• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/23 GDT : Blues 1 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

^^ I'm pretty sure that wasn't a playoff game

Yes, you were right!

If this link works, I believe this is Howard/Crosby (03/22/10)

Edited by zztop40

There is so much crying going on over at the Blues board. They are convinced that the NBC announcers are in love with the Red Wings, that Stuart should be suspended for his hit, and that Howard instigated the fight at the end.

Also that Helm should have had a penalty when Carlo got called, and that Franzen's goal should have been discounted.

There is so much crying going on over at the Blues board. They are convinced that the NBC announcers are in love with the Red Wings, that Stuart should be suspended for his hit, and that Howard instigated the fight at the end.

Also that Helm should have had a penalty when Carlo got called, and that Franzen's goal should have been discounted.

Bunch of whiners. I read it too, honestly they're not on our level yet they haven't done s***. They have no right to call us Dead Wings. Go win 4 cups and come back and talk that noise blues fans.

I enjoyed this game. It was hard-fought, physical and there was bad blood. This reminded me of those games between these teams from ten years ago. When the Blues would start to lose, they'd get all sore and start gooning it up. The Blues had tougher teams than Detroit back then but there were some memorable scraps. I loved the response to the physical play from the Wings tonight. This was a good win for the Wings. Their schedule will be friendly down the stretch as they play a home-heavy remainder while their rivals are mostly on the road from here on out.

Best moment of the game was when the JLA music guy played, "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" during the scrum in front of Howard.

DS is part of the "B" team, in a sense. I have always liked him.

+

Agreed. I am no Pierre fan, but he doesn't bother me really. Its amazing how much more tolerable this team is than the Doc/Edzo/Pierre one.

+

I really like this team, we have it all this year. NBC pointed out how gritty we are this year, and I agree. Lots of sand paper, as they call it, on this team. We're far from soft, as some people here think.

I think the two straight 2nd round exits are going to help this year in the playoffs. We're more rested.

Anyway, great game!

ericsson standing around like a little puppy dog

why the f*** isn't he getting in there bashing some skulls

Ericsson is playing better with every game and using his body more. He's doing fine, thankyouverymuch. <_<

I'm sorry, I'm must be having trouble seeing, because it looks to me like the big tough Blues have pissy pants when the Wings hit too hard.

:thumbup:

I was going to post something funny in retort, but I realized in my attempt that their whining was actually a lot more comedic than what I had planned.

I was at the game tonight, and it was a great game to watch after the first 10 minutes.

- Pavel was the best player on the ice... every shift he was creating harvoc.

- Nick was a very close 2nd to pavs out there... he was genius defensively, shooting the puck well, knocking pucks out of the air, and bbroke up a 2 on 1 in the 3rd which I consider a game saving play

- Jimmy Howard was outstanding again... love the way he got into it at the end

With those positives, I was very disappointed with the Zetterberg line. Hudler could NOT control the puck tonight, and Hank seems afraid to go to the dirty areas to score goals. More than anything, Hank really needs to get going.

Overall great game by the Wings

Lot of bitching about a lack of response to the Howard scuffle at the end there. Overall I think this game was a perfect example of why the Wings DON'T need another tough guy. They matched the Blues toughness PERFECTLY - the only difference was the Blues took stupid penalties and the Wings didn't. The final scuffle was fine by me. I don't mind seeing Howard stand up for himself - everyone else was tied up anyways.

Anyways, it was a really fun game to watch. I was impressed with the effort tonight.

And THIS one, too. :)

I was at the game tonight, and it was a great game to watch after the first 10 minutes.

- Pavel was the best player on the ice... every shift he was creating harvoc.

- Nick was a very close 2nd to pavs out there... he was genius defensively, shooting the puck well, knocking pucks out of the air, and bbroke up a 2 on 1 in the 3rd which I consider a game saving play

- Jimmy Howard was outstanding again... love the way he got into it at the end

With those positives, I was very disappointed with the Zetterberg line. Hudler could NOT control the puck tonight, and Hank seems afraid to go to the dirty areas to score goals. More than anything, Hank really needs to get going.

Overall great game by the Wings

:thumbup:

This is interesting:

19:58

David Backes: 2 Minutes for Roughing Jimmy Howard

David Backes: 10 Minute Misconduct Jimmy Howard

Alex Pietrangelo: 2 Minutes for Roughing Jimmy Howard

Alex Pietrangelo: 10 Minute Misconduct Jimmy Howard

Jimmy Howard: 2 Minutes for Roughing David Backes

Make it happen, Shanny!

Some interesting quotes from the recap:

Stewart was given a penalty for instigating and a 10- minute misconduct, but didn’t regret it because he said Pietrangelo has to be protected.

“I have no problem doing that,” Stewart said. “That was definitely more playoff hockey. Physical from the start. Trying to set the tone against a rival and somebody who you’ll probably face in the playoffs.”

I have no problem with you taking dumb penalties that cost your team the game either, Chris.

“It appeared to me that they thought they could be physical with us,” Detroit coach Mike Babcock said.

This just made me laugh.

Finally, a comparison:

“I think they picked it up in the second period and we got discouraged when they took the lead,” St. Louis forward Patrik Berglund said.

“We played good in stretches, but we crumbled when things got tight,” Blues forward Jamie Langenbrunner said. “We got those retaliatory penalties. That takes away our momentum and gets us out of our comfort zone.”

Verus...

“We have such a calm team,” said Jimmy Howard, who made 21 saves for his league-leading 30th win. “Nothing seems to rattle us.”

Overall Detroit was the better team tonight. They deserved to win.

With that said...I had some issues with a couple things.

Detroit's two power play goals probably shouldn't have happened...I'll explain.

1) I don't think Stewart should have gotten an instigator penalty. Yes, he approached Stuart and wanted to fight...that's obvious...but Stuart dropped his gloves first. Stuart was a willing participant. Stewart didn't drop his gloves and jump on Stuart. I disagreed with that call. You see fights start all of the time where one guy goes over to another guy and gives him a shot and says let's go, and the other guy agrees and the gloves come off. That's the way I saw this...Stewart just went a long way to fight Stuart.

2) Helm's hit on Pietrangelo late in the 3rd was textbook interference. Petro was skating for the puck and he seemed to be a good 5 or 6 feet from the puck, hadn't touched it yet, and Helm destroys him. If Petro would have had the puck, it would have been a great hit...but the only problem was he didn't have the puck. Assuming Carlo still retaliates, it should have been 2 minutes on Helm and 2 minutes on Carlo. It should have been 4 on 4 with 3 1/2 minutes left instead of a Detroit PP.

My first point is debatable. I'm sure you can make a case that Stewart should have gotten the instigator and argue that...we could debate that all day since it comes down to rule interpretation. But I don't see the 2nd point being debatable at all. It's clearly interference on Helm, and just not called.

Congrats on the win. Like I said, Detroit was the better team in this game.

Maybe we can even up the season series on the next game in St. Louis...and hopefully we beat Pittsburgh tomorrow to get right back to within 1 pt. of the Wings.