• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

I'm gonna say nothing. It almost looks as though he had his hand on the guy's back merely to steady himself. If that's the case, then it's purely a matter of balance, and not his fault at all that the guy went into the boards.

We shall see.
Posted Image

#22 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

If Zetterberg is at fault here, its not for shoving him from behind, but for not bracing him enough. At that speed, both are making an attempt for the puck. Expecting to get ridden into the boards, the Columbus player leaned back into Zetterberg, causing him to lose balance backwards before slamming feet-first into the boards. Expecting that incident could happen with any less interaction from Zetterberg seems impossible; barely a hand on his back going into what is traditionally a much more physical incident in hockey.

The guy "heard footsteps" braced himself against a hit that didn't come, and lost his balance. Ironically, he probably would have been in better shape if Matt Cooke was trailing him on the play.... OK... maybe not Cooke. :P

Edited by b.shanafan14, 22 January 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#23 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Since we have a game tomorrow, even if we don't hear from Shanny today, I bet Babs is counting on no Z tomorrow. While I do not think this was worthy of a suspension at all, Shanahan might get forced into making an example of Z (soft on the Wings much? etc.) due to perception.

Either way, this doesn't bother me much. Z and everyone else knows it wasn't malicious. A day off won't hurt him, or us.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#24 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Darren Dreger says no supplemental discipline for Z. Source

#25 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

thanks! :) Nice, if they get this right, I will be happy.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#26 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

If Hank got suspended I would be angry. I don't see it happening. He makes no attempt to push or hit the defenseman, and tries to go around him with his stick. This happens all the time. Where else are you going to put your hand in that situation? Try it, your reflex will be to put your hand up and on the players back to reach around them, not let it flop around behind you. If it were reversed and Nash did it, I would say the same thing. Unfortunate accident, undeserving of any additional punishment.

#27 Datsyuk4Life

Datsyuk4Life

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

I disagree with a suspension, completely accidental because the Columbus player lost an edge and he looked ready to get hit by Zetterberg before the hit happened.

Edited by Datsyuk4Life, 22 January 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#28 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

It's good to see both the Wings camp and BJs camp come together and recognize it was a fluke injury and that Zata isnt that type of player.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#29 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Uh Oh

AnsarKhanMLive Ansar Khan
Wings GM Ken Holland said in a text: "I'm told there will be suspension for (Zetterberg).''

We'll see.... I'm hoping he, I mean Ansar, typed it wrong and meant to say no suspension

Edited by HockeytownRules19, 22 January 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#30 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

So Dreger says no suspension and Holland says there is one...Two good sources...two different answers.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#31 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

The whole "didn't extend the elbow" argument doesn't work. I feel with the language that has been thrown around, any sort of contact that could have contributed to placing a player in a dangerous or vulnerable position will get hit with the books. Not saying it's the right thing to do or good for the game, because hockey is definitely a contact sport. I just feel the way the suspensions are being rolled out, they are trying to discourage players from challenging someone for the puck in that type of situation.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#32 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

YAY! No Suspension!

http://www.mlive.com...terberg_wo.html

Edited by HockeytownRules19, 22 January 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#33 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

Khan with a typo...

#34 95MadeMeCry

95MadeMeCry

Surrey Wingdinger

• 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

AnsarKhanMLive Ansar Khan
Wings GM Ken Holland said in a text: "I'm told there will be suspension for (Zetterberg).''

nevermind typo

Edited by 95MadeMeCry, 22 January 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#35 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,328 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Holland sucks at twitter. :D
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#36 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,882 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Not only was it one of the most bogus 5 minute majors I've ever seen, he won't and shouldn't be suspended. It was an unfortunate play but not malicious in any way. The league is getting way to pussified over this type of stuff. 5 minutes for that? And talk of a suspension? I miss the 90's :lol:

#NOMOREKINDL

#37 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

None and they should rescind the game misconduct off his record.

Ference gets 3.

Edited by RedWingsRox, 22 January 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#38 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

Great news! He'll be needed against the Blues. Took a lot of courage from Shanny.<br>

Edited by MidMichSteve, 22 January 2012 - 05:30 PM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#39 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

i agree with the no call. there is a difference between having your hand on someones back and actually pushing them. z's contact was the equivalent of a hand check in basketball. it had a miniscule effect (if any) in the way the jackets guy went into the boards.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#40 Zetterling

Zetterling

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

It was the right decision. I don't know the exact rules but it was clear Z was not pushing him into the boards. There are a lot of hits like that that go under review and don't get punished.