

Well, him and the lockout. Because I normally could care less about baseball...

Heh, im right there with ya, and yeah when I said choke earlier I meant Valverde, not the entire tigers roster :P

Guest irishock

Props to Dotel, Smyly for doing their things despite a demoralized team

Who the hell is David Phelps?

Delmon is the true Yankee killer.

The Tigers win! I have no idea how, but what a resilient group of guys to keep battling and pull it off. Delmon was huge and awesome work from Smyly coming out of the pen.

Leyland shouldn't be let off the hook though. He would have been facing major heat had his team not gotten the win.

Unbelievable what playoff baseball can display every night.

This postseason has been unreal so far. All series.

I definitely thought the Tigers were done in extra innings but nope. DY comes out of his shell at Yankee stadium and Smyly pitches like a 10 year veteran.

Now lets get this game today and hopefully not come back the rest of the year.

I've seen some speculation, but I think the Tigers need to "make" an injury for Valverde so they can add another arm to the bullpen for this series. He's done and the team already took an extra position player over 12 relievers. Add a lefty like Downs against the Yankees or even Villarreal. No way even stubborn Leyland can put Valverde back out there again. The Tigers have given up 15 runs in the playoffs and Valverde is responsible for seven of them.

Maybe a bit overlooked due to the chaos late, but where would the Tigers be without Peralta last night? Two terrific defensive plays early to help out Fister and he has hit the ball well the entire playoffs so far. Considering Miggy and Prince haven't gone nuts yet, what a great job guys like Peralta, Infante and Young have done to contribute offensively.

Hate to get greedy, but a 2-0 lead is there for the taking today. Kuroda on short rest, the Yankees have played five consecutive days and the bullpen has thrown a lot. Sanchez just needs to keep the lefties in the park. The Yanks are going to be inspired though losing Jeter and knowing what awaits them in Game 3 back in Detroit. (JV and a sellout crowd)

Guest irishock

Hoping Annibal can pitch at least 7. Dotel Smyly with Coke and Al Al as emergency closers