• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

1/21 GDT: Blue Jackets 2 at Red Wings 3 (SO)

Rate this topic

One or two seasons ago we could score 2 shootout goals and still lose the game due to Jimmy's inability to make 1 on 1 saves. But now he's developed into an elite goaltender, there is no stopping the Wings in shootouts. I still hope Hudler never sees the shootout again, though.

James T Howard - "It's just about being patient as a goalie. Let them run out of room and have to make a move and just push the puck. It's working on it in practice. It's also having fun out there."

The Wings have benefited from some extra points in the shootout. If points were like they should be - 2 points for Regulation and Overtime win and 1 point for a tie (no shootouts), here's what the west would look like:

St. Louis 62

Vancouver 60

Detroit 59

Chicago 57

Nashville 54

San Jose 48

Los Angeles 48

Calgary 47

Dallas 47

Minnesota 46

Colorado 45

Phoenix 45

Anaheim 37

Edmonton 36

Columbus 28

We'd be 3 points out of first and still 2 points above Chicago with a game in hand. St. Louis and Vancouver would be ahead of us.

Pavel pulled a beauty deke and hit the post on the first shootout he missed, then last game pulled his beauty move only to get robbed... so I wouldnt start worrying. But Hudler needs to be moved back in the shootout lineup he is terrible. Fil should defs be one of the 1st 3 guys... Pavs, Fil, Bert.

Hudler hasn't been good on the shootout this year but Fil has only even taken a handful in his career. The only consistent shooter has been Dats who is one of the career league leaders.

I think that it's all about who has the "hot hand" at the time. That said, the league average is less than 40%. The sample sizes for most guys are just to small to reach any meaningful conclusions. Dats is an exception because he always is one of the first 3.

Hudler hasn't been good on the shootout this year but Fil has only even taken a handful in his career. The only consistent shooter has been Dats who is one of the career league leaders.

I think that it's all about who has the "hot hand" at the time. That said, the league average is less than 40%. The sample sizes for most guys are just to small to reach any meaningful conclusions. Dats is an exception because he always is one of the first 3.

Good point. It's easy to forget that the average is to score less than half the time.

Before he left for the KHL Slava Kozlov was the king of the shootout. He went 27 for 46, or 57.8%.

Every year, we complain about other teams getting unfair shootout points. I guess this season, we're the team getting the benefit of a point system I don't agree with.

Next thing to be said is that shootouts won't help us in the playoffs. :D

But the benefit that we are getting is not as much as our competitors. If you count shootout wins AND loser points (for OT/Shootout losses) here's the breakdown

Minnesota 10

Los Angeles 10

Columbus 8

San Jose 8

Chicago 7

Colorado 7

Phoenix 7

St. Louis 6

Vancouver 6

Detroit 5

Calgary 5

Dallas 5

Anaheim 5

Nashville 4

Edmonton 4

We only have 5 of these extra points. Only Nashville and Edmonton have less. Look at Minny and LA. They have 5 more free points than us.