• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 diehardredwing19

diehardredwing19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:32 AM

Hey guys and girls, just wanted to know why you guys think or KNOW Cory Emmerton is playing instead of Jan Mursak, Jan Mursak who i think should be in the lineup over Emmerton anyday, any game. Thoughts?

#2 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:47 AM

I suspect that Mursak is not yet at peak condition. He no doubt lost a tremendous amount of aerobic conditioning, and quite a bit of leg muscle, while recuperating from his injury. It takes time to reattain that.

#3 diehardredwing19

diehardredwing19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1327567628' post='2249927']
I suspect that Mursak is not yet at peak condition. He no doubt lost a tremendous amount of aerobic conditioning, and quite a bit of leg muscle, while recuperating from his injury. It takes time to reattain that.
[/quo

Yea, makes sense. I guess i thought that because he was back with the GRG's and has played 2 or 3 games now with the Wings this month, that he's all healthy and ready to go! but i guess the Wings know something we dont, or Babs just likes Emmy over Mursak right now who knows. But get healthy Mursak he would be a upgrade to our 4th line centre posistion and id like to see abby on his wing, because abbys way more effective when he plays wing instead of centre

#4 matemate

matemate

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

and why homer over conner/andersson? because holland and babcock hates gritty guys.

Homer - Emmerton - Miller

In babcocks and hollands eyes this is "ultimate checkingline".

Edited by matemate, 26 January 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#5 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Emmerton is a center, Mursak is a wing.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#6 jfranzen

jfranzen

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

My guess is that they want to show off Emmerton for a possible trade soon.
I'm offended that you're offended.

#7 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

and why homer over conner/andersson? because holland and babcock hates gritty guys.

In babcocks and hollands eyes this is "ultimate checkingline".

I'm neutral on Emmerton. He is what he is: a 4th line center. Mursak is more multi-dimensional and would be a better option, but as was said he is a winger.

But I don't think it can be argued that Miller and Homer aren't bringing it 100% on every shift. Those two are always flying out there.

#8 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

This would be my guess as well.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#9 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

It made sense earlier in the year when we had need for a center on the 4th line because both Abby and Helm were on the third line.

I'd like to see something more along the lines of:

Mursak-Helm-Cleary
Miller-Abdelkader-Connor/Holmstrom
Posted Image

#10 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

This whole season I think I've only noticed Emmerton a small handful of times. The kid has shown absolutely no spark whatsoever. Nothing against him, he's not really hurting, but he's certainly not helping and I don't think he'll ever amount to much. He's playing because we've lost our depth at center.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#11 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

If you're insinuating that Holmstrom is not a gritty player, then I can only assume that you haven't watched the Red Wings play much over the last 14 seasons. The guy is almost as tough as they come. He gets his ass kicked in front of the net every single game.

I don't remember the last time Babcock iced this line.

Yea, makes sense. I guess i thought that because he was back with the GRG's and has played 2 or 3 games now with the Wings this month, that he's all healthy and ready to go! but i guess the Wings know something we dont, or Babs just likes Emmy over Mursak right now who knows. But get healthy Mursak he would be a upgrade to our 4th line centre posistion and id like to see abby on his wing, because abbys way more effective when he plays wing instead of centre

Mursak is a winger.

It made sense earlier in the year when we had need for a center on the 4th line because both Abby and Helm were on the third line.

I'd like to see something more along the lines of:

Mursak-Helm-Cleary
Miller-Abdelkader-Connor/Holmstrom

It's going to be hard for Eaves to bust back into this lineup, especially as his recuperation to the necessary level of physical fitness is going to take awhile.

Edited by Crymson, 26 January 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#12 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 5,009 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Emmerton is a center, Mursak is a wing.

This is true, but Emmerton doesn't even center the 4th line right now. Abdelkader has been lately with Emmerton and Homer on the wings. I don't like Abdelkader at center for the most part, but if he's going to play there, then I would much rather see Mursak dressed than Emmerton.

Nothing against Emmerton either; he has been decent enough -- I just don't see what he brings to the team. Mursak is fast and a relentless forechecker. I suspect they are just giving Emmerton an adequate shot to prove himself as Mursak is obviously more valuable when the playoffs roll around.

Edited by GoWings1905, 26 January 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#13 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

I personally think it's due to a.) we can't send him down without him being claimed, b.) we're trying to get better trade value for him. Personally I don't find Emmerton a good fit for the wings and their style, nor do I think he's mature enough. I see him being apart of a trade before the deadline, or an offseason bundle.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#14 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

blows my mind that mursak is not in every night. guess we are saving him for playoffs.

#15 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Emmerton is just another easily replaceable 4th liner. There are many people we could play instead of him and get a better or similar result.

Holmstrom is playing because he has immunity on this team and will be important in the playoffs on the powerplay. I expect Babcock to rest him a lot late in the season because of his age.

Miller had a really hot streak for a while and has outplayed anyone else on the 4th line.

Mursak is a strange case, because he's not gritty enough to be on the checking line, but where else would he play? He's not going to crack the top 6 anytime soon.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#16 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:57 AM

Mursak should be in over Emmerton every single game.

Maybe they are just giving Emmerton a long look to see what he has to offer. It's not a whole lot. Mursak is quicker, more physical, and has better hands and a better shot. Basically, everything is an improvement on Cory. I am a bit shocked he hasn't been in every night, especially after his impressive 2 games, and it's had me shocked and angry. Surely though Mursak will soon get an extended oppertunity to prove himself and unlike Emmerton, he will take it with both hands.

Emmerton is just another easily replaceable 4th liner. There are many people we could play instead of him and get a better or similar result.

Holmstrom is playing because he has immunity on this team and will be important in the playoffs on the powerplay. I expect Babcock to rest him a lot late in the season because of his age.

Miller had a really hot streak for a while and has outplayed anyone else on the 4th line.

Mursak is a strange case, because he's not gritty enough to be on the checking line, but where else would he play? He's not going to crack the top 6 anytime soon.

Ummm, yes, he is.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#17 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Ewwww this is LGW not HFboards, don't say discuss after your OP.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#18 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

Can ANYONE explain to me why Emmerton is in over Mursak?

When Jan is in, our 4th line looks effective.

Without him, it's a liability.

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 05 February 2012 - 01:29 AM.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#19 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:10 AM

Im thinking they know that Jan is better than Emmerton and already have him penciled in on the 4th line for playoffs. They are just bringing him along slowly in his recovery. There is no need to rush Jan back and risk a re-aggravation of that injury. Get him a couple games here and there to help get back into condition and make sure everything is healed. I think we will see a lot more of him the last 20 games. If that's what the brass is doing I am in 100% agreement with it.

It also gives Emmerton a chance to put together some good performances before the trade deadline and hopefully raise his value a little bit. If hes in the organization after this season (heck even the trade deadline) it will be a huge surprise. Personally I think Emmerton sees himself losing his spot and its effecting his motivation. Since the first of the year he has taken a step or two back from how he had been playing through the year.

#20 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

Im thinking they know that Jan is better than Emmerton and already have him penciled in on the 4th line for playoffs. They are just bringing him along slowly in his recovery. There is no need to rush Jan back and risk a re-aggravation of that injury. Get him a couple games here and there to help get back into condition and make sure everything is healed. I think we will see a lot more of him the last 20 games. If that's what the brass is doing I am in 100% agreement with it.

Some valid in this, and I certainly hope you are right. He did suffer a serious injury so maybe they are just bringing him along slowly. But then I'm a pessimistic person and I always assume the worst. To me its just so frustrating having him sit when I know what hes capable of, and even in his 3 games he showed it so I wonder why hes not in permanently!!