• Please log in to reply
622 replies to this topic

#41 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

Pitchers and catchers today - and a couple of other noteworthy guys.

Posted Image

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#42 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image

I like it when there's good early buzz in TC.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#43 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Those who called Braunie a cheater can now enjoy their crow. Vindicated!

Braun Wins 50-Game Suspension Appeal
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#44 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

I am a bit confused. Under the IOC's do's/dont's, athletes are provided with the master list of prohibited medications. They don't care what ailment you're treating and you get caught with any of those substances in your system, tough. Is MLB's "system" that much different than the IOC's? The bigger story: Braun's lawyers were smarter than MLB's lawyers.

#45 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

I am a bit confused. Under the IOC's do's/dont's, athletes are provided with the master list of prohibited medications. They don't care what ailment you're treating and you get caught with any of those substances in your system, tough. Is MLB's "system" that much different than the IOC's? The bigger story: Braun's lawyers were smarter than MLB's lawyers.

Actually, the league does care as long as its done within their protocol. From what I understand, any MLB player is allowed to take the medication Braun did, so long as its prescribed by a doctor and they make their respective team aware of it, who then in turn makes the league office aware. Somewhere in the middle Braun's representatives didn't let them know, hence why the dirty test was made public. Had they told them from the get go, all of this would've been avoided and no one would know about Braun's embarrassing ailment.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#46 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Actually, the league does care as long as its done within their protocol. From what I understand, any MLB player is allowed to take the medication Braun did, so long as its prescribed by a doctor and they make their respective team aware of it, who then in turn makes the league office aware. Somewhere in the middle Braun's representatives didn't let them know, hence why the dirty test was made public. Had they told them from the get go, all of this would've been avoided and no one would know about Braun's embarrassing ailment.

The 'positive test' came from an elevated level of testosterone in his blood stream when he gave his sample for the playoffs. It wasn't that they necessarily caught him with any particular substance in his system. Like NFM stated, it wasn't an illegal substance per se - but without knowledge of his medication regimen the MLB had no choice but to make the logical conclusion that the spike in his testosterone was from a PED and not STD medication.

#47 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

Thank you.

From MLB:

"We're not here to drink," said slugger David Ortiz. "We're here to play baseball. You know what I'm saying? This ain't no bar. This is an organization, a place that needs a lot of athleticism. Alcohol has nothing to do with that. People have alcohol in their houses. If you want to drink it, drink at home."

#48 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Tigers' first exhibition game is tomorrow against Florida Southern and the line-up is as follows:

1. Austin Jackson, CF
2. Brennan Boesch, RF
3. Miguel Cabrera, 3B
4. Prince Fielder, 1B
5. Delmon Young, LF
6. Alex Avila, C
7. Jhonny Peralta, SS
8. Andy Dirks, DH
9. Ryan Raburn, 2B

1-7 is just nasty, but I don't know how you have Dirks and Young in the game and don't put Dirks in left.

Bad news for AJ Burnett, too. Worse news for the Pirates.

#49 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

Bunting?

#50 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

Tigers' first exhibition game is tomorrow against Florida Southern and the line-up is as follows:

1. Austin Jackson, CF
2. Brennan Boesch, RF
3. Miguel Cabrera, 3B
4. Prince Fielder, 1B
5. Delmon Young, LF
6. Alex Avila, C
7. Jhonny Peralta, SS
8. Andy Dirks, DH
9. Ryan Raburn, 2B

1-7 is just nasty, but I don't know how you have Dirks and Young in the game and don't put Dirks in left.

Bad news for AJ Burnett, too. Worse news for the Pirates.

Yeah, definitely agree with you. 1-7 is sick and probably how it will look on Opening Day. I have no idea what the logic is to starting Young in left either with Dirks playing, but I will just pray this an exhibition-only event.

Honestly my biggest hope in Spring Training is Danny Worth makes the team over Brandon Inge. However, there are probably 5.5 million reasons working against me. I think if Leyland is intent on splitting Raburn/Santiago at second base, it makes more sense to keep Worth around. He can also rest Peralta at shortstop and he's excellent defensively at third too. I'll let it play out but I seriously think the Tigers need to just end it with Inge.

Prince reportedly hit a HR 611 feet today. Yes, 611. I have my doubts about the accuracy, but my goodness that's insane. Have fun AL Central pitchers.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#51 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

Inge is gunna surprise people this season. He is finally healthy (he had a broken hand and mono last year, and the year before he was coming off knee surgery on both knees), and has been working out like a madman this off-season, gaining 18 pounds of muscle. Don't write him off just yet. 2012 is gunna be a rebound year for Brandon.

Posted Image

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton

#52 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

I'll give Inge a chance (for the 40th time), but I seriously doubt it. Though anything will be a rebound from .197 with no power. I truly believe the only reason he's even around this spring is because of the contract. Danny Worth is equal or better defensively at this point.

If Raburn can just make routine plays at second, I want him starting. His bat would be a huge asset at the bottom of the order.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#53 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

Word is, Inge will get the start at 2B Saturday against the Braves - which I am all for. Like GoWings, I'll give him a shot there. He's certainly confident (see: cocky) about his chances there. When Leyland delivered the news about Inge's start he also said he'll plan on giving Santiago more time at SS - off the bench, of course - than anything. I love Ramon, but I could be okay with that - until we need him to play 2B.

Saw the Gage article about the 611 ft. job, I guess he measured from where it landed - so who knows how far it rolled. Still, it isn't like the ball rolled 130 feet, it was af****** bomb regardless.

#54 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

"Prince Fielder drills the first pitch he sees in a Tigers uniform for an RBI double." per the Tigers' twitter.

Welcome to Detroit.

#55 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

Posted Image

Thursday's Tigers postcard: Cabrera passes the test at 3B - and he stole a base! After committing an error on the first ball hit to him and going hitless in his first three games, he's batting .571 with 1 HR / 2 RBI / 1 SB & 0 E - granted that's 7 ABs and a handful of innings across 3 games; but I'm excited, dammit. I think he'll settle into the 3B role nicely. Sure, we'll be 'defensively weak' on on the left side and in the infield, but if he can get what he's supposed to like Peralta - then we'll be fine.

A video of the play - as well as Prince and Miggy's first home runs of the Spring - can be found here.

In other news, Dave Dombrowski said that, "if you watched [Inge] play second base, you'd think he'd played there the last 10 years". While that's obviously hyperbole, I think Inge is a real strong candidate to take that 2B job and I'm all for it. Give me .200 - .250 out of that 9 spot while playing great defense up the middle and I'm on board.

#56 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Posted Image

#57 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

I cannot wait for Opening day and the season to start. So pumped!!!

Posted Image

#58 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Posted Image

Get ready to see a lot of this.

#59 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers