• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NBCnothingbutcrosby

Time for my Cleary update.

Rate this topic

You are going to be hard pressed to convince the majority to trade him, sorry. He is one of the most versitaile players the Wings have, capable of producing in more of an offensive role, or playing more of a 3rd line/defense role like he's been doing most of this season.

Is he worth this much in his current contract? Debatable. Is he worth trading? Not to me, and so far not to a lot of others on here.

Why are you so fixated on him in a bad way anyways, even when he was doing solid last season? Why not any other athletes on the team, and why just him? Really do want to know why and not just asking this to sound like a smart allec.

EDIT: And you'll probably find very few in here who are "Dan Cleary lovers". It's just you having an extreme view on the complete opposite end of the spectrum which causes you to think this.

Honestly, outside of Ericsson, you'd be hard pressed to convince the majority here that we should trade anybody.

I'll give the same answer I give with Filppula and Franzen. It all depends on whether the right deal is presented. Cleary is not untouchable, but it's doubtful he has a high trade value, unlike those players or even Hudler.

Well, with that reasoning. I think adding a savvy veteran who has never won a cup before (think Dallas Drake) would pay more dividends than having Cleary skate pedestrian in the post season

But Dallas Drake has won a Cup, here in Detroit as a matter of fact. Plus, he's been retired for a few years already so I think he may be a bit out of shape.

Guest Crymson

I remember when the OP showed up last year after Cleary's ankle injury to rave about how Cleary is so injury-prone... as if sustaining an ankle injury after being hit by a slapshot proves anything. The thread was deleted.

I know my hate for Dan Cleary seems to get under a lot of Cleary lover's skin here. To me he is worthless I've been saying it for a while. So at 49 games on the books, lets see what he has done.

10 goals

11 assists

On a world class team. He's a horrible skater, injured often, and is completely worthless especially for how much he is making this year (2.8 million) Keep in mind Zetterberg's cap hit is 6 million.

So I pose this question again, without Crimson trolling me. How many of you would like to see Cleary gone at the trade deadline this year? At this point I'd trade him for a washing machine just to get him off and Mursak on.

Sometimes i wonder if i watch the same games that others are watching. 1) I don't find cleary to be a horrible skater. He may not be the fastest but he skates hard. He goes into the corners and tries to come out with the puck. He gets back on defense and plays a pretty good defensive forward role. 2) I don't see how he is completely worthless? You just stated that the guy has 10 goals and 11 assists and followed it up by calling him worthless? He's ganna net you 15-20 goals and probably 25-30 assists playing mostly 3rd line minutes. Thats 40-50 points...Ill take that all day from a guy who is also defensively responsible and willing to play a gritty game in the corners.

I think about some of the contract hits out there like Scott Gomez at 7 mil and DiPietro signed through what, 10 years? Jeff Finger at $4 mil (yeah, Jeff who?) and suddenly a $2.8 mil contract for a hard working player doesn't sound so bad. It's not like we are at max on the cap either where his $2.8 mil is keeping us from signing someone else, we still have the room to do so.

This is one of the ridiculous posts I've seen in a while (granted I haven't been reading this site much lately). I can understand you disliking a player or not wanting him on the roster. But when you blow things way out of proportion and make the situation sound a million times worse than even the worst case scenario you just sound like an emotional baby whose throwing a fit because he isn't getting his way

HEY! I resemble that remark! :hysterical:

The OP doesn't understand roles in hockey apparently.... he's been told by Babs to play a grinding 3rd line role, he's out there to finish checks and wear down defense, he's not trying to score goals but will certainly accept them as they come. First priority is to play your role, and right now Cleary's role is not to be a scoring forward. So stop hating on him.

The notion of him (Cleary) being a top six is silly in most cases imo but as a third or fourth liner he has been better then great. You can't teach being "clutch" afterall and that has been our Danny boy to a tee. The problem is when their are players like Mursak, Tartar, Andersson & Nyquist coming up Cleary obviously has a lot of work to do. But trade him? No thanks.

Guest Crymson

A friend of mine, who is a Wild fan, classifies Cleary as the type of role player every team wants. He can put up 20 goals and 20 assists per season; he can play on the power play; he can play on the PK; he's physical and hardworking, and he's responsible defensively.

He's worth the price.

A friend of mine, who is a Wild fan, classifies Cleary as the type of role player every team wants. He can put up 20 goals and 20 assists per season; he can play on the power play; he can play on the PK; he's physical and hardworking, and he's responsible defensively.

He's worth the price.

1- Why didn't you just tell everyone you were friends with Danny "boy" Cleary?

2- Cleary is a f*cking Minnesota Wild fan??

I know my hate for Dan Cleary seems to get under a lot of Cleary lover's skin here. To me he is worthless I've been saying it for a while. So at 49 games on the books, lets see what he has done.

10 goals

11 assists

When has he ever been an amazing point producer aside from when he was on the line with Mule and Hank...any correlation there? He does just what you ask of him night in and night out. Back checks well, gets the puck out of the corners and goes to those places, throws the weight, and has an above average 2nd burst (you don't have to look further than last night's goal against the Nucks). You have tried for the longest to necro the s*** out of past arguments to make yourself seem like prognosticator but no one, especially me, will think much less of Clears. What he brings to this team really doesn't match much of what your little attempts at disposing of such players presents. As others have said, it better damn well be something worth it to let go of Danny. In the coming years, maybe to make way for the talent we have down in GR. Interesting to see an injury to surface such as he had back in the '09-'10 season with the meniscus issue, yet work through it, can't trade for other players like that guy.To make a thread dedicated to the only real topic I have ever seen you post in just reiterates what you bring to these discussions......

cleary is a very hard worker and has upsides, like beign a good 2 way forward, BUT, he is very predictable every time he enters the offensive zone with his weak angled shot at the goalie's logo or the curl back and a mostly blind saucer pass and he falls A LOT! would i rather have mursak in the line up? yes. but at the same time, does cleary turn it up in the post season and have experience that is required to winn lord stanley's cup? yes. i'm at a crossroad on this one...