• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Scott Gomez

Rate this topic

http://montreal.openfile.ca/blog/curator-blog/curated-news/2012/habs-scott-gomez-still-scoreless-one-year-drought-mark-approache

It's been almost a year since Scott Gomez scored a goal. He last scored on February 5, 2011. He's got 5 points in 17 games this season. Can't believe he continues to make $7.5 million per year. If he plays 40 games this year, that equates to $187,500 per game, if my math is correct. No chance anyone will take him with that contract in a trade.

What is Montreal supposed to do in a situation like this? And do you guys think he is the most overpaid/overrated player of all time?

Remember when people wanted the Wings to trade Datsyuk for him? Glad Holland is in charge.

Montreal should just take the hit and throw him in the minors. That contract was too much to begin with but he was a pretty good player when he signed with the Rangers.

Guest Crymson

For a second there, I thought you were going to say that we should trade for him.

He's awful. Just awful.

http://montreal.openfile.ca/blog/curator-blog/curated-news/2012/habs-scott-gomez-still-scoreless-one-year-drought-mark-approache

It's been almost a year since Scott Gomez scored a goal. He last scored on February 5, 2011. He's got 5 points in 17 games this season. Can't believe he continues to make $7.5 million per year. If he plays 40 games this year, that equates to $187,500 per game, if my math is correct. No chance anyone will take him with that contract in a trade.

What is Montreal supposed to do in a situation like this? And do you guys think he is the most overpaid/overrated player of all time?

With reports that a new CBA/cap structure on the way would include a buyout period like they had coming out of the lockout, I would think Gomez is an automatic for it.

With reports that a new CBA/cap structure on the way would include a buyout period like they had coming out of the lockout, I would think Gomez is an automatic for it.

Or perhaps if the cap goes down or stays the same they might have an amnesty clause like the NBA did this past year. It'd be awesome.

the dipietro contract was ridiculous with its complete lack of "what ifs?" but at the time he was supposed to be the next great goalie, and the organization wanted to build around a good, young goalie.

it's hard to say what is the worst contract ever because i don't know a lot about non-modern era deals.

one that still makes me scratch my head is the finger deal to toronto simply because i have no idea what toronto saw in him after 2 years of professional hockey to warrant that kind of money.

a 4 year contract for $14 million they're still eating as he's spent the last two of them with the marlies.

Well if I'm the owner of the Habs ... I'd have to buy him out this off-season. Considering he has 2 years left ... by cutting his 7.5 million off my books, I get a 3.5 cap hit for the next 2 years but save about 7 million in the process and have an extra 3.5 million for the next 2 years. After the 2 years the cap hit will go off as well. IMO it's the best situation for the owner and a good situation for the team. Now if the owner doesn't care, then the best option for the club would be to send him to the AHL, hope someone picks him up threw waivers for free or let him rot in the AHL.

I really think they buy him out this off-season!

When I saw "Scott Gomez" on the board I was like no f*cking way?? Until I saw the op an felt a great sigh of relief. Gomez has to be the worst signing ever...and that was the New York one! Ive said it once and Ill say it again Montreal is f*cked.

TEXT CAP HIT BREAKDOWN (for copying and pasting)

Scott Gomez buyout from CapGeek.com

2012-13: $3,523,810 cap hit

2013-14: $4,523,810 cap hit

2014-15: $1,666,667 cap hit

2015-16: $1,666,667 cap hit

And you only actually pay him $1.6M every year.

Yes, I would do this.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Can Gomez score against the Capitals, or will he pass one year without scoring?

This site is great: http://didgomezscore.com/

Gives you the answer to the question DID GOMEZ SCORE LAST GAME? "NO", and a ticker showing how many days, hours, minutes and seconds has passed since Gomez's last goal. Also show how much money the man has been paid since his last goal, and of course a video of a sweet memory: "At 18:34 of the second period, Scott Gomez puts home a game-winning shot past Martin Biron to help lift the Montreal Canadiens past the New York Rangers on February 5, 2011"

I don't get why you buy this guy out... Just put his ass in the Minors and you still pay him but he doesn't count against the cap. Buy him out and it counts against the cap.

If I was Montreal I would trade everyone away I could and get under the floor and call Gomez up to barely get the team over the floor... then go to the lottery hoping for a s***tsburgh or Oilers style team fix. Extreme youth.

The reason an a GM buys out a player is that he saves $$$.

The owner saves money. The GM saves nothing against the cap, because the buy out money stays ON the books. If the GM banishes the player to the minors 100% of the money comes off the books, just the owner needs to keep cutting checks.

I say let them rot in the minors.

I remember saying I wanted Gomez...

It was to be our new third line center making like 2.75 in my mind. Yeah, that is his role. Not top line center.

If some random guy in Detroit knows this, the GM in Montreal should.