Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

1/21 GDT: Blue Jackets 2 at Red Wings 3 (SO)

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#221 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

If Z gets suspended then the league is clearly headed towards no-contact hockey. That was the absolute minimum contact that could have been made, what else do they really expect players to do at that point? If anything, it looked like the contact he was making was so he didn't slam dude into the boards to begin with and then they rule it the way they did. Ludicrous if you ask me.

He won't be suspended.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#222 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

Likely. I'd be surprised if he takes him up on the challenge, though. Hopefully he proves me wrong. If the game gets out of hand, its a sure thing Boll and Dorsett will be stirring things up.

I've always wanted to hit a game with fellow LGWers. Enjoy the game :thumbup:

We'll be trying to have a get together at the end of March for the games against Nashville and Florida. We already have our seats but that doesn't mean others can't get a group of seats as well.

Been home for a while from the game but finally able to come post. Was a good game. I was at the other end of the ice for the Z penalty so all I saw was the Columbus guy on the ice in pain. As soon as Z was going towards the bench I knew it had to be bad...they never showed a replay of it at the Joe so I wasn't sure what exactly took place. After seeing the replay he didn't do anything wrong, the guy was on his way into the boards at a bad angle.

I was 4th row from the ice in the corner by Jimmy for the shoot out and that gave me a whole new perspective of how the goalies play. He really comes far out of the net on those guys, made me nervous but that shows how talent they have that they leave so much open space behind them and are still able to stop that puck. Great game for Jimmy as always!

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#223 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

either cleary or flip should go infront of huds. cleary does a forhand-backhand usually, remember his playoff penalty shot vs calgary a few years ago?

Yeah, Hudler hasn't looked too hot in shootouts lately, although Datsyuk has missed his last 3 shots as well.

I'd put Franzen in Hudler's spot. Don't know why he doesn't take shootouts more often. He has a more dangerous variety of shots.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#224 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

Pavel pulled a beauty deke and hit the post on the first shootout he missed, then last game pulled his beauty move only to get robbed... so I wouldnt start worrying. But Hudler needs to be moved back in the shootout lineup he is terrible. Fil should defs be one of the 1st 3 guys... Pavs, Fil, Bert.

#225 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

He won't be suspended.

Aye. There's not a chance. It was not deliberate contact. And Shanahan knows from personal experience that Zetterberg is not even a physical player, let alone a reckless one.

#226 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:09 AM

One or two seasons ago we could score 2 shootout goals and still lose the game due to Jimmy's inability to make 1 on 1 saves. But now he's developed into an elite goaltender, there is no stopping the Wings in shootouts. I still hope Hudler never sees the shootout again, though.

James T Howard - "It's just about being patient as a goalie. Let them run out of room and have to make a move and just push the puck. It's working on it in practice. It's also having fun out there."
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#227 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

The Wings have benefited from some extra points in the shootout. If points were like they should be - 2 points for Regulation and Overtime win and 1 point for a tie (no shootouts), here's what the west would look like:

St. Louis 62
Vancouver 60
Detroit 59
Chicago 57
Nashville 54
San Jose 48
Los Angeles 48
Calgary 47
Dallas 47
Minnesota 46
Colorado 45
Phoenix 45
Anaheim 37
Edmonton 36
Columbus 28

We'd be 3 points out of first and still 2 points above Chicago with a game in hand. St. Louis and Vancouver would be ahead of us.
Do or do not. There is no try

#228 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Pavel pulled a beauty deke and hit the post on the first shootout he missed, then last game pulled his beauty move only to get robbed... so I wouldnt start worrying. But Hudler needs to be moved back in the shootout lineup he is terrible. Fil should defs be one of the 1st 3 guys... Pavs, Fil, Bert.

Hudler hasn't been good on the shootout this year but Fil has only even taken a handful in his career. The only consistent shooter has been Dats who is one of the career league leaders.

I think that it's all about who has the "hot hand" at the time. That said, the league average is less than 40%. The sample sizes for most guys are just to small to reach any meaningful conclusions. Dats is an exception because he always is one of the first 3.

#229 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hudler hasn't been good on the shootout this year but Fil has only even taken a handful in his career. The only consistent shooter has been Dats who is one of the career league leaders.

I think that it's all about who has the "hot hand" at the time. That said, the league average is less than 40%. The sample sizes for most guys are just to small to reach any meaningful conclusions. Dats is an exception because he always is one of the first 3.

Good point. It's easy to forget that the average is to score less than half the time.

Before he left for the KHL Slava Kozlov was the king of the shootout. He went 27 for 46, or 57.8%.

#230 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

Every year, we complain about other teams getting unfair shootout points. I guess this season, we're the team getting the benefit of a point system I don't agree with.

Next thing to be said is that shootouts won't help us in the playoffs. :D
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#231 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

either cleary or flip should go infront of huds. cleary does a forhand-backhand usually, remember his playoff penalty shot vs calgary a few years ago?

LOL Cleary. I'd put Commodore in before Cleary. I'd trade for Lebda and put him in before putting in Cleary.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#232 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Every year, we complain about other teams getting unfair shootout points. I guess this season, we're the team getting the benefit of a point system I don't agree with.

Next thing to be said is that shootouts won't help us in the playoffs. :D

But the benefit that we are getting is not as much as our competitors. If you count shootout wins AND loser points (for OT/Shootout losses) here's the breakdown

Minnesota 10
Los Angeles 10
Columbus 8
San Jose 8
Chicago 7
Colorado 7
Phoenix 7
St. Louis 6
Vancouver 6
Detroit 5
Calgary 5
Dallas 5
Anaheim 5
Nashville 4
Edmonton 4

We only have 5 of these extra points. Only Nashville and Edmonton have less. Look at Minny and LA. They have 5 more free points than us.