622 replies to this topic

#241 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

Posted Image

Lawd, he's squealing like the pig that knows he's gonna be dinner today!

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#242 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

Posted Image

Hmmmm. Coincidence or...? USA Today.

#243 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

Never mind a good game, this is a good career: USA Today.

#244 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Posted Image

#245 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hate to call it a "big" series in May, but this is a nice test for the Tigers against the Indians. They haven't typically played well in Cleveland recently and the streak of not winning consecutive games needs to end here.

Fortunately Porcello, Fister and JV are starting the three games. Hopefully the offense can support them enough to get some wins.

Edited by GoWings1905, 22 May 2012 - 04:56 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#246 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

This is extremely frustrating to watch right now. Jon Morosi tweeted earlier that the Tigers had lost their swagger from the second-half of last season. Couldn't really have summed it better -- except adding that I think the most important element to that "swagger" (Victor) isn't around and it appears they are sorely missing the spark he provides.

Tonight's game pretty much represented the Tigers season perfectly so far. The defense was atrocious, even though Porcello didn't help his own cause much with another poor outing. The Tigers gave away so many outs, which led to runs. I didn't expect this team to be a stalwart defensively, but sloppy mistakes like Boesch dropping a line drive or Porcello throwing the ball away prove extra costly when the offense isn't there to cover up the errors.

The offense is a huge disappointment. It looks beautiful when everything is clicking, but I guess the way the Tigers are constructed just isn't my ideal concept of a baseball team. Too much reliance on power and very little plate discipline outside of Cabrera and Avila. The Indians were aggressive on the bases and used their speed to manufacture runs. The Tigers have one player that can cause damage when he gets on base and he's injured at the moment. Everything is just too stagnant most nights -- struggle to get scoring chances and when they do, it gets wasted with double plays or waiting on a homer to get runs in. Jimenez got let off the hook with six walks.

The Tigers will find their groove and hopefully an extended winning streak sooner rather than later, but this present version isn't at all entertaining nor living up to their expectations.

Edited by GoWings1905, 22 May 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#247 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

It's tough to watch them struggle. Real tough. We were in a similar spot last year, though, and ended up cruising through the rest of the season - here's hoping they get their groove back soon.

In related news, RP Colin Balester has been designated for assignment and the Tigers have purchased the contract of Quintin Berry. Berry, a career minor-leaguer impressed in Spring Training and has a tremendous amount of speed and good glove in the OF and should be a nice stop-gap while Austin Jackson recovers from his side strain that - depending on how he feels today - may result in a trip to the DL.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#248 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

20 LOB in two games for the Tigers. They are just giving wins away because their powerful offense on paper can't drive in runs at all. Poor Fister has pitched very well and hasn't gotten a lick of run support yet. The Indians aren't anything special, but it proves that fundamentals and even a little clutch hitting can win baseball games.

The Tigers were on the receiving end of some terrible umpiring tonight too. They actually take pitches for once and get screwed on balls outside of the strike zone. Nothing is going their way and the frustration seems to really be building from the players and coaches.

I'm sure JV will salvage something from this series like usual tomorrow, but that's just going to mask the Tigers issues for a couple hours again. I still think they can/will turn it around, but I would be lying if I said my optimism in that isn't shrinking more by the day.

Edited by GoWings1905, 23 May 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#249 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

From USA Today:

"I've had very, very little pressure from people who want to do more," Selig said.

Uncle "Bud" is delusional.

#250 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

Posted Image

#251 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

Anyone have any news or rumors about where Oswalt is going to sign? He's going to make an impact if he goes with Texas, St. Louis, Boston or wherever he may land, but I figured he would have signed somewhere by now.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#252 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

I will guess Texas; they stand as good a chance of winning a championship as any team. Boston might make him their closer.

#253 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

I'm only now finding out about last year's Nike Cooperstown Hair-itage t-shirts. That is one of the best ideas for t-shirts ever!

#254 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Two obvious omissions in the aforementioned t-s***rs:

Posted Image
Oscar Gamble.

Posted Image
Dick Allen.

#255 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Anyone have any news or rumors about where Oswalt is going to sign? He's going to make an impact if he goes with Texas, St. Louis, Boston or wherever he may land, but I figured he would have signed somewhere by now.

"Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reports the possibility of Oswalt returning in June is diminishing. According to Rosenthal, Major League executives say it's his asking price. One source tells Rosenthal Oswalt wants a pro-rated $7.5 million in base salary. Another said that Oswalt’s desired salary is a moving target, 'but always high.'"

Per MLB Trade Rumors

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#256 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:12 AM

"Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reports the possibility of Oswalt returning in June is diminishing. According to Rosenthal, Major League executives say it's his asking price. One source tells Rosenthal Oswalt wants a pro-rated $7.5 million in base salary. Another said that Oswalt’s desired salary is a moving target, 'but always high.'"

Per MLB Trade Rumors

:thumbup: Thanks.

I think if he is putting himself into a potential closer role and not getting into a team's rotation that his expectations for salary should be lowered. It's for this reason why I don't think he will land in Boston unless they give up on Buchholz after the horrid start he's having. I think his priority is to remain a SP and rightfully so.

Good to see the Tigers get out of their small slump, i'd like to see the Braves snap out of their recent skid.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#257 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

Kuroda's outing Sunday was a pleasant surprise.

#258 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

Posted Image
Uh-oh!

#259 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

Posted Image

"I've had very, very little pressure from people who want to do more," Selig said.

Welcome to "The World of "Planet 'Bud"".

#260 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

Posted Image

The "Manny Watch".