Photo
- - - - -

What happened to Zetterberg's scoring touch?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

He may be slightly snakebitten, but I think it is more a case of taking a ton of low percentage shots. Z just throws it at the net alot to try to create chances. Like I said above. He is being limited to where he can get shots off from.

Great insights :clap:
Zetts is a chucker, which in hockey, unlike hoops is a good thing. Unfortunately for Hank he has the 4'9''pocket Czech on his wing instead of someone that can screen out the goaltender.

Look next to the word "intangibles" in the dictionary and you see a picture of Z. His value to this club is immeasurable.
You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.

#62 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

When Zetterberg has been effective in the past, he has had a "grinder" on his line. Whether it be Tomas Holmstrom, Dan Cleary, or Johan Franzen, there has been someone who created chaos in front of the netminder, and someone who could muck it up, bang bodies, and win battles along the boards. These guys could go get the puck in the corner and get it to Zetterberg in the slot or beside the crease.

You know I had a nightmare that Zetterberg retired after this season... :scared: :( :crybaby: Ugh...

But anyhow I think Zetterberg has always had to fight a lot of the battles along the boards for his line. Perhaps he's had to do that more this year than any other year, I'm not sure. If that's the case, then that can definitely wear on a player who isn't used to it.

I think his speed is really impacted. A lot of times you'll see him skate from the wing or wherever towards the net but then he'll turn back and pass it to the blue line. Maybe with the extra gear he would have took it closer to the net, if not directly to the net, or draw in more defenders then pass it off to someone. You're right that he hasn't always been the fastest skater. But he used to really fly out there in his own way and we haven't seen that all that much.

I also think his confidence isn't where it used to be perhaps because of the injuries. I don't think his confidence is shot but it's simply not as high as it used to be. When you try to do certain things on the ice that you really like to do but can't execute like you used to because your body is being a pain then undoubtedly your performance will suffer. Furthermore I think those low percentage shots are a part of his whole process or struggle with trying to find a different way to be effective.

Plus I think we need to cut him (or any player for that matter) a little slack when we compare the way he plays now to his past playoff performances. Coaches and players in the league say all that time that the playoffs are like the fountain of youth; that the playoff style makes you feel like an 18 year old kid again. For Z's sake I just hope he gets better and better little by little as the year progresses.

Edited by Red Wings Addict, 04 February 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#63 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

It's being spoon fed to Flip and Huds?? I keed Posted Image (so you know I really am)

Least of my worries is when Hank will start scoring, he still does what is expected of him night in and night out.

Better angle shots, but as it was said on that amazing post on the page before, he is backchecking even more than past seasons and brings the puck into the zone for his line better than most centers do in this league then coincidentally sets them up for more shots. It will come, start it tonight Z.

Edited by HankthaTank, 04 February 2012 - 01:22 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#64 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Using his forehand and shooting with some authority would be a good place to start.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#65 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:06 AM

I'd love to see the Hank that would regularly put up 40+ goals back again.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#66 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

I think he isnt playing at 100% (in the NHL who really is nowadays?). But when your a small skilled player you need speed to be effective. Take a look at Scott Gomez and Martin St Louis ... a decade ago they were both premier "little men" (obviously St Louis was always on another level) - but today the stark difference can be attributed on an individual level to a couple things. Firstly, St Louis can f*cking cork the puck. Secondly, he still skates like hes 25 years old. Gomez was never a good skater but he certainly had more jump earlier in his career. When you a little guy odds are you arent going to put pucks in the net via leaning on defenders on net drives or taking punishment in the crease and slamming home garbage goals. Three step quickness and good top-speed is what imperative to create oddman rushes, win footraces, and find lanes before a defender gets a bead on you.

Hank is playing just fine within his means - but watching him out there he just doesnt look to have that explosive stride anymore. His stride has always been somewhat of a wide-tracker variety (similar to Fedorov) and hes always been great as picking up speed coming out of turns (similar to Crosby). Lets not forget he hurt his knee in the last week of the regular season last year - if that has become somewhat of a nagging/recurring issue but isnt serious enough to warrant surgery I wouldnt be suprised to find out that hes been nursing it on and off all year.

#67 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'd love to see the Hank that would regularly put up 40+ goals back again.

He has ONE 40+ goal season..

I'd love to see the Hank that would regularly put up 30+ goals again though.

#68 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

He looks like he's comfortable out there again. Racking up points the last few games. Obvious to most that Z has more to offer than scoring, but its great to see him putting points on the board as well as keeping the other team off the scoresheet.

#69 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

1 goal and 2 assists tonight and he's not even one of the three stars.

#70 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

1 goal and 2 assists tonight and he's not even one of the three stars.

He was even better than the stats suggest. Probably his best game of the season.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#71 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

The Last 5-10 games or so he's looking better. Bit quicker like his old self. I don't know but Hank will be just fine no matter what the numbers tell us :P

#72 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Great game for Zetterberg tonight. We need to show him so love on here! He totally set that Franzen goal up, with that great pass to Lidstrom, that drew Coburn from Franzen in front of the net. Great goal, great play!
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#73 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

#74 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

back injuries f*** your s*** up

They absolutely do. I know from experience.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#75 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

2 goals 1 assist.

Z has been tearing it up the last few weeks.

#76 NorwegianWing

NorwegianWing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

dirtydangles said it best. We're lacking a proper-caliber player for Hank to mesh with. Question is, who would he play well with?

Filppula! :clap:

#77 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

2 goals 1 assist.

Z has been tearing it up the last few weeks.

12 points in his last 6 games.

16 points in February.

It's great to see Z getting it going at the right time.

#78 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Was there ever really a doubt that he would. Though some were heralding the demise of Henrik Zetterberg, in the not too distant past (one season ago) there was a guy who scored 80 pts. and was top ten or fifteen in the league in scoring. But have one slow season and the past is forgotten and all the "fans" hold you over the fire. Good on Zetterberg, but again, was there ever really a doubt?

Edited by kipwinger, 10 March 2012 - 02:31 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#79 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Ok, well. Now that we know where his scoring is, what say we meet up again next year? Same time, same place, same topic? Between Hank and Pav, these threads are kind of becoming a tradition.

#80 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

He must currently have the best backhand in the league right? I mean, only others I can think of who have a great backhand are Datsyuk, Crosby and... I know there's someone else but I can think of his name.