• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 Baseball thread

Rate this topic

The Yankees don't even look like they have the energy to win 4 out of 7. Ichiro hits a 2-run homer? Claps. Ibanez ties the game again? Claps from Girardi and smiles from Jeter.

The Yankees don't look excited enough for you? They aren't showing that level of emotion that fans yearn to see? That's a shame.

Here's what part of their itinerary looks like for tomorrow; the team will travel to Peoria, IL, where they will attend funeral services for Mr. Joe Girardi's father Jerry, who recently died as a result of deteriorating health since the 1990's from Alzheimer's disease.

Sorry that my team's enthusiasm is a bit muted these days. However, I fully understand why.

I just I'd present all of the facts. Hope it didn't ruin your story.

Guest irishock

No, they're playing like they want to go home as soon as possible. Look at Cano, Teixeira and Granderson's at bats. Look at A-Rod not even attempting to run on base after Avila dropped the 3rd strike. Only Ichiro has shown up for the Yanks in the ALCS. If Fielder's bat shows up in Detroit, the Tigers win this in 5 easily.

Edited by irishock

Yeah, while I feel for Girardi's loss, that's a pretty weak explanation. His dad passed away last Saturday and the Yankees still played the Orioles series during that span and won. They have no emotion because all of that high-priced talent can't hit the ball except off Valverde. Probably doesn't help their home fans that showed up booed everyone on the team in a heartbeat. TBS and Sager were full of excuses for the Yankees though instead of doing anything to give the Tigers some credit.

0.94 ERA from the starters so far in the playoffs. Throw in some timely hitting and you've got yourself a very dangerous team if the bullpen doesn't implode. This series is far from over, but the Tigers are the reason the Yankees look listless.

The Yankees don't look excited enough for you? They aren't showing that level of emotion that fans yearn to see? That's a shame.

Here's what part of their itinerary looks like for tomorrow; the team will travel to Peoria, IL, where they will attend funeral services for Mr. Joe Girardi's father Jerry, who recently died as a result of deteriorating health since the 1990's from Alzheimer's disease.

Sorry that my team's enthusiasm is a bit muted these days. However, I fully understand why.

I just I'd present all of the facts. Hope it didn't ruin your story.

I'd actually heard that Girardi was the only member of the team to attend the funeral. Is that not correct?

Of course, it's a terrible loss and you feel for Girardi - this Yankees team is beaten down. Their biggest bats have come up empty all postseason so far and they're facing the best staff left in the postseason. Not to mention, coming back in Game 1 only to lose the game and their captain was both insult and injury.

That said, I would never consider them 'out' until the 27th out of the Tigers' 4th win of the series.

Go Tigers.

Trade Valverde.

He's a free agent after this year. While I have been ultimately fine with his performance this year (85% or whatever is actually league average for saves), it just seems like he's lost the arm speed he needs to throw his pitches - most especially his sinker - effectively. I can't imagine he'll be back. I have no idea who will replace him, but I can't see him as the Tigers' closer next year.

This is a really exciting time guys. Not to count my chickens, but even to be on the verge of a potential World Series birth is amazing. Last time the Tigers were in this position I was on a sports 'sabbatical' if you will. I had just moved away from home for the first time and simply wasn't interested in sports at that point, but this is really something. Even my wife has started to come around and has been pretty damn enthralled throughout the postseason.

Go Tigers!

AL CHAMPS!!! Sweep the Yankees and heading back to the World Series. First team in history to defeat the evil empire three consecutive meetings in the playoffs. More fun: the Tigers have beaten the Yankees in seven consecutive playoff games and are 10-3 against them since 2006.

So proud of the Tigers and the clincher today was maybe their best performance yet as the offense really clicked to complement that starting piching. I've said many bad words to describe Delmon Young, but he's nothing but clutch in the playoffs. Peralta could have easily been MVP too. Coke dominating out of the bullpen and unsung rookies like Garcia and Smyly making a major impact.

Props to Leyland, Dombrowski and certainly Mr. Ilitch for putting this product on the field for all of us to enjoy. It wasn't always pretty this season, but once they got in, you could see the potential for something exciting to happen and it has. For me personally, seeing the Tigers go deep into the playoffs is really special. The Red Wings have always done it in my life and while you try not to, expectations and success can make you take it for granted. When your team stinks for so long, 2006 and now this year is pure joy. I'm elated and thrilled for the city of Detroit.

