• Please log in to reply
622 replies to this topic

#21 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

Another HUGE plus if Cabrera is indeed moving to third base this season: no platoon of Brandon Inge and Don Kelly. That in itself adds another element of excitement to getting Prince Fielder. However, I will believe the Cabrera at third talk when it actually happens. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cabrera and Fielder just alternate at DH until V-Mart is healthy. Sure, the Tigers defense is beyond terrible (even more now) but does that matter when you are going to score a ton of runs and have Justin Verlander and Doug Fister pitching twice every five days?

Jackson - CF
Boesch - RF
Cabrera - 3B
Fielder - 1B
Avila - C
Peralta - SS
Young - DH
Raburn - LF
Santiago - 2B

I still can't believe this happened.

Edited by GoWings1905, 24 January 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#22 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

As an aside, I'd read that the story of the Fielder signing was broken by CBS Sports; these are the same people that "reported" that Joe Paterno had "passed away"... on Saturday night.
How Detroit go from "no real interest in him" to this? The media might make a big deal out the fact that he hates his father and now wants to make a name for himself and make the fans forget about him.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#23 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Posted Image

!!!!!!!!

9 years / $ 215 million to wear the Olde English D.

:yowza:

I can't believe it. I had no idea the Tigers were even in the market for him so this was a complete surprise.

This season is going to be great, I can't wait for April! :yowza: :siren:

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#24 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

So it's been 24 hours and I'm still mostly in disbelief about this. The greatest 3-4 hitter combo in the game, plus Miguel Cabrera's trainer tweeted this photo:

Posted Image

Cabby's looking lean (and absolutely jacked). Obviously there will be quite the learning curve over at 3B, but having him play there routinely - like 2-4 times a week should be great at preparing him for Victor Martinez's return as the full-time DH.

GoWings, I like your line-up - but I project mine like this:

Jackson - CF
Boesch - RF
Cabrera - 3B/DH
Fielder - 1B
Young - LF/DH
Avila - C
Peralta - SS
Santiago - 2B

Then the 9 spot rotating between Inge (3B), Kelly / Raburn / Dirks (LF) depending on who is DHing that day.

And as greedy as it may be, this move does leave the Tigers open to sign someone with little pop but high OBP like Juan Pierre to play LF while Young DHs. That said, I still think Cabrera will be spending a lot of time as the DH while he transitions into the 3B role and platoons with Inge.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#25 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Well, it used to be his natural position before he put on the pounds. Let's just hope Cabrera's nimble enough to not make our corner's the laughing stock of the league defensively.

#26 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

After being told he would have Miggy at 3rd and Fielder at 1st this season Rick Porcello was last seen looking up the number for the closest crisis center.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#27 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

Jackson - CF
Boesch - RF
Cabrera - 3B/DH
Fielder - 1B
Young - LF/DH
Avila - C
Peralta - SS
Santiago - 2B

Looks like you pretty much nailed it judging from Leyland's comments at the Fielder PC today. Sounds like the plan is to play Cabrera every day at third this season, provided he's in the right physical condition come Spring Training. I don't mind this too much -- Cabrera is going to have to play third with Martinez back in a year. It might be ugly, but I could see it turning out better than expected. Cabrera works incredibly hard and it's not like he doesn't have any experience at the position.

It appears left field may now be the most contested spot. Leyland mentioned Dirks/Kelly/Thomas today implying Young is likely going to DH most days. I like Dirks quite a bit. Decent with the bat, solid defense and a little bit of speed. The outfield may be pretty busy with all of the balls getting through the infield. Interesting Leyland also used Raburn today at second base and not Santiago batting 9th. Obviously this can all change, but it kind of clears up Leyland's initial plans surrounding the positional questions.

Edited by GoWings1905, 26 January 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#28 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

Posted Image

"This is a dream come true", said Fielder upon being announced as a member of the Tigers on Thursday. "This is awesome," Fielder said. "I just never thought this could happen."

#29 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

1. Jackson
2. Boesch
3. Cabrera
4. Fielder
5. Young
6. Peralta
7. Avila
8. Kelly
9. Raburn

Posted Image

Probably should preview the post next time? LOL Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by HankthaTank, 27 January 2012 - 08:22 AM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#30 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

^ I can't stop laughing at this post.

#31 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

I honestly couldn't believe this happend. Look out AL
IPB Image

#32 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

1. Jackson
2. Boesch
3. Cabrera
4. Fielder
5. Young
6. Peralta
7. Avila
8. Kelly
9. Raburn

Posted Image

Probably should preview the post next time? LOL Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

:lol: Between the video clip and the gibberish alignment and font mess, I was cracking up. It all meshed together so nicely.

#33 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

Posted Image

Sayonara.

#34 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

Posted Image

Sayonara.

I'm somewhere between, "that's fine" and "good riddance" on my emotional scale. He was - just barely - a good enough 5th starter but lost all my respect when he melted down at Victor Martinez on the mound.

#35 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

There goes Cespedes...

My link

Kind of irritating that the A's of all teams made him the highest paid cuban to come over here. Either they must really like him or they're hoping he plays up close to the contract to trade to some desperate team for prospects in the future. Either way, they're still going to be 3rd best in the division. The signing just didn't make much sense to me.

#36 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Posted Image

They should make a movie about him. Oh, wait...

#37 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

The A's are going to be pathetic still even with Cespedes. I really don't understand the move at all -- they trade away quality pitching all winter and then go and spend big money on a relatively unknown product? I know they are trying to move to San Jose and maybe the angle is to have Cespedes around for that, but they are years away from being anywhere near decent even with all of the prospects they acquired for Gonzalez and Cahill. I kinda believe the idea too that the A's will just trade him for prospects (if he pans out) a couple years from now when they are still irrelevant.

#38 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

The A's are going to be pathetic still even with Cespedes. I really don't understand the move at all -- they trade away quality pitching all winter and then go and spend big money on a relatively unknown product? I know they are trying to move to San Jose and maybe the angle is to have Cespedes around for that, but they are years away from being anywhere near decent even with all of the prospects they acquired for Gonzalez and Cahill. I kinda believe the idea too that the A's will just trade him for prospects (if he pans out) a couple years from now when they are still irrelevant.

Haven't you seen Moneyball? There's a reason behind the insansity :yowza:

Seriously though, I really don't get it either. I really don't even understand why they moved Cahill, prospects are nice but you really gotta hang onto some of the guys that pan out. It's hard to develop a future when you keep dealing away the guys trying to develop in your system.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#39 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Posted Image

Here's hoping.

#40 cusimano_brothers