• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/23 GDT : Blues 1 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

You can talk about the game day thread, but when you get on a pedastal about refereeing in a game where your team was behind the entire third period on our own board, you are going to come off as petty.

This is a Red Wings board and it is going to be biased no matter what you say. And if you have been paying attention most bitching has been during losses has been in regards to the team's play, and not marginal calls that don't directly affect the outcome of the game.

You can be annoyed. Just don't expect anyone here to sympathize. You've been involved in little trash talk with us so we are going to enjoy extending our lead against you and call you out when you resort to petty discussions about penalties.

Let's not forget that the Blues had opportunities to score on their own powerplay and didn't. They scored one goal off a bad line change and didn't find the back of the net for the rest of the game.

Fixed it for you. St. Louis only had one powerplay the entire game.

In all seriousness, St. Louis committed some pretty dumb penalties, but I thought that they should have gotten a couple more opportunities in the game. Have the Wings found themselves behind the eight ball in terms of getting calls in some games? Yea, and I think its fitting that we had a game where the opposing team found themselves hit with penalties while we got the bounces.

Blues fans sure are butthurt over on their forum.

If the roles were reversed, you can bet the Wings fans here would be butthurt. Only one powerplay the entire game? A couple dumb penalties, but the refs would still be blamed for the loss. Thats the way ardent fans of a team roll though, or at least the ones who believe that every year is a cup year and if they don't win a cup, its the league or the refs fault.

Guest Crymson

Once again, I say the better team always wins a 7 game series.

Good teams don't blame the refs or misfortune for losing games. Good teams rise above the adversity and win games.

And when Gretzky high-sticks Gilmour in OT of game seven, draws blood, receives no penalty, and goes on to score the series winner soon afterward?

And when Gretzky high-sticks Gilmour in OT of game seven, draws blood, receives no penalty, and goes on to score the series winner soon afterward?

If you are the losing team and are whining about that non call, then its an excuse.

If you are the winning team, then you feel good about yourself.

The sooner people realize that the best team is the one that is able to overcome obstacles and fight through adversity is the one that wins the cup, the better off we all will be. Until we get to that point, we will have 16 groups of fans come playoff time believing their team is the one that should win the cup and if they don't, then the league or the refs are against them.

If you are the losing team and are whining about that non call, then its an excuse.

If you are the winning team, then you feel good about yourself.

The sooner people realize that the best team is the one that is able to overcome obstacles and fight through adversity is the one that wins the cup, the better off we all will be. Until we get to that point, we will have 16 groups of fans come playoff time believing their team is the one that should win the cup and if they don't, then the league or the refs are against them.

That's just rah rah talk...sometning you hear players say to the media.

Call it whatever you want...excuses, reasons, etc.

The facts are that sometimes bad calls are made and sometimes those bad calls cost teams games. Period.

Well, Nightfall, I think you are underselling the role that luck plays in the outcome quite a bit. I know people hate to hear it, but it's the truth, and hockey is probably the sport most susceptible to randomness and chance, including blown or missed calls by referees. I think there have been plenty of times where the better team in a series has lost because they didn't get any breaks. Granted, a much lower percentage of the time than when the better team wins because they are better.

I also happen to think that all of the above is totally irrelevant though. It doesn't matter if you have the better team and play better; you don't necessarily win because of any of that. You win because you win; the final score is the only thing that ultimately matters.

Its not interference if both players are challenging for the puck. Look at when kronwall got knocked on his ass earlier in the season challenging for a puck which led to a the GWG, cant remember who we were playing though.

No, that's not accurate at all.

Helm was not going after the puck. He made no attempt to play the puck.

Apparently, I watched a different game than some of you.

This is interesting:

19:58

David Backes: 2 Minutes for Roughing Jimmy Howard

David Backes: 10 Minute Misconduct Jimmy Howard

Alex Pietrangelo: 2 Minutes for Roughing Jimmy Howard

Alex Pietrangelo: 10 Minute Misconduct Jimmy Howard

Jimmy Howard: 2 Minutes for Roughing David Backes

Make it happen, Shanny!

:thumbup: Thanks for putting this on here.

Some interesting quotes from the recap:

I have no problem with you taking dumb penalties that cost your team the game either, Chris.

This just made me laugh.

Finally, a comparison:

Verus...

I love it when this s*** happens. Especially to the Blues. :sly:

Where are you reading that? stltoday.com? That place is a mess of idiocy.

It's best not to read that place.

It's on your site too.

Stuart only got his elbow up a little bit, but that shouldn't matter - he aimed at the head and got it. That would be a suspension of Polak did it to Lidstrom, but since the redwing is the one putting on the hit, we probably won't see a video explanation of the non-suspension.
GOOD CLEAN BODY CHECK?? WHAT?? Clearly hits him in the head first.

Classy guys you have over on your site too. Is this what happens when you let children on the Internet?

Next game the Blues need to pound on Lidstrom, even if it mean taking penalties, the way the Wings pounded on Pietrangelo. It's not like the refs are going to call all the penalties anyway, considering they called none when Pietrangelo was clearly interfered with twice and took a shot to the head the way Abdelkator took a shot to the head, but the Wings player won't wind up with the 3-game suspension Cole received.
They need to run Howard in the next game. Just straight up plow his ass over. Take the penalties. Take the suspension. It's worth it.
We need to do a little Tkachuk to Hasek action.
They had two chances to take out Howard. First, Backes decides to be a gentleman and run into the goal instead of Howard, then I forget who gently bumps him from behind when they could really drop him since he was playing the puck behind the goal. Next time, they should just bury him. There's no sense in playing clean against Detroit. If you're gonna get s*** calls, might as well justify them by actually doing something worth a penalty.