Edited by GoWings1905

Finally the start of the World Series tonight. Feels like forever since the Tigers last played. Really excited to hopefully see my first baseball championship.

The rust concerns me a little, but only because 2006 happened. Different group of guys and Leyland has them prepared. Terrified of the oncoming trainwreck that will happen with Delmon in LF, but I definitely understand wanting his bat in there, especially against two lefties in Zito and Bumgarner.

The Giants are a gritty group. I feel like the Tigers need to split at least in San Francisco and try to win the series at home where they play very well. Gotta take advantage of not seeing Vogelsong and Cain until the series shifts to Detroit.

Key to the series for me is the Tigers bullpen, especially on the road. With the pitchers hitting in the NL, it means you may have to pull your starter earlier than normal. Not really ideal with the way the Tigers starters have been going and the uncertainty from the relievers. The Yankees had a lot of lefties, which is ideal for Coke. Can he get key outs against righties (I doubt it) or do we have to rely on maybe Benoit and Valverde? I would prefer to see more of Al-Al and Dotel late, but you know the other two are bound to happen sometime.

My heart says the Tigers should win this series, but that's usually when they have the biggest letdown when expectations are higher. Everyone in the media is picking them too. I will go Tigers in six and JV as MVP.

Guest irishock

Giants have a better chance of winning if they are patient enough to force JV to throw 120 pitches before the 9th. Their goal should be to force the bullpen in, but they won't get many big hits playing that way.

This isn't going too well so far. JV is rattled and great at-bats from the top in Pagan, Scutaro and Sandoval. The Giants just know how to scrap for runs. Tigers look lost against Zito, which I was kinda worried about tonight. He's the type of pitcher the Tigers seemingly struggle with the most. They have no plate discipline at all.

The Giants starting pitching is very underrated and on fire the past four games. It isn't the huge advantage for Detroit most of the media proclaimed like that dope McCarver.

This is tough to watch. The Tigers road offense continues to produce nearly nothing like most of the season. Against the Giants two weakest starters no less. Had to get to Bumgarner because the Tigers aren't going to win games decided by the bullpen especially when they come in and issue free passes galore like tonight.

The Tigers are in big trouble. That's not panic or me giving up, but just an honest feeling from watching these first two games. The Giants beat the Tigers two best starters. Now the Tigers practically have to win the next three at home to have any shot. Not impossible, but doesn't look promising with Vogelsong and Cain pitching. Add to the fact every break seems to go the Giants way, which they capitalize very well on. They have been the better team in every aspect of the game so far.

Feel awful for Fister. Third straight gem in the playoffs, toughens out getting drilled in the head and comes up with nothing again.

This is a resilient team and they won't go down easy, but everything has to improve a lot at Comerica to make this a series. Where has Fielder been all playoffs and even Miggy to a lesser extent? Clearly this group isn't built to manufacture runs by stringing hits together so we need the big guns to put a few in the seats.

Tough games in San Francisco, without a doubt. I was really hoping they would earn a split behind Fister, who more than gave them a chance (unlike JV). Like GoWings said, though, the offense failed again.

I think a return to Detroit will do wonders for this offense. It's nice that Dirks and Berry will get into the line-up, too.

A win tonight and maybe they can jump on a struggling Cain tomorrow giving JV a chance to redeem himself on Monday.

Double plays, no power and the inability to string hits together or come up with a clutch one. Sounds like the Tigers all season really. Berry batting second is quite dumb too -- I love his energy, but he hasn't hit since June. Get Infante or Dirks there. Not that it ultimately matters much since Cabrera and Fielder apparently don't hit anymore either. Three runs in two games, shutout twice in a row and really haven't produced anything offensively besides Game 4 against the Yankees.

The Giants are just a much better team, but this is a pathetic showing from the Tigers. I'm throughly disappointed yet again as the Tigers fail miserably on the biggest stage as favorites. Just getting to the World Series isn't fun and acceptable anymore. They spend a lot of money and have a bunch of quality players in their primes. This is such a huge letdown.