• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 Baseball thread

Rate this topic

Definitely agree with you about the Jays. They were already a pretty respectable team, but this instantly propels them to contend seriously in the AL East. That division is absolutely brutal. Josh Johnson is as good as any pitcher when healthy.

The Marlins are a joke. Con taxpayers into funding a new stadium, spend money for once and then completely tear it down not even a year later. Even before today, they had unloaded Ramirez and Bell and now they just got rid of anyone left on the team making big money. The Tigers seem to like being trade partners with the Marlins, so maybe the selling spirit can continue on with Giancarlo Stanton for someone not named Nick Castellanos. :D

I'm hoping once this Torii Hunter deal happens (because I refuse to believe it won't) that the Tigers add to the bullpen for certain and possibly some depth for the back of the rotation since keeping Sanchez seems done. I don't trust Porcello and while I like Smyly, he's still developing and hasn't pitched an entire season of professional baseball. I will have to glance at the available names, but it's not like the Tigers have an abundance of quality starting pitching waiting in the minor leagues should injuries occur again. I would take Laird back as well or might even be fine with Holaday backing up Avila.

Edited by GoWings1905

Torii Hunter will sign a two-year deal with the Detroit Tigers, per Ken Rosenthal (via Twitter).

Perfect addition for all the reasons I've already stated. Now Dombrowski can focus his attention elsewhere. Bullpen help, back up catcher, and maybe pitching.

I like Laird a lot but understand the idea that he may go elsewhere for more money or playing time. Sanchez should be pursued aggressively in my opinion, but I can't imagine they'll give him what someone else will, and they shouldn't.

Bullpen help is a necessity, in my opinion. Maybe even sign someone like Madson as an insurance policy if Rondon doesn't work out. Make sure that whoever you sign understands they may be in a set up role.

I couldn't be more stoked with the news about Torii Hunter. I have always liked him as a player and person even when he was torturing the Tigers with the Twins for years. He's a perfect fit for what the team needed most this winter. Right field was such a gaping hole last season and now it's filled with a combination of solid hitting and stellar defense. 1-5 in the Tigers lineup is so sick. If Peralta and/or Avila bounce back somewhat at the bottom plus adding Infante the entire year and this appears to be a stacked batting order.

Great work, as has been the case nearly every move lately, by Dombrowski. Just a few other pieces to fill in and count the days until April.

Laird signs with the Braves. Didn't like him much with the Tigers the first time around, but I thought he was very good as Avila's backup this season. It's a pretty critical position because we saw what running Avila into the ground does to his health and hitting ability.

Miggy rightfully wins the MVP! How can you deny the Triple Crown? The best hitter in baseball finally gets the award he could win nearly every season. Man, are we ever lucky to be Tigers fans right now. The World Series stings, but watching JV and Cabrera in their primes is special.

Congrats to the new MVP in Detroit!

Miggy rightfully wins the MVP! How can you deny the Triple Crown? The best hitter in baseball finally gets the award he could win nearly every season. Man, are we ever lucky to be Tigers fans right now. The World Series stings, but watching JV and Cabrera in their primes is special.

Congrats to the new MVP in Detroit!

Agreed. I have an obsessed Tigers fan as a close friend who always likes to remind us how special this Tigers team really is. We are a fortunate bunch of fans these days and it's pretty remarkable considering how bad they were throughout my entire childhood.

Nice to see a change in narrative.

Speaking of which, how about the Blue Jays going all out in the East? Now they've signed Melky Cabrera and suddenly look ready to contend with the Yankees. The Rays are always around but are basically Longoria and starting pitching, the Red Sox are in apparently in full-on rebuilding mode, and the Orioles can't be expected to repeat last season's performance. I think the Jays will be a lot of fun to watch this season.

I have a soft spot for Jhonny, but I can understand the want for upgraded defense - especially on Cabrera's left - in the infield.