Once again, I say the better team always wins a 7 game series.

Good teams don't blame the refs or misfortune for losing games. Good teams rise above the adversity and win games.

Yeah usually the better team will win a 7 game series, but not always.

We also aren't talking about the teams blaming the refs, St. Louis did not blame the refs or any calls going against them for the loss last night. Of course no team is going to get all poopy-faced and blame the refs for the loss. But there are plenty of instances where refs make a bad call that does effect the outcome of the game, that is undeniable.

Could you imagine if some Blues fans were Red Wing fans and watched the past two playoff series against the Sharks? They would commit suicide. I've never seen so much complaining over "officiating directly leading to goals" or just straight up whining about the Wings. All this recent success must be going straight to their heads. Obviously all teams have their good and bad fans but I like to read other teams forums during the season and the Blues fans are not putting on a good showing so far.

Edited by 8 Legged RedWing

Well, Nightfall, I think you are underselling the role that luck plays in the outcome quite a bit. I know people hate to hear it, but it's the truth, and hockey is probably the sport most susceptible to randomness and chance, including blown or missed calls by referees. I think there have been plenty of times where the better team in a series has lost because they didn't get any breaks. Granted, a much lower percentage of the time than when the better team wins because they are better.

I also happen to think that all of the above is totally irrelevant though. It doesn't matter if you have the better team and play better; you don't necessarily win because of any of that. You win because you win; the final score is the only thing that ultimately matters.

Luck may play in the outcome of a single game. Bad reffing may play the outcome in a single game. All in all, a 7 game series in the playoffs is the best way to decide a winner. The best team always moves on.

I looked back at my previous post, and I may have misspoke. In a single game, anyone can win. Bad luck and a bounce or two can decide a game. However, in the end, the cream always rises to the top. The better teams always have a good record and go to the playoffs. There they fight it out for the cup, and in my 20 years of watching hockey (yes, I was a late bloomer), I can't remember a 7 game series that the better team lost. If the lower seed won, it was because of hard work, showing perseverance, and so on.

I do agree with your last paragraph. :)

It's on your site too.

Classy guys you have over on your site too. Is this what happens when you let children on the Internet?

Idiots with the same mentality are on this site too. I could find a few hundred examples of that kind of behavior to other teams the Wings play.

Personally, I think people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones....but that's just my thought.

That's just rah rah talk...sometning you hear players say to the media.

Call it whatever you want...excuses, reasons, etc.

The facts are that sometimes bad calls are made and sometimes those bad calls cost teams games. Period.

Very true story, but fighting through adversity is what makes a team a cup champion. Losing some games in the regular season isn't bad, especially if you are a cup contender. The playoffs will tell the tale of these two teams in the end. It will be the team that works harder and competes harder that wins the Cup. The refs may dictate a game. Luck may dictate a game. In the end, the teams dictate who advance. No excuses in a 7 game series.

Yeah usually the better team will win a 7 game series, but not always.

We also aren't talking about the teams blaming the refs, St. Louis did not blame the refs or any calls going against them for the loss last night. Of course no team is going to get all poopy-faced and blame the refs for the loss. But there are plenty of instances where refs make a bad call that does effect the outcome of the game, that is undeniable.

Please give me an example of a better team losing in a 7 game playoff series to a team that played pathetic hockey. In 20 years of watching hockey, I have never seen one.

Lost in all of this is an ACTUAL Game Winning Goal by Johan Franzen. He actually scored with the game tied, in a clutch situation! I have to give him credit for that! Good on ya, Franzen! Keep it up now!

cprice12.....what are we gonna do with you? Your true colors have come out in all those quotes...take Howard out? WTF? You can't score on him, so you want to injure him? Is that how you would like to see your team win, tainted? You get a -1000 just for being two-faced... PLUS you talk crap about our city...trust me, I know plenty of places in STL that are FAR worse than Detroit...

Again, I don't do it often, but Way to Go Franzen!

Idiots with the same mentality are on this site too. I could find a few hundred examples of that kind of behavior to other teams the Wings play. Personally, I think people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones....but that's just my thought.

I can neither confirm nor deny that statement. At least here you see a few of those across 20~ pages, whereas their GDT was only 6 pages and filled with pure hate.

Lets not go through this again...thank you.

I must have missed this convo when it came around the first time, but I'm assuming you mean Franzen scored a GWG when the game wasn't 0-0 or something along those lines? Not trying to restart the debate, just figure out what you meant by that since he does lead the league with 9 GWG.

I can't believe I actually want the Pens to win a game tonight.

Edited by rrasco

I can neither confirm nor deny that statement. At least here you see a few of those across 20~ pages, whereas their GDT was only 6 pages and filled with pure hate.

Heh, ooooooook. As a regular member, that statement by you surprises me.

Its not bad to admit that some members are idiots. I will say that the Blues forum has more of it, but still, we have our fair share of idiocy.

Please give me an example of a better team losing in a 7 game playoff series to a team that played pathetic hockey. In 20 years of watching hockey, I have never seen one.

Well you're right, no team is going to win a 7 game series playing pathetic hockey! That doesn't mean there haven't been upsets. How about Detroit getting swept by Anaheim in 03.

LGB is a cesspool; please don't bring it here. I understand you calling out someone, but not if it involves completely derailing the GDT. I know PMs don't pack quite the same punch as a public flogging, but that's the only alternative I can offer you right now.