• Please log in to reply
622 replies to this topic

#561 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Mt. Dew+Coke+Final Out = Shaking uncontrollably with excitement!

#562 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

AL CHAMPS!!! Sweep the Yankees and heading back to the World Series. First team in history to defeat the evil empire three consecutive meetings in the playoffs. More fun: the Tigers have beaten the Yankees in seven consecutive playoff games and are 10-3 against them since 2006.

So proud of the Tigers and the clincher today was maybe their best performance yet as the offense really clicked to complement that starting piching. I've said many bad words to describe Delmon Young, but he's nothing but clutch in the playoffs. Peralta could have easily been MVP too. Coke dominating out of the bullpen and unsung rookies like Garcia and Smyly making a major impact.

Props to Leyland, Dombrowski and certainly Mr. Ilitch for putting this product on the field for all of us to enjoy. It wasn't always pretty this season, but once they got in, you could see the potential for something exciting to happen and it has. For me personally, seeing the Tigers go deep into the playoffs is really special. The Red Wings have always done it in my life and while you try not to, expectations and success can make you take it for granted. When your team stinks for so long, 2006 and now this year is pure joy. I'm elated and thrilled for the city of Detroit.

Edited by GoWings1905, 18 October 2012 - 08:39 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#563 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:37 AM

Argh, Joe Buck and Tim McCarver again. I wish it was Gary Thorne instead.

bringit.jpg

#564 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

I believe the NSGS reported a 4.3 Earthquake centered at the corner of Brush and Adams in downtown detroit.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#565 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

49.5 hours until the World Series starts!

I love the Wings but if I could only see one of my teams win a championship for the rest of my life, it would be the Tigers.
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#566 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Giants up big in Game 7.

Looks like the Tigers are heading to San Francisco.

#567 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Finally the start of the World Series tonight. Feels like forever since the Tigers last played. Really excited to hopefully see my first baseball championship.

The rust concerns me a little, but only because 2006 happened. Different group of guys and Leyland has them prepared. Terrified of the oncoming trainwreck that will happen with Delmon in LF, but I definitely understand wanting his bat in there, especially against two lefties in Zito and Bumgarner.

The Giants are a gritty group. I feel like the Tigers need to split at least in San Francisco and try to win the series at home where they play very well. Gotta take advantage of not seeing Vogelsong and Cain until the series shifts to Detroit.

Key to the series for me is the Tigers bullpen, especially on the road. With the pitchers hitting in the NL, it means you may have to pull your starter earlier than normal. Not really ideal with the way the Tigers starters have been going and the uncertainty from the relievers. The Yankees had a lot of lefties, which is ideal for Coke. Can he get key outs against righties (I doubt it) or do we have to rely on maybe Benoit and Valverde? I would prefer to see more of Al-Al and Dotel late, but you know the other two are bound to happen sometime.

My heart says the Tigers should win this series, but that's usually when they have the biggest letdown when expectations are higher. Everyone in the media is picking them too. I will go Tigers in six and JV as MVP.

#568 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

Giants have a better chance of winning if they are patient enough to force JV to throw 120 pitches before the 9th. Their goal should be to force the bullpen in, but they won't get many big hits playing that way.

bringit.jpg

#569 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

This isn't going too well so far. JV is rattled and great at-bats from the top in Pagan, Scutaro and Sandoval. The Giants just know how to scrap for runs. Tigers look lost against Zito, which I was kinda worried about tonight. He's the type of pitcher the Tigers seemingly struggle with the most. They have no plate discipline at all.

The Giants starting pitching is very underrated and on fire the past four games. It isn't the huge advantage for Detroit most of the media proclaimed like that dope McCarver.

#570 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Come on -- who besides Leyland thought they could get Valverde right in five days? He can't be fixed. His stuff is garbage even in low leverage situations.

Make up an injury and get Villarreal on the roster immediately. Valverde is beyond done.

#571 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

This is tough to watch. The Tigers road offense continues to produce nearly nothing like most of the season. Against the Giants two weakest starters no less. Had to get to Bumgarner because the Tigers aren't going to win games decided by the bullpen especially when they come in and issue free passes galore like tonight.

The Tigers are in big trouble. That's not panic or me giving up, but just an honest feeling from watching these first two games. The Giants beat the Tigers two best starters. Now the Tigers practically have to win the next three at home to have any shot. Not impossible, but doesn't look promising with Vogelsong and Cain pitching. Add to the fact every break seems to go the Giants way, which they capitalize very well on. They have been the better team in every aspect of the game so far.

Feel awful for Fister. Third straight gem in the playoffs, toughens out getting drilled in the head and comes up with nothing again.

This is a resilient team and they won't go down easy, but everything has to improve a lot at Comerica to make this a series. Where has Fielder been all playoffs and even Miggy to a lesser extent? Clearly this group isn't built to manufacture runs by stringing hits together so we need the big guns to put a few in the seats.

#572 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

Tough games in San Francisco, without a doubt. I was really hoping they would earn a split behind Fister, who more than gave them a chance (unlike JV). Like GoWings said, though, the offense failed again.

I think a return to Detroit will do wonders for this offense. It's nice that Dirks and Berry will get into the line-up, too.

A win tonight and maybe they can jump on a struggling Cain tomorrow giving JV a chance to redeem himself on Monday.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#573 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Come on Tigers. Please score some runs soon.

#574 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Double plays, no power and the inability to string hits together or come up with a clutch one. Sounds like the Tigers all season really. Berry batting second is quite dumb too -- I love his energy, but he hasn't hit since June. Get Infante or Dirks there. Not that it ultimately matters much since Cabrera and Fielder apparently don't hit anymore either. Three runs in two games, shutout twice in a row and really haven't produced anything offensively besides Game 4 against the Yankees.

The Giants are just a much better team, but this is a pathetic showing from the Tigers. I'm throughly disappointed yet again as the Tigers fail miserably on the biggest stage as favorites. Just getting to the World Series isn't fun and acceptable anymore. They spend a lot of money and have a bunch of quality players in their primes. This is such a huge letdown.

#575 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

It all ends tomorrow
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#576 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

Well sheeeeeet.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#577 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

Get Dirks higher up the order. The boy hits everything, even if it goes foul he still keeps himself at the plate and doesn't allow balls passed him. Jackson seems to just take the mandatory first pitch strike every at bat. Fielder looks rattled and appears to be trying to chop a tree down every time he's up, just get some contact on it, get to first and the guys before you will run it in (hopefully). He doesn't need the big shot every time. Plus he was in at the plate in Game 2 to get the go-ahead run if not for a perfect throw. Just little things all going the Giants way which add up and make it look like a domination.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#578 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Game 4 of the World Series and I'm not even remotely excited to watch. That inevitable feeling of defeat stinks.

Go Tigs, maybe for the final time! Try and score a run or something.

Edited by GoWings1905, 28 October 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#579 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

well, Cabrera finally showed up, gave the tigs a 2-1 lead. First time against the giants they've had the lead. Maybe a few more guys will wake up now

#580 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

The Giants play impeccable defense. I'm incredibly jealous of the way they field the ball.

I hate bunting. Leyland bunts like he plays in the NL. Giving away free outs when you are struggling to score runs as it is drives me nuts.

I hope they can push some more runs across here soon. Don't feel safe with this bullpen and Max isn't going to be out there for 120 pitches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users