I feel like my opinion of a potential trade comes largely from return. Drew is a good defensive shortstop, but his offensive numbers have declined steadily for the last 3 years. Plus, he declined a $10 M option, so I wonder what it'd take to sign him.

If there was anyway to turn Peralta into a package (with Castellanos/Garcia, and more) that sees Justin Upton come back, then I'd be much more receptive. However, if the return was a mid level prospect, I don't know how I feel about it.

Any tips for someone trying to get into Baseball? I did read and printed the rules so I am okayish I guess from that side, but watching games is really boring. You have minutes of virtually nothing happening at all, so is it better to just watch the last innings or maybe focus on some "star players" like Pr. Fielder?

Any tips for someone trying to get into Baseball? I did read and printed the rules so I am okayish I guess from that side, but watching games is really boring. You have minutes of virtually nothing happening at all, so is it better to just watch the last innings or maybe focus on some "star players" like Pr. Fielder?

I may not be the best person to answer this because I watch baseball every night and never get sick of it. I understand the angle that games might be boring due to all of the down time where the ball isn't getting hit somewhere. That being said, I think you will find that the more baseball you take in, the more you will pick up on the small parts of the game that add intrigue. There's so much going on that affects strategies and situations. Focusing on star players is never a bad idea. We're lucky and get to see Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander here and those two are about as exciting as they come in the sport.

Edited by GoWings1905

I was really high on Drew, but it seems as though he's got high demands and his defensive statics have been in decline the past 3 years. That said, he's still a better defensive SS than Jhonny.

Rumor mill continues to churn in Arizona and it sounds as though OF Jason Kubel is available. Word out of Seattle is that the Mariners are interested in Boesch as well. I'd love to see a 3-team trade that sends Boesch, Peralta + and gets Kubel and Brendan Ryan in return. Kubel hit 30 HR last year, can play multiple positions and Ryan is one of the best defensive SS in the game and with another bat in the line up we could afford Ryan's crappy offense.

I really like that trade idea. Brendan Ryan is indeed one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball. Him and Infante up the middle would take some serious pressure off the umm... anchors at the corners. I just want Boesch gone too -- he has no spot on this team anymore with Hunter, nor should he. Berry is more valuable off the bench because of the speed factor.

I don't get the sense DD is desperate to make another "big" move. Maybe wait until January and sign a reliever or backup catcher possibly. I would prefer they don't waste Avisail Garcia in a strictly platoon role if they intend on utilizing that in left with Dirks. Would have been quite pleased with the rumored Scott Hairston signing, but it didn't happen.The starting pitching does worry me a little with no Sanchez around. Wouldn't mind a low risk deal (Brad Penny type) for some depth.

Looks like the Tigs may have a new main challenger in the Central next season. The Royals gave up a ton, but they addressed their most glaring weakness. James Shields is an ace for them and Wade Davis is young and has potential. Typical trade too for the Rays and they will make out better long-term.

I see the Royals finishing second at this point. The gap is still rather significant between the Tigers and everyone else though. The White Sox were a fluke for most of last year and I would be surprised if they can duplicate a serious run for the division again. The Indians need starting pitching and the Twins are horrible.

The LA baseball teams are out of control. Josh Hamilton to the Angels, to go with Trout and Pujols. Both the Hamilton and Pujols deals are going to look really bad sooner than later, but that lineup is stacked in the short-term. Not sold on their starting pitching yet though. I don't think Tommy Hanson and Joe Blanton scare anyone after Weaver and Wilson.

Meanwhile, looks like Anibal Sanchez may unfortunately be signing with the Cubs soon. Didn't anticipate the Tigers being able to retain him, but it definitely changes the look of the starting rotation entirely. Porcello can't have another inconsistent season.

Pretty surprising turn of events to see Sanchez wind up back in a Tigers uniform. While a lot of people are now pointing to Porcello as trade bait, I'd only like to see him go if it brought real value back to Detroit. A trade straight up for a closer would really suck.

