• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NBCnothingbutcrosby

Time for my Cleary update.

Rate this topic

I know my hate for Dan Cleary seems to get under a lot of Cleary lover's skin here. To me he is worthless I've been saying it for a while. So at 49 games on the books, lets see what he has done.

10 goals

11 assists

On a world class team. He's a horrible skater, injured often, and is completely worthless especially for how much he is making this year (2.8 million) Keep in mind Zetterberg's cap hit is 6 million.

So I pose this question again, without Crimson trolling me. How many of you would like to see Cleary gone at the trade deadline this year? At this point I'd trade him for a washing machine just to get him off and Mursak on.

Edited by NBCnothingbutcrosby

If Holland supposedly couldnt get a 7th rd pick for a younger Hudler I doubt very much we would get anything for Cleary.

I don't even care if we receive nothing. I just want him off our team, I want his salary off the books... lets trade him for future consideration lol or a dollar. I think Mursak's speed would do more for our team right now than whatever the hell Cleary does out there. Usually it consists of losing the puck and skating slow.

Cleary has the kinda heart you need in the playoffs, could care less what he does in the regular season.

Well, with that reasoning. I think adding a savvy veteran who has never won a cup before (think Dallas Drake) would pay more dividends than having Cleary skate pedestrian in the post season

Cleary doesn't hurt you. He's responsibly defensively and difficult to play against which is ideal for playoff hockey.

Despite his scoring slump, Cleary is still on pace for 36 points, which will most likely be 7th best amongst our forwards. I'll take 40 point guys that play two way hockey on my third line all day.

Well, with that reasoning. I think adding a savvy veteran who has never won a cup before (think Dallas Drake) would pay more dividends than having Cleary skate pedestrian in the post season

No one is going to take Cleary in a trade so he isn't going anywhere. I agree that we should add a Dallas Drake type at the deadline but it should be one of Emmerton, Miller, Eaves to go.

How is Cleary pedestrian? He is one of this teams hardest working players. It seems a lot of people hate on Cleary because of his contract, if he made 1.5M people wouldn't be complaining.

Guest irishock

Remember when the board was happy Cleary got signed to that 2.8 mil annually extension.... good days

While his cap hit isnt great, he does add grit and heart which at times this team seriously lacks he also is imo a versatile player, and can move up in the lineup for a short period of time, however i would be willing to move him if we got some bigger more physical players in his place that bring the same grit and toughness.

HEs certainly not causing a problem for this team

Edited by cnot19

He will finish with 40 points. What I'd like to do is trade him for a player, who given the wide open nets he's presented with, will bury more often than him. His NTC/NMC expires in a few days and I am ok with trading him. Only for an upgrade, though. Obviously we'd have to throw in a decent pick.

No one is going to take Cleary in a trade so he isn't going anywhere. I agree that we should add a Dallas Drake type at the deadline but it should be one of Emmerton, Miller, Eaves to go.

How is Cleary pedestrian? He is one of this teams hardest working players. It seems a lot of people hate on Cleary because of his contract, if he made 1.5M people wouldn't be complaining.

exactly - what's your point? He's an overpaid 3rd line player? I'm down with that.

If Holland supposedly couldnt get a 7th rd pick for a younger Hudler I doubt very much we would get anything for Cleary.

The rumour was they didn't get offers they wanted... anyone who thinks a team wouldn't throw a 7th rounder at Hudler hasn't met Glen Slather ;)

Guest Crymson

I know my hate for Dan Cleary seems to get under a lot of Cleary lover's skin here. To me he is worthless I've been saying it for a while. So at 49 games on the books, lets see what he has done.

10 goals

11 assists

On a world class team. He's a horrible skater, injured often, and is completely worthless especially for how much he is making this year (2.8 million) Keep in mind Zetterberg's cap hit is 6 million.

So I pose this question again, without Crimson trolling me. How many of you would like to see Cleary gone at the trade deadline this year? At this point I'd trade him for a washing machine just to get him off and Mursak on.

You can't even spell my name correctly. That's not surprising; given that you've ignored every single point I've ever made in argument with you, it's hardly surprising that you'd fail to process the name behind them.

And, as usual, your arguments about Cleary are asinine. Why are you so fixated upon him? What happened between you two? Did he refuse to give you an autograph? Did he look at you the wrong way once? Perhaps he told you that you couldn't cut it in the NHL? Yeesh.

Edited by Crymson

10 goals

11 assists

This is one of the ridiculous posts I've seen in a while (granted I haven't been reading this site much lately). I can understand you disliking a player or not wanting him on the roster. But when you blow things way out of proportion and make the situation sound a million times worse than even the worst case scenario you just sound like an emotional baby whose throwing a fit because he isn't getting his way

He's going to score 15-20 goals playing on the 3rd line essentially the whole year and he's worthless? The contract may be a little inflated but what do you expect for production out of a 3rd line guy? Add the fact that he's dependable and a good teammate and I'm pretty sure that he's not getting traded.

10 goals

11 assists

You are going to be hard pressed to convince the majority to trade him, sorry. He is one of the most versitaile players the Wings have, capable of producing in more of an offensive role, or playing more of a 3rd line/defense role like he's been doing most of this season.

Is he worth this much in his current contract? Debatable. Is he worth trading? Not to me, and so far not to a lot of others on here.

Why are you so fixated on him in a bad way anyways, even when he was doing solid last season? Why not any other athletes on the team, and why just him? Really do want to know why and not just asking this to sound like a smart allec.

EDIT: And you'll probably find very few in here who are "Dan Cleary lovers". It's just you having an extreme view on the complete opposite end of the spectrum which causes you to think this.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Would I mind seeing Cleary get traded? Not at all, given the right circumstances i.e. a serious upgrade. Say maybe in a package deal to NJ for Parise. For a gritty, older "Dallas Drake" style player capable of upping their physical game in the playoffs? We have one of those right now & his name is Dan Cleary. Regardless, if the Wings traded him, who would answer the phones at the Red Wings residence?

10 goals

11 assists

I'm really sort of flabbergasted. I never, in a million years, thought I'd ever be in a position where I'd have to defend Cleary against charges like these. I guess if you really, honestly, feel this way about Cleary then you win. There is probably no reasoning with you, as your viewpoint is obviously extreme to the point of absurdity. So you just win. Cleary is a worthless, pathetic, non-player who has only made the team through sheer happenstance, and should be regarded as an aberration who fluked his way onto an NHL team when a washing machine is worth more to that same team. He is most definitely not a solid third line Winger with average offensive ability and situational value. Most definitely not that. You win. And your argument is perfectly reasonable too.

Also, the argument that you should trade a guy just because better players are on the trading block is dumb. Unless you have the best player in the world at every position, there is always a better player out there, which according to this rationale means you should always be trading...constantly...until somehow you create a dream team consisting of hybrids made from the DNA of Datsyuk, Weber, Rick Nash, and Lidstrom. But then you'd have to trade for a goalie. Saying that you should trade a guy for someone better means that the only two untouchable Wings are Lidstrom and Datsyuk and everybody else should be traded or considered trade bait. I'm sure they'd play real well with that hanging over their heads.

For someone coming off a 26 goal campaign in 68 games (which equates to 31 goals if he played 82 games)...this criticism seems awfully harsh.

He might be past his prime and what he's able to bring to the table will start to decline, but demonizing him like this is a massive slap in the face to what he's provided this team over the years. He's coming off his best season ever!

He's not a top tier talent nor is he expected to be, he's a hard working player who battles and shows up for key games. Not only that, but he's very versatile and can play on any line, doesn't gripe when he gets demoted, plays the same hard working game. What's not to like?