Regardless, you've got to consider their rotation one of, if not the best rotation in the AL.

Pretty surprising turn of events to see Sanchez wind up back in a Tigers uniform. While a lot of people are now pointing to Porcello as trade bait, I'd only like to see him go if it brought real value back to Detroit. A trade straight up for a closer would really suck.

Regardless, you've got to consider their rotation one of, if not the best rotation in the AL.

Absolutely agree. I think the Cubs were ultimately just used to get Sanchez the deal he wanted with the Tigers. I love he's staying though. The ace in JV followed up by probably three number twos. Definitely the best rotation in the AL, right there with the Nationals for all of baseball.

I also don't want to trade Porcello for a closer. The Tigers ideally need a young shortstop and/or starting pitcher back in return. The rumor of Porcello for Bourjos was laughable and I like Bourjos. If there isn't a really good deal out there for the Tigers, then hang on to Porcello and have some insane pitching depth.

Wouldn't mind taking a shot with Brian Wilson in the closer's role. I would be stunned if DD goes into Spring Training letting a rookie close games on a team trying to win the World Series. Nobody internally is cut out for the job if Rondon isn't ready.

I also don't want to trade Porcello for a closer. The Tigers ideally need a young shortstop and/or starting pitcher back in return. The rumor of Porcello for Bourjos was laughable and I like Bourjos. If there isn't a really good deal out there for the Tigers, then hang on to Porcello and have some insane pitching depth.

Wouldn't mind taking a shot with Brian Wilson in the closer's role. I would be stunned if DD goes into Spring Training letting a rookie close games on a team trying to win the World Series. Nobody internally is cut out for the job if Rondon isn't ready.

I think Wilson is an interesting option. Shouldn't cost too much, given the risk associated with his two Tommy John surgeries. He won't be ready for awhile yet, but I'd take a chance on him. I definitely want to see them get another proven arm to bolster the 'pen for the exact reasons you outlined.

I also completely agree about the rumored Porcello-for-Bourjos move. Of course, Tigers fans everywhere drool at the idea of Porcello-for-Trumbo, but I can't imagine the Angels parting with a thumper who has some speed and can field his position just fine when they really don't have to. Unless Kid Rick can bring back a quality shortstop or corner outfielder, I don't see the point in trading him. I understand that he is the team's most valuable chip whose stock is still considered on the rise and whose cost will go up next year, but there's nothing wrong with having a plethora of good starting pitching - ask Tampa Bay.

Angels trade 1B/DH Kendrys Morales to Seattle for LHP Jason Vargas.

Not that a trade was imminent or even likely between Detroit and either Anaheim or Seattle but, they did seem to be fits and were often mentioned in discussions with the Angels linked to Porcello and Seattle to Brennan Boesch. Granted, a Porcello-for-Morales trade would have been only slightly more useless than a Boesch-for-Vargas, so maybe the pieces didn't fit as well as it had initially seemed. Like I said the other day, Trumbo wasn't going anywhere and now the Angels have no need to trade him. I'm not sold on Porcello being shipped out, anyway, so that's fine.

I would have liked to have moved Boesch for something, though - bullpen arm, infielder, decent prospects maybe. The Angels-Mariners trade doesn't kill Boesch being shipped out, maybe even to Seattle, but it probably hurts things a little as Seattle seemed to be the only interested suitor.

It's a weird feeling - without hockey I want the Tigers to be making moves and headlines to keep the sports fan in me entertained, but truthfully they don't need to do much of anything to have a complete team. Sure, a more athletic SS would be nice and would make the line-up rock solid, but it isn't likely and isn't exactly necessary. Truthfully, the only pieces the Tigers need going forward are in the bullpen and left field. I'd really be happy seeing Detroit make any number of additions to the bullpen and Scott Hairston seems like a perfect fit as a platoon partner for Andy Dirks from his numbers against lefties to his estimated cost, but we'll see what happens.